Software Update Finished, feedback welcome Read more... ×
CrazyBoards.org

Diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, ADD, depression.

I'm done with Fetzima after 7 months. Started taking 40 mg in November 2014 after Cymbalta 60mg stopped working.  My mom died and those horrible months threw me for a loop, so increased dosage to 80 mg about 3 months ago. I'm a mess. I'm off work in the summer so I sit around and lament my life, cry at the drop of a hat, internalize any feelings of friends or family,  I'm obsessed about my dad being alone and my heart is broken for him.  Even though I'm miserable at home, I'd rather be here alone than deal with the anxiety of being anywhere else. I have things to do around here, but can't bring myself to get anything done. My friends miss me, as I hole up in my house. I want to laugh again, I want to be my crazy, fun self. My husband works out of town a lot so I'm alone... I could spend time with friends but I'd rather be home... the process of showering and makeup is too much to bear. I had a mini breakdown the other day after reading several sad things on the news; I question my faith (I've lost all faith), I question whether I'll ever be ok again. I've taken drug after drug since I was 18 (25 years ago) and I don't know where to go from here. I have an appt  in a couple of hours and I was just checking in to see if my experiences on Fetzima were similar to others'... I see I'm not suffering alone. I have had "suicidal thoughts" but would never go through it because I love my family too much.  But I have thought about it and how I would do it. My husband almost called an ambulance for me recently because I was spouting off crap about hurting myself, things I regret saying now. He even hid our gun... to think I'm "THAT" person just compounds my hopelessness and depression. I hope my PCP has another solution for me... I really feel like the old me is gone, dead. What's left is a shell of a person that looks good on the outside (when I can bring myself to shower and fix myself up) but I'm dead on the inside... numb except for obsessions and sorrow and tears. On the outside I've got it all together - college educated with a great job and great husband, no financial issues; I have everything anyone could ever want or need, except for a normal brain. I hope I can check back in in a few weeks with a more positive update. I just don't know what happens from here.

Hi this is my first post after lurking for info for awhile.  

This med gave me massive over the top headaches (words can not describe the pain).  I am a migraine sufferer, and after a major car accident three years ago I have Traumatic Brain Injury (and PTSD, etc).   I have had a problem with anxiety and depression.  I was switched from Vibrydd to Fetzima (to take at night so my brain can switch off to rest) recently also the week before my neuro had switched my cymbalta to Brillitex I take this in the morning (Brillitex which is in another thread).   After taking the meds I noticed there was an extreme contradiction but I was on fairly low dosages, and my body metabolizes all types of drugs quickly so I just sent my neuro an email and took the meds this week.   Oh my goodness---I had the worse headache/migraine/expolosion in my brain in the middle of the night two days ago.  Yesterday all day I would just randomly be debilitatated my what felt like icepicks going through my brain.  Last night another bad headache and now my head is so sore I can not even touch it.  I am on a business trip wth my husband,and have no idea what to do.   I normally have 3 or more horrible migraines a week (I get botox, go through ketamine treatments, etc for them, and still need to go to the neuro at least once a week for urgent care).  These headaches are far worse then my worse migraine.

Just as an FYI--I also do have the snappy edginess, night sweats, etc.

The headaches are not responding to medication-I took Bupap with Nalfron (which is what my neuro recommends for minor headaches), and I had a percocet from a tooth extraction and it does not work (I am pretty resistant to pain meds so I take them very rarely).  

Anyone have similiar problems and how do I fix it!!!!  I have a conference in DC in two days and need to be better (also we are traveling with 2 of my three children).  Not a good time to have a brain breakdown...any ideas would be helpful!

Brian 716-  Before my accident and I had "an excuse" for the problems I have I rarely talked about my internal struggles.  Like you I did not want a black mark on my imagined ledger.  I had a family doctor during college and later when I came back as an Assistant Dean at the Law School at the same University (I was the first in my family to go through college and even excelled in law school).   This Doc finally diagnosed me with Bipolar because I would ebb from getting things done and working all night being super social to right after the semester sleeping for a couple of weeks not talking with anyone.  I had a couple panic attacks that felt like heart attacks.  Also I had these terrible migraines.  Of course there is more to this story--family history my dad was both the nicest and most loveable guy and then would be just depressed and would yell and then he would change and make it up with icecream.  He also walled himself off from most of his friends even though he was so social at work.  My guess they put you on this to increase serotonin the "feel good" chemical the brain releases.  The doc must see something you might not even see.  When I first was introduced to this new world my doc gave me Lexapro and Serequel to sleep (he later told me it was a bipolar med) but this combo made me feel like a completely new person.  I thought to myself wow that is what a regular person feels like.  I sleep well instead of lying in bed and I was able to be social and build real connection to people and I actually enjoyed going to lunch with people instead of feeling it was a chore.   I would ask your doc about some of these things because this new drug Fetzima seems to be great for some people but it also can make you quite edgy and more agitated in social situations (which seems to be opposite of what you need),and it is new and like the new "big guns" docs are using.  Remember big pharma gives out these samples so docs will try them, but maybe something a little more mellow with a longer track record would help you better.    Just my two cents!   Thanks for opening up as you see I just posted my first post above as I am not much on putting it all out there normally either so I just wanted to reach out to you as a kindred spirit!

