CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

so a week ago we increased my lithium dose in the evening (total 750mg...450 ER and 300 IR...I’ve gone toxic above that amount before).  About three days after that I started having GI symptoms (nausea and abdominal pain).  I also started cold medicine around the same time though (NyQuil/dayquil).  

Anyone have a guess at what the more likely culprit is?  I have drugs that help (bentyl for abdominal pain and zofran for nausea) because of sometimes getting similar symptoms with migraines.  

I’m just hoping that I won’t have to drop the lithium back down.  I know that GI symptoms can come along with toxicity, but I can’t imagine that’s what this.

8 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

Hi,

so a week ago we increased my lithium dose in the evening (total 750mg...450 ER and 300 IR...I’ve gone toxic above that amount before).  About three days after that I started having GI symptoms (nausea and abdominal pain).  I also started cold medicine around the same time though (NyQuil/dayquil).  

Anyone have a guess at what the more likely culprit is?  I have drugs that help (bentyl for abdominal pain and zofran for nausea) because of sometimes getting similar symptoms with migraines.  

I’m just hoping that I won’t have to drop the lithium back down.  I know that GI symptoms can come along with toxicity, but I can’t imagine that’s what this.

You don’t take viberzi do you?

@dancesintherain I think the only way to really know for certain is to contact your pdoc and possibly or probably get some lab work done. I hope it's not toxicity but I really would want to be extra careful given your history. I'd hate for something bad to happen! I care and just want to make sure you are ok. So I think a call to your Dr really is in order in this situation. 

Thanks—I actually just got it done this morning.  So that’s covered!

5 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

You don’t take viberzi do you?

No...haven’t actually heard of it?

• Like 1

Just now, dancesintherain said:

Thanks—I actually just got it done this morning.  So that’s covered!

No...haven’t actually heard of it?

Good. It’s a new ibs med which works incredibly well, but I just did more research on it a few days ago after experiencing severe upper abdominal pain and it seems to be giving some people pancreatitis. 😮 

So be careful if doc ever suggests it for stomach stuff. 

Just thought I’d make sure it wasn’t that!

Look at the label carefully, doesn’t NyQuil/DayQuil contain nsaids? It might be safer to take individual meds targeting your cold symptoms, than an overall OTC, so you can adjust the nsaid dosage. 

I could be wrong on that though, I don’t use it. 

Oops: just googled, it has acetaminophen. My bad. 

Edited by Rabbit37

Thank you both.  I think the Bloodwork usually gets back pretty quickly, so I should know sooner or later.  

Rabbit, I hadn’t even thought of the NSAID potential, so thanks for flagging it for future purchases.

Thanks!  Me too.  I’m leaning toward it being a combination of cold medicine and anticipation related to the trip/being with family.  I can’t imagine that I jumped from 0.4 to toxic with a 150 mg increase.

Well it’s not the lithium.  That’s only at 0.5.

i refused to let her increase it just for the sake of increasing it.  I’ve been toxic at a slightly higher dose (I take 750 now and I’ve been toxic at 900 and 1050), so I don’t want that to happen again.  She didn’t sound thrilled with that refusal, but I can’t risk it.  It landed me in the hospital with fluids being pushed in me.