CrazyBoards.org

icygrave

Which med in your cocktail is your bread and butter?

I am curious, out of all of the medications you take, which one has always been your bread and butter? The one that has helped you the most and is consistent in your cocktail. I'm very interested to hear what you all have to say! You can name several, but try to think of the one that you can't imagine life without.

For me, my bread and butter is Klonopin and Trazodone. The dosages have changed, but not once have either ever been excluded from the cocktail. They both work really, really well for me. The two have been in my cocktail for 5 years, all the way to when I first started getting psychiatric help. Klonopin for panic/anxiety, trazodone for sleep. Let me know what's yours!

Edited by icygrave

5 hours ago, icygrave said:

For me, my bread and butter is Klonopin and Trazodone. 

Yes, these are my foundation meds as well, mainly because of my sleep issues.....If I don't get enough sleep, all my crazy just gets worse and worse....!!

Other stuff, like ADs and APs have all been switched around over the years.....I'm not currently taking an AP because my arrogant and rude former pdoc yanked me off it, and didn't replace it with anything....

I'm a little more depressed since stopping the Abilify, and all my OCD behaviors have gotten somewhat worse as well with no AP..............But at least I'm sleeping, thanks to the Klon and Traz......:)

I see my new pdoc in 2 weeks, so hopefully she will be able to recommend another AP.  

Edited by CrazyRedhead

For me, it's carbamazepine followed closely by Abilify.

• Like 1

Dextroamphetamine, aripiprazole, and desipramine.

Depakote worked wonders for migraine, mood stability and seizures.  But while on this I developed liver damage, so had to get off. 

Currently Klonopin, Trasadone and Zyprexa.  Thinking of adding Limictal for seizure coverage.

For me, it depends on my mood state (which varies from moderate-severe depression episodes, to chronic apathy/anhedonia, with occasional anxiety) My picks:

Effexor: severe depressions & anxiety

Ritalin: anhedonia, apathy, lack of motivation, energy and focus

Lamictal: light /subtle mood stabilization (not enough on it's own for mood episodes)

Edited by Blahblah

I’m in limbo currently. I’m titrating up on clozapine (only at 200 mg so far). So I guess we will see if that is my bread and butter over the other 3 AAP’s I’m on. 

Otherwise, AAP’s have been the only thing that have helped me really. I have SZA disorder.

Of the other ones I’m on now I’d rank them as follows:

1. Seroquel XR (really stops mania and helps anxiety and sleep and maybe psychosis a bit too?)

2. Abilify and invega are tied I guess? Abilify has been in my cocktail for so very long (over 10 years) that I don’t know what it is doing for me anymore if anything? But it did save me from a very long state hospital stay. Invega was added for treatment resistant psychosis and it is decent for that.

But the hope is to get off at least two other of the AAP’s that I’m currently on and just take one with the clozapine. So like maybe abilify + clozapine. Whatever my pdoc thinks would work best with clozapine for me I guess. She has hinted that seroquel XR + clozapine might be the combo but that seems excessive to me. But then again seroquel XR has never let me down. I’m so confused. She also has mentioned clozapine as my only AAP alone. But that was only mentioned once in passing and I doubt that that will happen

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

For me, it depends on my mood state (which varies from moderate-severe depression episodes, to chronic apathy/anhedonia, with occasional anxiety) My picks:

Effexor: severe depressions & anxiety

Ritalin: anhedonia, apathy, lack of motivation, energy and focus

Lamictal: light /subtle mood stabilization (not enough on it's own for mood episodes)

Blah ~  I was thinking of adding Lamicral to my current cocktail, but read that you did not experience good mood control on this drug.  My psych doc mentioned that my last experience with this drug was that it was activating which triggered more anxiety which brought on more mood swings.  My last neurologist wanted me to stay on this drug as it was her belief it helps down the excitability of the electrical activity in my brain thereby giving more control over seizures and mood.  I am vying for trying that again over Vimpat which has a wicked side effect profile.  Thank you for explaining what meds you are on and why. 

i know two meds isn't really a cocktail, but i'm so thankful for risperidone. it's been the stable thing since i started seeing a pdoc even though we've changed ADs. it keeps my concentration together and stops the obsessive spirals.