Migrainemome: Botox can cause multiple side effects one of them being severe headaches. I realize that you are getting the injections for headaches but they can actually cause severe ones that no med helps with along with too long of a list to type here.  Botox is the most potent neurotoxin on the planet and spreads away from the injection site causing damage and symptoms that seem unrelated. You can get more info and ask questions at www dot botoxsupportcommunity dot com

Hey there! Ok so went to my dr yesterday, asking for something to help me. So tired all the time and take naps have no energy blah blah blah. I've been on Prozac for years, and just felt I was existing.  So she suggested this Fetzima, I was like ok I'm in.  Took first dose yesterday.  Felt ok, nothing major, woke this morning wide awake an hour before my alarm! (This never happens)   So I'm on day 2.  Is anyone else out there taking this?  Just wondering how it's working for them :D

Hi, I am day 6 or 7. It's working far better than anything I have ever tried - been trying to find a med that my body can tolerate for years. Major downside is that I have a really, really hard time winding down enough to go to bed - much less fall asleep. Always feel that there is something pressing to do - feel like I am making up for lost time when I was not on it and in bed all the time. So, the on and off switch in my brain/mind is still there. I have one day "on" and the next day trying to get some sleep. Feel that others are perceiving me as unreliable. 

On the upside, of which there are many. I can now relate better to people. Getting bills paid. Clutter of papers is almost gone. I used to call it pile management before my diagnosis. Still don't understand why ADHD'ers with depression. In my case, let papers pile up. Getting things done. Keep,pushing myself - not hard to do - a object in motion, stays in motion. In this case substitute "subject".

Still have problems spending money that I do not have.,

but Fetzima, has gotten me out of bed and out of the hiuse. I think I may have made a new business friend. I say good morning to neighbors - up until recently was afraid to leave the house. Accomplishing things that I do not like doing because I am afraid of not doing them perfectly. Fetzima helps with losing weight gain from Brintellix. Brintellix made me confused, vomiting - impaired my driving. But, I digress we are talking about Fetzima.

super-edgy. Calming down a bit. Now am alternately, calm, edgy and motivated. Uber motivated. Creativity and problem solving are at a peak. But, I pay the price - not enough sleep. Starting therapy as well as seeing psych doc - in a couple weeks.

even though better, I am still isolated and alone. This ADHD plus depress plus GAD diagnosis was hard to accept. After all I got great grades in school, finished my masters in biz - but was fired from every single job I ever had. So, figured out a way to work for myself. 

I am hanging in there with the Fetzima but the one day on and one day off - has to be fixed. If I drop out of Ike every other day it confuses people. As if I do not confuse them enough already. 

Wishing you everything that I wish for myself,

Blessings

PS I now have a really clean house and organized garden thanks to what I have heard it called The red bull of antidepressants. Will not share this label with shrink as he has NO sense of humor. 

Hi again, it's been a while but I thought I would add an update concerning my experience with Fetzima.  I discontinued it after about four months.  It actually did help with my depression, but I couldn't get used to the accelerated heart rate.  My pulse rate was staying at 98 and 99, and it's weird getting up in the morning feeling like you just competed a three mile sprint.  I hated it and never was able to adjust to it.  I noticed in my earlier posts  I thought it had dropped my b/p, but that was shortlived.  It later elevated it, to the point my dr. wanted to put me on Cozaar to lower it.  I didn't want to begin another medication to control the side effects.   It wasn't worth it to me, so I stopped it.

I have Dysthymia, which is a chronic, low level depression.  You may have two major depressive episodes to meet the criteria, which I have had those two and more.  I will need an AD for..... always.

