CrazyBoards.org

There was a topic about this a while back. I figued I might as well look these up while I was messing with other Amazon stuff. This stuff is kinda pricey, but there really is no alternative if you're on stimulants or ACs that give you drymouth and want to keep your teeth. I can post a pic of my teeth if you don't believe me.

Also, it's really good for healing oral piercings. ;)

..but damn it's pricey. It was almost $9 for what I usually pay around $3 for. Although, it says to just swish with a tablespoon - so you use less. Like the concentrated laundry detergent for your mouth. So maybe it's near price. I sometimes water mine down to make it swish easier, too. A shotglass helps with that. It's pretty good stuff and doesn't taste super bad.

What did it do to your teeth?

Velvet Elvis.... these are both great products. Biotene also makes a couple of other products you might want to link here-- chewing gum and an oral gel. I've used the gel and it really works-- especially at night.

I know people hate wally world, but I found this stuff there too - for about the same price, and it'll save on shipping.

Yes you can get that stuff anywhere - well like Target/Rite-Aid. Works for my mom who has a VERY dry mouth do to a major lung issue.

This stuff is amazing!!!! My dentist recommended it to me!!! Goodbye dry mouth in the morning, night, and day!!!

I actually broke out with lie bumps on my tongue very frequently while using biotene. It doesn't make sense but it happened. Just a little note in case anyone using biotene starts developing them.

Edited by Penguin

I like Biotene OK despite the cost. It's a pretty good product, but I find it interesting that the back label on mine says it's distributed by GlaxoSmithKline. Any guess what else they do to make money? Hint in case anyone has been living under a rock for too long: It involves meds that may cause dry mouth and dental problems!

I loved Novamin toothpaste even though it was pricey. The closest thing now are some Burt's Bees products as they bought out Novamin it seems. The Burt's isn't as nice feeling, though. I'm sad my local stores don't seem to be carrying the paste anymore, though they have just about everything else from Burt's. When I run out I guess I will have to order online ... just like with Novamin. Maybe if I special request it they'd get it back in stores. It must not have sold very well if they got rid of it, though.

I'm glad research is going into tooth replacement and regrowth since I have some jaw misalignment and other issues that are screwing things up despite my best efforts ... and I can't afford or get the nerve to go for the expensive, dangerous, and painful surgery. Google LIPUS tooth regrowth. I wish every dentist offered it.

You know, I had jaw malalignment issues as well. On one side of my jaw, the ball has worn down so that my bottom teeth don't sit properly. I went about two years with not being able to chew on the left side of my teeth because the wouldn't close all the way.

I went to several orthodontists who said there was nothing they could do for me, until my daughter's orthodontist took a look at my case and said that getting braces on would probably fix the issue for a long time, if not permanently. I got braces put on about three years ago, and my bit almost immediately improved. Within six months I could bite down properly and in the correct position on both sides of my jaw. Plus it cured an open bite I had so big that I could close my teeth and still stick my tongue out through them.

I've had my braces off for several months now, and I see no shifting of my jaw taking place. So maybe that's an idea for you to persue?

As for biotene, I've tried the mouth spray a few times. I didn't like it any more than simply drinking something. And drinking something costs less. But that's just me. My hubby chews gum so his mouth doesn't dry out, but I personally hate chewing gum. Makes me feel like a cow chewing it's cud (I grew up on a cattle farm.)

I'm glad you had such great success with braces and thanks for telling your story. It gives me a bit of hope. I'd feel so lucky to find such a great orthodontist. Your case sounds similar to mine. My teeth almost touch in the front and do pretty well on the right. On the left it's wide open ... most of those teeth just don't like each other at all. I can kind of chew, but not well on that side. It's more like breaking stuff into a bit smaller chunks than really chewing properly. I try to do that now and then to give the chewing side a break. It's so open on the left side it has kind of an eye shape. I'm sure there is TMJ or serious joint problem going on because I hear a popping sound if I open my mouth wide and it's been there a long time. I feel my jaw shift, too. It is a pretty strange case so I'll keep my hopes realistic.

Mine was largely ignored and written off as no big deal by my parents and most dentists when I was a teen and could probably gotten insurance to pay for it. I knew something was wrong because it hadn't always been that way. I fell as a kid and my front teeth went through almost all the way under my bottom lip. Another kid had left a backpack out on the floor that I didn't see and I tripped. I sometimes wonder if that had anything to do with it, but other things can cause it besides injury or illness or sleeping too much on one side. It may have just been genetic luck of the draw. One of my brothers seems to have a similar bite but it's so slight that it doesn't bother him a bit. As an adult I heard insurance will always try to deny paying for surgery and call it "cosmetic" no matter what kind of note your dentist/doctor writes. Sure, for a select group of people it is purely cosmetic, but most NEED it. Some are just lucky it makes them look better, too.

I don't mind chewing gum, but I rarely do because we tend to buy altoids more. Also, I am afraid gum will make jaw problems worse even if it helps keep my teeth clean. I used to chew it all the time and imagine myself like a cow or giraffe chewing, haha. My grandparents on both sides raised beef cattle and I liked the zoo ... even (accidentally honest) got my brother and I locked in a zoo as an adult, hehe. Good times!

Edited by anhelldonia

I've got a sample of Oasis mouthwash. Just got it from the dentist the other day. I haven't tried it yet but it's supposed to be comparable to Biotene. Maybe someone else has tried it and can comment.

I love Biotene. I use the toothpaste and the mouthwash.

It's certainly my favorite, by far.

They also make a gum.

I thought the spray was nasty but some folks like it. 

Have you thought about asking your dentist for samples?  I get samples every time I get my teeth cleaned.  That's how I found out I didn't like the spray.  I think I'd have been angry if I'd paid that much for the stuff and didn't like it.

I think I used the mouthwash? Not sure if it still exists because that was quite some time ago from a sample from the dentist. But I didn't mind the flavor of it at all. I no longer use it though. That side effect has seemed to dissipate. Thank goodness!