CrazyBoards.org
tek

Anyone take Adderall & Effexor?

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Is your pdoc aware of how difficult things are? Also, you said you were on Effexor for a while- what other antidepressants have you tried? Maybe if you tell your pdoc about your concerns with Effexor they can help you find other options for depression/anxiety

Iceberg, thanks for your comment and suggestion.

You have a good point. My psychiatrist mentioned that Effexor ER is an older medication and it raises the Blood pressure for most people but I have been taking Effexor for over 10 years now for depression and anxiety and has worked for me with minimal side effects.  I'm aware of the horror stories of people trying to go off Effexor. I have stayed on 75mg - 150mg Effexor daily for years. So we decided not to change Effexor for now and add other medications to treat my ADD and Bipolar II.  However, I have read in other forums that taking an antidepressant only it can cause manic/hypomanic episodes for some people and it has happen to me.  Based on my past history since being on Effexor ER, I have had depressive and hypomanic episodes hence my recent diagnosis with Bipolar II.  That was a bit of a surprise to me while being diagnosed with Adult ADD is not.  As you know depression and anxiety are very common symptoms of both ADHD/ADD and Bipolar. 

Increasing the Effexor dosage from 150mg to 225mg might have contributed to my increased anxiety and depression I feel.  Maybe Effexor is no longer effective for me and the increase in dosage made my anxiety/depression worst. All I can say is that I feel deeper depression than ever previously and that is really effecting my daily life.  Anxiety is more controllable for me than depression. 

I have also taken Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft in the early 90's when those antidepressant meds were very popular.  Also Xanax and Ativan for anxiety only.  I will discuss with my doctor to possibly switch me slowly to another antidepressant to help with anxiety/depression, like you suggested.   

Thank you

Ever tried cymbalta? Similar to Effexor and also can help anxiety depression. Also for your bp 2 could you maybe need more mood stabilization beyond 100 lamictal? 

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

Ever tried cymbalta? Similar to Effexor and also can help anxiety depression. Also for your bp 2 could you maybe need more mood stabilization beyond 100 lamictal? 

Have never tried any other SNRI besides Effexor XR, which I have taken for about 15 years (mostly on it but I have taken breaks here and there).  My usual daily dosage has been 150mg.  Currently I'm up to 225mg in the AM daily.

I currently do not take Lamictal.  I stopped taking it after reaching the 100mg dosage because I was emotional while on it and did not do anything for my depression.  I understand it was prescribed for BP 2 and the therapeutic dose is around 200mg.  But my depression and anxiety were getting worse for some reason so my doctor and I decided to stop it.  I really could not deal with being so emotional while on it and maybe at 200mg it would have made a difference for the better.  There's always a chance to start taking Lamictal again down the road. 

On 7/27/2018 at 8:08 PM, goyal99 said:

Have never tried any other SNRI besides Effexor XR, which I have taken for about 15 years (mostly on it but I have taken breaks here and there).  My usual daily dosage has been 150mg.  Currently I'm up to 225mg in the AM daily.

I currently do not take Lamictal.  I stopped taking it after reaching the 100mg dosage because I was emotional while on it and did not do anything for my depression.  I understand it was prescribed for BP 2 and the therapeutic dose is around 200mg.  But my depression and anxiety were getting worse for some reason so my doctor and I decided to stop it.  I really could not deal with being so emotional while on it and maybe at 200mg it would have made a difference for the better.  There's always a chance to start taking Lamictal again down the road. 

I mentioned further up in the thread that I was originally taking Pristiq in about 2013, but my insurance changed because I lost my job. I had to switch to the generic Effexor XR, because of course Pristiq was still brand only at that point and still pretty new. I found I preferred Pristiq. Effexor XR did poop out on me after a few months, but I also wasn't taking a mood stabilizer at the time. So antidepressant poop-out isn't QUITE antidepressant poop-out. It just means you've ridden the wave and now it's crashing. That's how the bipolar brain works, although some are "lucky" enough for the hypomania's to persist for quite some time after starting an AD without a mood stabilizer. What I didn't like about Effexor XR was missing doses are not taking it at the same time each day and I would feel miserable.

We ultimately switched to Cymbalta (my gdoc and I). That was a huge difference. I don't recall what it felt like to miss a dose of Cymbalta because I would actually take it at night and I would wake up in the morning fresh and awake. It was nice actually.

I came back to Lamictal myself recently. I had taken it immediately after Cymbalta. Started seeing a new pdoc after my gdoc prescribed me the Cymbalta, and the new pdoc (current) started titrating me off Cymbalta and over to Lamictal. We used Prozac to make coming off Cymbalta easier. That was ROUGH.

However, I can say that even though I did take a brief respite from Lamictal it is quite effective at delaying episodes. Things seem to roll off the shoulder easier. Things that would normally get me worked up might make me angry or slightly depressed, or slightly excited but I'm able to level myself on my own. I can dig myself out of a whole where I couldn't before. I recently came off an antidepressant again (Trintellix) and titrated across to Lamictal. I find my Depakote+Lamictal+Rexulti+Vyvanse combo to be perfect for BP2/ADHD. Trintellix is my absolute favorite AD of all the ones I've taken, but I hadn't been depressed for a while and I was feeling mental tension from being on an AD in the summer combined with the Vyvanse. So we decided to take a break from it but put Lamictal in its place as a preventative antidepressant measure because that's what it's good for.