CrazyBoards.org

AZGECKO

Lamotrigine Medication Changing Manufacturers Again!Can't find it for Insurance to cover

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place:

I came across this site while searching for a new manufacturer for this drug Lamotrigine. The local pharmacies are quick to tell their customers, "We no longer have a contract/buy from, that manufacturer", but don't give out what manufacturer makes the drug and where to purchase it. All I get is, "I don't know. That's not something we are associated with," but can't give me squat for information.

This drug intended purpose is for seizures. Now for Bipolar. I wasn't diagnosed with Bipolar, but I do have some of the tendencies behavior, (not enough to make Bipolar diagnosis), which I was tested and my new diagnosis is PTSD. If your not familiar with most recent studies, it can be a cause related to anything traumatic in our pasts. Yes, this is me.

I have military retired insurance coverage and I'm trying to find who makes this drug to see who sells it and to try and have my insurance cover it. Damn, this is hard for a patient to do. I thought pharmacies or doctors do this.But what do I know? I'm just a nurse who cares for retired/disabled Vets.

Suggestions/recommendations?

I take GlaxoSmithKline (Lamictal brand). Lamotrigine is the generic with multiple manufacturers as far as i know. Your insurance dropped one and now can't tell you which they will cover? There must be an alternative?

22 hours ago, AZGECKO said:

Are you looking for a generic Lamactil with a  particular manufacturer, and the pharmacy is telling you they don't carry it?

Not quite clear on what you're asking, because there are lots of generic versions of Lamactil.

This page gives a list of generic versions of Lamactil, (and their manufacturers) that have been approved by the FDA:    https://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-lamictal.html

Edited by CrazyRedhead

23 hours ago, AZGECKO said:

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place:

I came across this site while searching for a new manufacturer for this drug Lamotrigine. The local pharmacies are quick to tell their customers, "We no longer have a contract/buy from, that manufacturer", but don't give out what manufacturer makes the drug and where to purchase it. All I get is, "I don't know. That's not something we are associated with," but can't give me squat for information.

This drug intended purpose is for seizures. Now for Bipolar. I wasn't diagnosed with Bipolar, but I do have some of the tendencies behavior, (not enough to make Bipolar diagnosis), which I was tested and my new diagnosis is PTSD. If your not familiar with most recent studies, it can be a cause related to anything traumatic in our pasts. Yes, this is me.

I have military retired insurance coverage and I'm trying to find who makes this drug to see who sells it and to try and have my insurance cover it. Damn, this is hard for a patient to do. I thought pharmacies or doctors do this.But what do I know? I'm just a nurse who cares for retired/disabled Vets.

Go to: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/ and type in your medication.  It will give a list of all manufacturers along with prescribing information.  From there you can find who is selling this drug and call the manufacturer directly.  I do this all the time, as I do the Clonazepam dance like you.  Good luck !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Go to: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/ and type in your medication.  It will give a list of all manufacturers along with prescribing information.  From there you can find who is selling this drug and call the manufacturer directly.  I do this all the time, as I do the Clonazepam dance like you.  Good luck !!

TY!

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

If the drug comes from over-seas, like India, do they still follow USA FDA regulations?

Just now, AZGECKO said:

If the drug comes from over-seas, like India, do they still follow USA FDA regulations?

Yes.

TY:)

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Are you looking for a generic Lamactil with a  particular manufacturer, and the pharmacy is telling you they don't carry it?

Not quite clear on what you're asking, because there are lots of generic versions of Lamactil.

This page gives a list of generic versions of Lamactil, (and their manufacturers) that have been approved by the FDA:    https://www.drugs.com/availability/generic-lamictal.html

Looking for the medication by specific manufacture (Zydus or Alembic), and where in my area it is dispensed.

1 hour ago, AZGECKO said:

TY:)

Looking for the medication by specific manufacture (Zydus or Alembic), and where in my area it is dispensed.

Your current pharmacy should be able to order it for you if they don't normally carry it.....

The next best thing is to call around to different pharmacies in your area, and ask if they have it.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Be very careful switching manufacturers on Lamotrigine.  I was on Lamotrigine for 2 years not a problem.  I walked into the pharmacy to pick up my prescription and they had changed generic brands ... I ended up with the Lamictal rash and cannot take it anymore.  Very bizarre.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By restoringhealth
      About three months ago, I was prescribed Lamotrigine for General Anxiety Disorder. I have had no other issues aside from my anxiety.

As would be expected, my dosage was gradually increased. However, after about four weeks something just didn't seem right. I ended up stopping at 75mgs per day. I continued that dosage for about a month. Sometimes, I'd wonder if my vision wasn't quite right.

About four weeks ago, I was out on a walk with my son and realized that I could barely see more than twenty feet ahead of myself. Something just was not right about my vision. If I tried focusing on something, it would almost feel like I could go cross eyed.

I did some reading on other people's experienced with this medication, and was alarmed to find a lot of information on vision issues. I decided to taper off the Lamotrigine. There were a number of medical sources saying to reduce by 50% per week. I figured going with 25% per week would be safe. I also met with a doctor, who confirmed that 25% per week was super safe.

