CrazyBoards.org

Nullo

Has anyone else here noticed that for some people stimulants actually slow down thought processes?

I notice that since I've started 27 mg of Concerta my anxiety has improved and I feel more focused - there's less mental "noise" going on, I can actually identify specific thoughts rather than contending with a jumbled mess of thinking. However, while my memory and concentration has improved because of the drug, my processing speed is much slower, it takes time for me to gather my thoughts aloud so I tend to stammer in "fast paced" situations. Am I supposed to learn to adapt to this slower (perhaps more normal) change in my thinking or are there ways of tweaking these changes?

Edited by Nullo

I've never been diagnosed with ADHD, i was prescribed the stimulant for depression, but it has had the unintended effect of calmness and slowing. I doubt this is necessarily evidence of ADHD. I take it there are no ways to tweak this change aside from changing the dose? The 18 mg Concerta dose was too weak for the depression and anxiety and taking 20 mg of ritalin  prior to that seemed to make me irritable.

Edited by Nullo

11 hours ago, Nullo said:

I've never been diagnosed with ADHD, i was prescribed the stimulant for depression, but it has had the unintended effect of calmness and slowing. I doubt this is necessarily evidence of ADHD. I take it there are no ways to tweak this change aside from changing the dose? The 18 mg Concerta dose was too weak for the depression and anxiety and taking 20 mg of ritalin  prior to that seemed to make me irritable.

Actually that is usually a pretty good sign that you have ADHD....stimulants slowing you down and making your thoughts more collected. Supposedly people who truly have ADHD actually calm down on stimulants and those who don't get really wired. Not sure that is always true for everyone. However, it may be because it's methylphenidate-based instead of amphetamine-based. I felt like Focalin (which is similar to Concerta) gave me pure raw focus but no energy and it made me anti-social and kind of "cold". Vyvanse has been much better with Trintellix+Rexulti for my depression.

• Like 1

I didn't know there was another methylphendiate based alternative (the Focalin you mentioned). Apparently it only has three doses, that could be a problem with  how sensitive i am to med changes. I often need to adjust the doses in small ways to find the right match for my sensitivity.

If people with adhd often calm down on stimulants how can you account for the phenomenon of "sluggish cognitive tempo (SCT)"? i wonder if SCT may explain many of my current and past symptoms. that said, do you think it would be worthwhile to pursue an adhd diagnosis or evaluation? not just for personal "what's my diagnosis" reasons but practical reasons.

Dexedrine definitely calms me down, I also can concentrate better.  It also gives me good energy.  I originally started taking it for depression, but it has other benefits as well.  

I agree with browie. Just out of curiosity, did you use Ritalin IR or Ritalin LA?

Ritalin IR- It gave me too much of a "kick", i was way too irritable. My PA didnt have a lot of experience prescribing LA so we went for Concerta. In the past, i had a terrible mental breakdown after taking an overly high prescribed dose of Concerta back in 2009 or so, but so far on this round, no adverse reactions to that effect. :D

Edited by Nullo

So, this is pertaining to your limited dosing options with Concerta, there is a HUGE difference between Ritalin IR and Ritalin LA. Same drug, technically same dose, but the results are completely different.  LA has a noticeably gentle onset,  and a much smoother decrease, with no rebound symptoms (at least in my experience).  Also, you can open the LA capsules and micro manage the dose if need be (my son needs 15mg of LA, but we only have 10 and 20mg here, so I get three 20mg capsules, open them up, divide the contents into four, and put the doses into small containers. Mindbogglingly tedious, but the results are worth it).  My daughter is having similar dose related problems with Concerta, 27mg is not enough, and 36mg gives her sinus tachycardia.  As for the slowing down bit, yeah, I think that's what "normal" is supposed to feel like, but you might be better if you dropped your dose slightly. Good luck :)