CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
~nestling~

2 years since dismissal, need support

Since a Capability Hearing found me incapable on health grounds.

2 years since I was issued with a summary dismissal which was later upgraded to a regular one with notice when I appealed. Apparently they made a 'mistake'.

My health was severely effected, still is. The scars will never heal. 

I don't know if I will ever be able to work again. I hope so, but feel very fragile. I've come a long way, and have new diagnoses and meds, but.

Can anyone else relate?

Edited by ~nestling~

3 hours ago, ~nestling~ said:

No one at all can relate? I feel sad and lonely.

What happened? does it have to do with job dismissal and medical disability? Sorry I'm not sure I understand what your hearing is regarding and what summary/regular dismissal means.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blahblah said:

What happened? does it have to do with job dismissal and medical disability? Sorry I'm not sure I understand what your hearing is regarding and what summary/regular dismissal means.

I was dismissed because I was not well enough to do the full job. the Hearing 2 years ago was to investigate whether I was 'capable' of the job any more. 

Summary is with no notice. Regular is with notice and appropriate pay. 

I'm in the UK. 

• Sad 1

I don't know anything about employment laws in UK. In the US, it is normal (and quite common) that they can fire you (or "lay you off") at any time, for any reason (even if your performance was fine). Almost all companies and corporations are "At Will Employers" meaning that when hired, you must sign/acknowledge that you understand they are not required to give you notice or any reason for dismissal - often times, you get no severance package either, and your benefit/medical coverage will terminate. As a US employee, you really have no protections. Unless you have grounds to sue & take the company to court for discrimination / wrongful termination or something.

I have no idea the employment rules in the UK. I'm assuming they "dismissed" you due to lack of performance (with no notice)? Had you disclosed up front that you required mental health accommodations or had a disability? Will you not get any severance package nor unemployment benefits now?

Edited by Blahblah
  • Like 1

I'd been there 13 years. They gave me admin instead of public facing because I couldn't cope with much public facing work. I was EXCELLENT at the admin, exceeding performance targets. But they needed people public facing, and my work wasn't technically the job description, despite having had the adjustments for years. 

I was given the notice when I appealed - I hadn't committed gross misconduct, which is the only reason for no notice - and they admitted they'd made a mistake giving no notice. [what?!]

All this was 2 years ago and I'm just feeling the loss right now. 

All my colleagues couldn't understand it, as they said I was the most hard working employee. 

Edited by ~nestling~

It's exactly 2 years today. I'm feeling a bit dissociated, and slept all afternoon. Some supportive words would really help, please.

you've really been through the wringer, it looks like. i'm sorry things have been so tough for you, it makes no sense that you were let go so suddenly from a job it seems like you were very competent at. be gentle with yourself today, and keep making small steps forwards. better days are ahead.

I’ve been self-employed for the past couple of decades, so I can’t directly relate to the job situation. I can definitely empathize with not dealing with the public, I have little interaction with the public with what I do. 

I have, though, gone through a couple of life changing traumas this past year, and the anniversaries are during this time. Yes, it can really mess you up. I don’t really have a formal plan to deal with the fallout, just trying to not dwell on it too much, and do whatever little things I can that I enjoy. I hope you can do the same. 

Thank you both so much for your kind words.

The whole situation caused me to have a psychotic breakdown. At least I got some psych help and proper meds as a result.

Then at the end of January my long term therapist terminated our work, the months before were VERY messy and painful in sessions. I have truly been through it. Also my parents' health and Dad losing his sight, and so on.