• Like 2

Everything has a purpose but I would say the anti depressants lexapro helps with anxiety and wellbutrin gives me a little pep + helps with depression.  Lamictal does not seem to do much.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:23 PM, Dewey said:

Blah ~  I was thinking of adding Lamicral to my current cocktail, but read that you did not experience good mood control on this drug.  My psych doc mentioned that my last experience with this drug was that it was activating which triggered more anxiety which brought on more mood swings.  My last neurologist wanted me to stay on this drug as it was her belief it helps down the excitability of the electrical activity in my brain thereby giving more control over seizures and mood. 

I have also been told that  Lamictal calms down Glutamate/ excitability response in the brain. Titration can be difficult for some. I noticed benefit when I first hit 75mg. Now, years later, TBH I'm not sure what it is doing, but I'm on low dose (100mg) so i stay on it to not rock the boat. I have increased the dosage in the past, up to recommended (200-400mg range) but had intolerable side effects (clumsiness, word finding/cognition problems, vision and kidney test issues) at the higher doses.

For those of you here interested in role of Glutamate, and GABA, in various health conditions,  I found this article to be interesting: https://www.verywellhealth.com/gaba-glutamate-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-716010

Edited by Blahblah

Seroquel IR to calm my head, lithium to keep me on an even keel (more or less). 

• Like 1

Klonopin. Definitely Klonopin. I can’t imagine going without it ever again. I started off on 3 mg per day a few years ago and am now on 2 mg per day. There was a point where I had to get a new doctor and they didn’t like benzos... so they drastically lowered my dose to try to wean me off completely. Needless to say I became very ill. I found a new doctor who understands that Klonopin as a daily pill is what works for me.

5 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I have also been told that  Lamictal calms down Glutamate/ excitability response in the brain. Titration can be difficult for some. I noticed benefit when I first hit 75mg. Now, years later, TBH I'm not sure what it is doing, but I'm on low dose (100mg) so i stay on it to not rock the boat. I have increased the dosage in the past, up to recommended (200-400mg range) but had intolerable side effects (clumsiness, word finding/cognition problems, vision and kidney test issues) at the higher doses.

For those of you here interested in role of Glutamate, and GABA, in various health conditions,  I found this article to be interesting: https://www.verywellhealth.com/gaba-glutamate-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-716010

Thank you Blah for your detailed response.  I had the weird vision things going on while I was on Lamictal for 2 months along with cognition and word finding issues.  Sometimes words just were not there.  However, I was combining it with Pamelor and that competes and could be why I had a hard time getting onboard.  Have not heard back from my seizure doctor yet on this. 

Definitely Seroquel, at the end of every horrible day, at least I know I'll have a few moments of peace and then some sleep.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gatorgirl said:

Klonopin. Definitely Klonopin. I can’t imagine going without it ever again. I started off on 3 mg per day a few years ago and am now on 2 mg per day. There was a point where I had to get a new doctor and they didn’t like benzos... so they drastically lowered my dose to try to wean me off completely. Needless to say I became very ill. I found a new doctor who understands that Klonopin as a daily pill is what works for me.

I agree with you.  Going off Klonopin after being on a benzo for any length of time can have disastrous withdrawals.  I have been on Klonopin since 1993 and have tried very unsuccessfully to go off of it.  My HMO flat out refused to write a prescription for this, so had to go to my psych doc outside the plan to stay on it.  I told my HMO that I would have to go to detox for a long period of time and they flat out refused or to even prescribe something akin to Klonopin to start substituting.  My HMO told me to just stop taking it immediately. Since it's a controlled substance, I am limited to a 30 day supply once a month.  I used to get all 90 days at one time, but not anymore, so my psych doc increased the number of pills per day to help me with stockpiling due to limitations with the manufacturers that stop making this end of year. 

• Sad 1

Sadly Klonopin and dexedrine.  I say that because I don't like to be dependent on addictive meds.  But I am.  Just got a letter from the insurance that next year they will no longer cover dexedrine.  

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Just got a letter from the insurance that next year they will no longer cover dexedrine.  

that sucks! What will you switch to? I hate how insurance companies can do this - and they do it often it seems.

The letter lists: adderall, Ritalin and straterra.  I've only tried Ritalin, and it kinda made me angry. 

1 hour ago, gb84 said:

Sadly Klonopin and dexedrine.  I say that because I don't like to be dependent on addictive meds.  But I am.  Just got a letter from the insurance that next year they will no longer cover dexedrine.  

Will they do a prior authorization?  Sometimes that works to keep coverage of the drug