Weaning off the Zoloft and beginning Fetzima was difficult, as the small amount of serotonin in the Fet. didn't cover the amount  in the Zoloft, and horrible zaps developed.  I actually took them both together for a while, with decreasing amounts of Zoloft, but it took weeks and weeks to stop the zaps, and complete the weaning gig.

The sugar craving returned after a few days.  My pulse rate and B/P went back to normal within a couple of days time.

So, I'm taking Zoloft again.  I'm very sensitive to these type medications, so I am taking a very small dose, every other day.  So far my stomach is holding up and hair is not falling out.  Some days I need a little "bite' of xanax to temper the anxiety.

You guys are so awesome.  I've sometimes wished everybody on the face of the Earth would have to experience a full blown major depression, if only for about 15 minutes.  Then they would know.

You guys take care and never stop trying.

Love and love,

Zazz

• Like 1

I was taking pristiq 100 mg for years. Now the doc put me down to 50 mg then took me off and started me on fetzima. Today is day 2 of no pristiq and I feel so dizzy and headache. How do I k owner if I'm having withdrawel from pristiq or reaction to fetzima?

I was taking pristiq 100 mg for years. Now the doc put me down to 50 mg then took me off and started me on fetzima. Today is day 2 of no pristiq and I feel so dizzy and headache. How do I k owner if I'm having withdrawel from pristiq or reaction to fetzima?

I don't think it's possible to know. This is one reason why my pdoc only wants to do one med change at a time. It can be frustrating when I'm desperate for relief, but I understand intellectually why it's necessary.

Momof I have a box of Pristiq still in my drawer.  Doc wanted me to try it instead of the Fet.  It is still sitting there, I'm afraid to take it.  I hear the weaning is a bear.  Of course none of them are any picnic.  Paxil gave me the worst withdrawal I've ever had.  I thought my brain was completely fried.  Anyway, I'm wondering if I try the Pristiq,if I will begin the accelerated heart rate and all that junk again,.  I need to get off Zoloft.  Eight years is long enough, and I hate all the thinning hair and upset stomach.  didn't have any of that with Fet.  I hope the Fetzima works well for you, and energizes you.  People say it does. It actually did give me headaches.  Being a mom of four I know you can always use abundant energy!  ~~ My best.

Oh, thought I'd just toss this out there.  I think the Fetzima needs to go back to lab for some fine tuning.  It bounced me all over the place.  I'd roll along fine, then, Bam!  Mood would drop sharply for maybe an hour or so,then it would bounce back.  I think it's pretty unstable at this point.  Plus, I would have zaps while I was actually actively taking it.   Odd...........

Edited by Zazz
typo

I'm new to posting on boards so please bare with me. I'm currently in and tryinget to wean myself on Fetzima. Once I do, I'll never take another one again. It all started about 6 or 8 months ago when I spoke with my pcp about how I felt that my ADD medicaton was not working and since I had been on the same dose for some time, if it would be an option to increase it slightly (I was dignored as a child). I was told that the pcp felt that I was depressed and since I had been on Celexa in the past, I agreed to try going back on something to see if it helped. I went on Zoloft. Well it started out great, and then the sweating started, and not just a little but a lot. I was freezing out fellow coworkers because I was sweating so badly. Waking up in the night and having to change clothes because I had soaked thru my jammies. I del with this for 3 months before the sweating became unbareable. I was all day, everyday. Which was making me increasingly angry. (How do I do my job working closely with people when I'm sweating like a pig?!) So I did research and found that as a side effect. Spoke to pcp and got changed to Celexa (been on in the past, worked great, don't remember sweating) took it for 5 days and stopped, sweating had returned with a vengeance.  Talked to pcp again and started Fetzima 20. I just don't feel right. Don't feel sad. Don't feel happy. I just feel like I'm exhisting. So far, the headache and diarrhea are terrible.  The headache has caused me to miss work because I was so sick. I tried going to every other day. But it's not helping. Right now, my entire head feels like it might explode, (That might be a relief) despite headache meds. How much lon get will this last!? I took Fetzima for approximately 2.5 weeks. I've noticed the headaches only happen at night, around the time I'd take the medication. Any advice is appreciated, especially if it helpsy head stop hurting. All I DO know, is I'm adding SSRI's to me allergy list (I refuse to sweat like that unless I'm exercising) and Fetzima as well. 