About four or five days after decreasing my dosage, my eyes began to feel immense pain. Especially my right eye. It felt like the most intense sinus pressure, or a migraine, or some incredibly severe tension. The issue with not being able to focus became much worse. I saw an eye doctor, and also had an eye exam done. I was told both times that my vision was completely fine. They did mention that I had really dry eyes, and I'm currently using a heat compress that they had recommended for treating this.

However, the eye pain has been constant. I have barely been able to interact with my family, work, or even read. At times I can hardly look at the page of a book, it is so incredibly difficult to focus on. Yesterday, I was in such terrible pain that I could barely handle being awake.

Now, I have a constant ringing in my ear. My ears also feel very clogged, almost like sinus issues. I'm honestly not sure how much more of this I can handle.

Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? I could sure use some peace of mind. I am pretty concerned that I have permanent hearing issues, let alone that my eyes will never feel normal again. Any insight would be much appreciated.
    • By iamatree
      Hi, im not a forum person and also from Sweden so if theres already a thread about this or info somewhere point me in the right direction

anyway, i was diagnosed with cyclothymia alittle more than 2 years ago and been on lamictal since. 
      worked wonders since im able to have friends now and on the verge of joining the workforce again 

anyway, seems lamictal doesnt work for me anymore :/ been having bad headaches and feeling shitty overall for over a month, stopped taking them for 5 days and headache/feeling shitty went away, started taking it again today (at lower dose) and got headache and feeling shitty again... and ive never had issues with headaches at all in my life before and im actually having a pretty healthy lifestyle these days so i see no other connection than it being the lamictals fault
      so it seems i have to switch meds. im seeing my psychiatrist again in two weeks and of course i will make decision in discussion with him but I wanna go there prepared so...

anyone have suggestions/experience what med(s) to take instead of lamictal? ive been googling alot and reading on crazymeds so im somewhat aware what meds are out there but its hard for me to tell which ones would be similar to lamictal
      tried virtually all SSRI's, SNRI's and Bupripone (together with lamictal) and they all make me crazy and/or feel awful, also been on aripiprazole and wasnt pleasant either.

sorry if rambling/broken english.

/Nils

• By GretelFrame
      I’ve read that angioedema can be a very rare side effect of Lamotrigine. I figured this was a bigger pool of people and there might be at least one other with this issue. That’s my biggest goal here  
      I’d rather not get off it if I don’t have to. My doctor isn’t sure it was related, but now thinks it’s okay to try taking me off to see if my swelling goes away. I have a history of living with a low level of constant panic that triggers to severe panic easily (I’m now agoraphobic). But the angioedema can make my airways swell at ransom, so it may be worth the risk. 
      My experience: I was on Lamotrigine for 5 months when I went from 100 to 150mg. I had a strange cough that ended up lasting all of June (felt like asthmatic bronchitis, but my lungs were clear), a week after the upped dose I had a few nights where I looked and felt just like my arms and chest had a bad sunburn. My doc put me back down to 100mg. 
      By July 1st, I had idiopathic angioedema. My lips, tongue, throat would swell with anything I ate or with brushing my teeth. Any pressure. I went two months eating a few bites or nothing but pedialyte. I had to get off lithium cold turkey because of how sick it made me to take on an empty stomach. It’s better controlled now, but the anti-inflammatory (dapsone) I was taking caused anemia and I had to get off it. The next step is a monthly shot that is extremely expensive (I’m unemployed and uninsured). If there’s a chance getting off Lamotrigine will help, I’ll try it. 
    • By akhristov
      Hello everybody,
      I started on Lamictal a few weeks back.  My doctor had me up the dose by 25mg every 10 days.  The first 10 days were okay aside from an intermittent sore throat and a few random aches and pains.  When I went up to 50mg though, things got a bit weird.  The first day, I woke up with a few tense muscles.  And then a few days later, I had some noticeable swelling on my tongue.  I ended up stopping the medication.
      My questions are, do you think this is the result of me going up too quickly?  Has anybody else experienced this and was then able to successfully titrate at a slower pace?  Should I be willing to give Lamictal another shot?
    • By aurasnow
      Since upping my lamictal dose (only to 75) I gradually noticed increading strange muscular pains and cramps, akin to what I imagine arthritis to be like. I obviously have noticed that lamictal side effects tend to dissipate after a while after a dosage change, and of course had much more intense pains, headaches and other such things around the increase time howhever these particular ones appeared after the initial S/E subsided and have progressively worsened. These are focused on my legs, primarily my calf and knee joints, and have affected my gait. Alongside this I've notices strange muscular twitches and sharp pains, primarily in the leg areas but occasionally other muscle areas.
      I have noticed there is some info and muscle pain does seem to be a known side effect of lamictal, but was wondering if anyone has experience in treating this? Am wondering whether to reduce dose, which is a difficult choice as 75 is the highest dose I've been able to tolerate and is still pretty subtherapeutic.
      I should probably note on the list of odd side effects that I also have a crazy range of odd head, neck and jaw pains, alongside ocular aura w/out migraine (like a dull pain behind the eye accompanied with a feeling of a round orb or spot sorta behind vision), although these are harder to pin on the lamictal... Fun times...