CrazyBoards.org

I suffer from extreme pathologic rage attacks, and would like to know which meds inhibit hypothalamic attack area EXCEPT antipsychotics or antidopaminergics. I would like to knoe about the potent ones and ones which do not take long to work. I would like to avoid beta blockers if possible. thank you.

5 hours ago, bygonebebygone said:

I suffer from extreme pathologic rage attacks, and would like to know which meds inhibit hypothalamic attack area 

I found an article on various drugs used to treat "intermittent explosive disorder" attacks in humans:  https://www.uptodate.com/contents/intermittent-explosive-disorder-in-adults-treatment-and-prognosis.........

According to the article, first line treatment would be SSRI antidepressants in general, but mentions fluoxetine (Prozac) in particular.

Article also mentions the use of phenytoin (Dilantin), which is an anti-seizure med, and oxecarbazepine and carbamazepine, also anti-seizure meds.

Also mentioned are lamotrigine, topiramate, valproate sodium, and lithium.........According to the article, CBT therapy can also be helpful.

Are you currently seeing a psychiatrist?

Edited by CrazyRedhead