I'm new to posting on boards so please bare with me. I'm currently in and tryinget to wean myself on Fetzima. Once I do, I'll never take another one again. It all started about 6 or 8 months ago when I spoke with my pcp about how I felt that my ADD medicaton was not working and since I had been on the same dose for some time, if it would be an option to increase it slightly (I was dignored as a child). I was told that the pcp felt that I was depressed and since I had been on Celexa in the past, I agreed to try going back on something to see if it helped. I went on Zoloft. Well it started out great, and then the sweating started, and not just a little but a lot. I was freezing out fellow coworkers because I was sweating so badly. Waking up in the night and having to change clothes because I had soaked thru my jammies. I del with this for 3 months before the sweating became unbareable. I was all day, everyday. Which was making me increasingly angry. (How do I do my job working closely with people when I'm sweating like a pig?!) So I did research and found that as a side effect. Spoke to pcp and got changed to Celexa (been on in the past, worked great, don't remember sweating) took it for 5 days and stopped, sweating had returned with a vengeance.  Talked to pcp again and started Fetzima 20. I just don't feel right. Don't feel sad. Don't feel happy. I just feel like I'm exhisting. So far, the headache and diarrhea are terrible.  The headache has caused me to miss work because I was so sick. I tried going to every other day. But it's not helping. Right now, my entire head feels like it might explode, (That might be a relief) despite headache meds. How much lon get will this last!? I took Fetzima for approximately 2.5 weeks. I've noticed the headaches only happen at night, around the time I'd take the medication. Any advice is appreciated, especially if it helpsy head stop hurting. All I DO know, is I'm adding SSRI's to me allergy list (I refuse to sweat like that unless I'm exercising) and Fetzima as well. 

Hi, I've definitely been where you're at. I'm taking fetzima now. I'm still determining if it's the right medicine for me, but what u may have been going thru from being taken off the the zoloft and the celexa so quickly may be withdrawl. Diarrhea and headaches are a sure sign of withdrawl. And then taking yourself off the fetzima too withdrawl can do crazy things to your body. And sometimes until you replace the serotonin back in your body with another medicine this withdrawal can last. You should see ur pdoc as soon as possible and explain that all of this is going on hopefully they can help you feel better. I hope u feel better soon. Take care.

Fetzima (levomilnacipran ER) is among several treatment options my pdoc and I are currently considering (the others being Brintellix,Ketamine, and TMS). It's brand spanking new. The pharmacological stuff is mostly over my head, but i'm posting on the off chance that somebody has tried it, is about to try it, or knows something about it from an experiential perspective or have discussed it at length with your pdocs.  My pdoc didn't elaborate much on it specifically. i know there's a similar thread going on Brintellix from somebody else.

I just started taking Fetzima yesterday, so only on the start-up dose of 20mg.  Right off the bat I got to feeling like I was sick and had to go lay down.  I didn't know it at the time that this drug can cause nausea, vomiting, etc. but I guess it seems to be the most common side effect.  I haven't taken my 2nd day's dose yet, but I am getting ready to, and then I will probably have to go lay down when it kicks in.  I wasn't told much about it by my doc, only that it is an SNRI, and that it may help with my pain from fibromyalgia, as an off-label use.  Does anyone know if the nausea eventually (and by that, I mean soon) subsides?  My main issues are depression, and chronic pain, which adds to the depression and weight gain.  I am being weaned off of the wellbutrin, which I have always done well on, but have been on for many years.  I am just having some agitation issues, insomnia, and I started having episodes of depression anyway.  I didn't want to increase the current dosage, because one of the things that it causes is HAIR LOSS.  Just wondering if this "new" med is worth the beginning nausea, and if that will subside, and if anyone who has tried it has experienced any decrease in pain.  That is important, as according to the info I have read about this, NSAIDS can cause problems with bleeding if combined with this drug, and with me having fibromyalgia, I pretty much need to be on something for pain, even if it's just Ibuprofen. 

Fetzima causes severe and sudden hair loss, hemorrhagic under the skin, SERIOUUS constipation,

i had had to go to ER because of constipation and hemorrhaging. Was on it for 3.5 weeks. It's hard to get off off.

manufactuerers of this product not fully disclosing all the side effects. Be careful!

Side effects last long after you stop Fetzima. I stopped on July 20. Still dealing with constipation. 

Fetzima (levomilnacipran ER) is among several treatment options my pdoc and I are currently considering (the others being Brintellix,Ketamine, and TMS). It's brand spanking new. The pharmacological stuff is mostly over my head, but i'm posting on the off chance that somebody has tried it, is about to try it, or knows something about it from an experiential perspective or have discussed it at length with your pdocs.  My pdoc didn't elaborate much on it specifically. i know there's a similar thread going on Brintellix from somebody else.

