CrazyBoards.org

BrianOCD

Do Benzos Help Rebuild Serotonin?

I've been reluctant to restart my benzo but I'm getting increasingly desperate.  I'm aware Benzos mechanism of action slows all the chemicals down.

My question is by eliminating the excessive worry and ruminations, can benzos potentially rebuild your serotonin system.  I can tell now I'm extremely deficient.  I'm waiting on Cymbalta to start acting but it's clearly been a slow process...

I'm not sure how to interpret this article. Maybe someone else can step in...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/5064914

Evidently benzodiazepines do interact with the serotonin system, but I'm just not sure how to make sense of this article.  

Well that article seems to say it generally reduces serotonin and norepinephrine which I thought was the case.

But what I'm wondering is about the therapeutic effects of Benzos.  Like in the long run will they inevitably increase serotonin / dopamine levels in the brain by shutting off anxiety, worries, ruminations which obviously deplete serotonin / dopamine ...

1 hour ago, BrianOCD said:

Well that article seems to say it generally reduces serotonin and norepinephrine which I thought was the case.

But what I'm wondering is about the therapeutic effects of Benzos.  Like in the long run will they inevitably increase serotonin / dopamine levels in the brain by shutting off anxiety, worries, ruminations which obviously deplete serotonin / dopamine ...

I believe benzodiazepines do increase dopamine, and it has something to do with stimulation of the α1 subunit of the GABAA receptor, but I can't recall or find where I read this... I don't know about serotonin though...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

\Like in the long run will they inevitably increase serotonin / dopamine levels in the brain by shutting off anxiety, worries, ruminations which obviously deplete serotonin / dopamine ...

It doesn't really work like that.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:43 PM, BrianOCD said:

I am in no ways educated enough to talk about benzo's mechanism of action or anything like that, but I really don't think that's how benzos work. A lot of people aren't truly sure how a lot of psych drugs work. Try not to obsess about this "serotonin" deficiency, since it is probably not true at all. You must wait until your Cymbalta begins to work, and the only drugs that I know of that increase/release serotonin immediately are illicit ones.

Also I believe I read somewhere about Klonopin decreasing serotonin over time, while I think Xanax increased it? Again, I have no credentials to speak on this, so don't take that as fact or even slightly true. This is pure speculation.

• Like 1

Benzos work primarily on GABA.  Just because the anxiety relief from benzos makes your depression better doesn't mean that serotonin has anything to do with it.  There's something like a dozen different chemical imbalances that can result in more or less the same experience of depression. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

Benzos work primarily on GABA.  Just because the anxiety relief from benzos makes your depression better doesn't mean that serotonin has anything to do with it.  There's something like a dozen different chemical imbalances that can result in more or less the same experience of depression. 

I Understand what you're saying.

My question was does it indirectly help serotonin rebuild since anxiety, obsessions, etc....all tend to wear down serotonin in the long run.

13 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

I Understand what you're saying.

My question was does it indirectly help serotonin rebuild since anxiety, obsessions, etc....all tend to wear down serotonin in the long run.

From what I have read, no. Some benzos such as Klonopin are known to decrease serotonin. A lot of benzos can actually cause depression. Although I do think if being on a benzo rids you of your anxiety/panic/obsessions, then yes, your serotonin levels MIGHT increase due to being happier. But that is just a guess, a highly uneducated one. For the most part, I wouldn't seek out benzos in hopes of it directly or indirectly increasing serotonin levels.

14 hours ago, icygrave said:

From what I have read, no. Some benzos such as Klonopin are known to decrease serotonin. A lot of benzos can actually cause depression. Although I do think if being on a benzo rids you of your anxiety/panic/obsessions, then yes, your serotonin levels MIGHT increase due to being happier. But that is just a guess, a highly uneducated one. For the most part, I wouldn't seek out benzos in hopes of it directly or indirectly increasing serotonin levels.

Generally I've always felt better with Ativan...but the withdrawals....oh how I remember them....

I've recently started to get breakthrough depression.  Wondering if my Ativan could be at fault (3mg/day, prn).  I'm trying to taper off of it now.  It's difficult.  I find myself using Benedryl to manage my anxiety... poorly.

20 hours ago, Inanlae said:

I've recently started to get breakthrough depression.  Wondering if my Ativan could be at fault (3mg/day, prn).  I'm trying to taper off of it now.  It's difficult.  I find myself using Benedryl to manage my anxiety... poorly.

Benadryl is OK short term but in the long term it and many other anticholinergic drugs have been linked to dementia, so it is not a drug to take all the time.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

"Common anticholinergic drugs like Benadryl linked to increased dementia risk. In a report published in JAMA Internal Medicine, researchers offers compelling evidence of a link between long-term use of anticholinergic medications like Benadryl and dementia. The ACT results add to mounting evidence that anticholinergics aren’t drugs to take long-term if you want to keep a clear head, and keep your head clear into old age. The body’s production of acetylcholine diminishes with age, so blocking its effects can deliver a double whammy to older people. It’s not surprising that problems with short-term memory, reasoning, and confusion lead the list of side effects of anticholinergic drugs, which also include drowsiness, dry mouth, urine retention, and constipation.

• Like 1