I just started taking Fetzima yesterday, so only on the start-up dose of 20mg.  Right off the bat I got to feeling like I was sick and had to go lay down.  I didn't know it at the time that this drug can cause nausea, vomiting, etc. but I guess it seems to be the most common side effect.  I haven't taken my 2nd day's dose yet, but I am getting ready to, and then I will probably have to go lay down when it kicks in.  I wasn't told much about it by my doc, only that it is an SNRI, and that it may help with my pain from fibromyalgia, as an off-label use.  Does anyone know if the nausea eventually (and by that, I mean soon) subsides?  My main issues are depression, and chronic pain, which adds to the depression and weight gain.  I am being weaned off of the wellbutrin, which I have always done well on, but have been on for many years.  I am just having some agitation issues, insomnia, and I started having episodes of depression anyway.  I didn't want to increase the current dosage, because one of the things that it causes is HAIR LOSS.  Just wondering if this "new" med is worth the beginning nausea, and if that will subside, and if anyone who has tried it has experienced any decrease in pain.  That is important, as according to the info I have read about this, NSAIDS can cause problems with bleeding if combined with this drug, and with me having fibromyalgia, I pretty much need to be on something for pain, even if it's just Ibuprofen. 

Hi, I've been on fetzima for a year now. I didn't have any nausea. Did u try eatting before u take it? I also have fibromyalgia and it has definitely help with the fibro pain. I take 60mg of the fetzima daily with a cocktail of other meds. I was on a higher dose but b/c I'm bipolar it made my moods crazy so I had to go on a lower dose. Im on a blood thinner which means no ibuprofen, aleve. The fetzima just said the same thing. I was use to it. But since I have started taking fetzima I'm have nose bleeds out of no where. Never had them before. Hope my info helped.

I

I have been on Fetzima for about a year and a half, after trying just about everything else out there on and off for the past 15 years or so. I'm your vanilla depressive. Sometimes bad, sometimes really bad. No bipolar. Though I am ADD.  I LOVE it. I'm not aware of experiencing any side effects really, other than when I first took it I was VERY short tempered for a few weeks. But this is the first time in a long while that a drug has quickly made me feel like "I'm back!"  No tiredness or grogginess. It actually feels like it picks me up a bit. 

I read others' comments here and I truly sympathize but in all honesty I have had NONE of the side effects that they mention. No constipation or sickness or hair loss. No sexual issues. And I twice skipped some days when my insurance was screwing me around with the prior authorization and I did not feel any withdrawal from it either. Unlike, for example, Effexor, which made me really dizzy in the same situation (Lol. Perhaps I'm on a placebo?! ). I did get short tempered again tho when I started again. 

I guess it's different for everyone. I for one would fight tooth and nail if my insurance ever denied it. It's the first thing in a long while that really seems to work well and consistently for me. 

Good of luck my fellow crazies! 

On third week of Fetzima (40mg). 1st week was great, 2nd was OK, but now I feel like everything around me is fake. And everything I did in the past was just a dream. I do not like the drug. I'm giving it 6 weeks to work.

Just starting it again after being off it for over a year, my new pdoc wants me to try it again.

anyone have success with it ?

Sook, no luck with the Paxil?  How about Latuda or Rexulti?  I just switched from Latuda to the other.  I'm running out of options and am still waiting on the tms. 

Fluffy - I have been asked by my new pdoc. to ween of the Paxil and try Fetzima again.

How have you been feeling on the Rexulti ?

Did you try Latuda and did it work ?

I hope you get approved for TMS, when will you know ?

• Like 1

I've only been on it for three days.  So far it's helping slow my brain down with negative thoughts.  It's so new with very few reviews on it.

Latuda did help with my mood a little but it made my anxiety go through the roof.

We've had three internal denials so now my appeal packet has been sent outside to the state.  It went out yesterday.  They have 3 days to respond with a yes or no.

Found out that my dr does the Brainsway deep tms in this office so If I get approved, that's what I'll be having.  It's a helmet, goes deeper in the brain and the time spent in the chair is shorter.  I've got to try it.  If I get denied I'll scratch the money up somehow.  Hopefully, I won't have to.

I hope the Fetzima does the trick for you!  Have you looked at tms for yourself?  Looks like you'd be a perfect candidate too.

Hugs!