CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Stickler

Don't let the door hit you...

It's also played on oldies radio stations. I first heard it when I was living out in New Mexico on an oldies station. 

What years was this song popular?  Am I the only one who hasn't ever heard it before?

"It charted for five weeks during 1966; in week 3 it peaked at #3, it scored #5 in week 4, and fell to #37 in week 5. This was due to radio programmers removing the song from their playlists, fearing an adverse reaction from people who might consider the song as ridiculing the mentally ill."

I (or you I think) had not been born in 1966, but It's the kind of song you might here on a show doing novelty songs, or a novelty song compilation. 

You're right, I was born in 1972.  But I've never heard it anywhere.

My all time favorite from an ex was" it's just your hormones" and " it's all in your head"

Well duh, it's all in my head, jackass.

Needless to say when we broke up I was not devastated .

Edited by Hupcake

this thread is incredibly disturbing to me. not because people are upset about the reactions they get in person, but that it's designed to shame and UNwelcome other mentally ill people simply because they are in a different place, of a different perspective. are they not also works in progress even though you can't see it from your vantage point? do they not merit being treated as people instead of a punching bag?

the people who come here, who aren't perfect and who struggle differently, who may be trying to be helpful but are incorrect, who may be delusional and believe in their hearts that they are offering help and seeking help sincerely...people who have suffered from mental illness differently or who aren't in the same ultra enlightened place others appear to be posting from...people who have had experiences or backgrounds that incline them to checking out options you not only so smugly discard...but that you this creates an air of hostility and dismissal toward....are still people with mental health issues. it's ironic in light of seeing the term mental illness olympics slapped onto others, but what is this? the treatment olympics? the insight olympics? we're all just people with mental health issues, right? or does that only apply if the person says things you like or agree with or are demonstrated in multiple published articles? 

if someone says something that isn't helpful, how fucking hard is it to stop for a second and think, maybe that person doesn't need to be shamed? or, maybe i don't have to get in a twist about a person, online, who is struggling with a mental health concern that manifests in a way i dislike? maybe offering what helps you or politely disagreeing wouldn't be so dismissive and othering to the very people who, theoretically, this site is also here to help.

it's one thing to reply to someone in a thread, but to create an entire thread that emphasizes that if you aren't of the same mindset you're unwelcome... i disagree with that wholeheartedly. what's truly shocking about this thread is how many people on here have been kind, i've seen be kind, to others in need...to me personally, but then to sit and reduce someone who comes here and offers a suggestion, or who is out of his/her mind and maybe not the most socially perfect...to just being worthless and unwelcome... it's like, you're people that are more than your posts on this thread, but failing to see that in others you disagree with or think it's ok to mock. do you not consider that maybe the same people you're writing off have more to them than one idea you disagree with? or that maybe they have enough shame in their lives without being told they're unwelcome in an entire three page long separate thread?  i'm glad you all possess perfect insight at all times and never have a hair brained idea or made a public arse of yourself...oh, but wait...i suspect many of you have. 

and, for the record, that part about "aliens"...that's not fucking funny at all. i've been experimented on and fucked with and it's not even slightly hilarious. and it's mean as shit for people to have a good time at others' expense. your concerns about mental health stigma? holy shit! because this isn't divisive and othering and stigmatizing those who aren't at the same place or same symptoms or using the same treatments or who dares to question one or more treatment options. 

until we stop attacking other mentally ill people for presenting with mental illness, there will always be prejudice and stigma and hardship and it sucks that we do it to each other. i've struggled a lot with what i see of my medications and people who force them on me and i'll leave you to your thread attacking others, i just wanted to register my dissent with this entire idea of mocking and saying that people are unwelcome when they are mentally ill and maybe, just fucking MAYBE, that's part of how illness presents. it does in me. so i'll not let the door on this thread hit me on my way out of it.  

You don't shame others, guilt others, or try to get them to stop taking their meds though, Mel.

That's the difference.

I also get that you're frustrated about being on court- mandated treatment. I would be too.

Edited by Stickler

I've had mental illness issues since I was very young (trichotillomania at age 3 until now) and tried various ADs in my teens (cut up my arm real bad and swallowed a bunch of sleeping pills) They messed me right up and I swore I would never take them again. I told myself to suck it up and just be normal. 16 years later and one serious alcohol addiction plus debilitating anxiety attacks and guess what? I have no choice but to take ADs. It's my absolute last resort and definitely not something I ever wanted to be taking. I eat healthy, go to the gym regularily, have lost 80 pounds, been at the same job for 12 years (I LOVE my job) have stable income, awesome kids, lots of friends and a very loving religious community and am so miserable I drink a litre of wine every night and cut often. The chemicals in my brain are just not right, no other possible explanation.

WTF is wrong with person who keeps fucking saying allergies and celiac disease causes MI????????????????????????????????????????  I don't fucking even......   I have celiac disease did controlling it suddenly cause my crazy to go away????  FUCK NO, it made it WORSE because suddenly I had a lot more energy.   Yep I have ALLERGIES, wtf does that even have to do with SHIT.  I don't eat tree nuts that DID NOT CURE BIPOLAR.   I know, right????  who knew??!!!

WTF???  WHat is wrong with these people???

Celiac causes MI???  Allergies cause MI??? Next we will hear that drinking milk before the age of 5 causes MI.

How would you convince someone (ie a DR) that (if you had celiac), that going gluten free might not be the best idea?  I'm getting tested for celiac soon and if I have it, I KNOW the DR will tell me to go on a gluten-free diet.  He's already said so.  Like it is so fucking simple.  Shit.  It is not like it will cure it or anything.  It may get better, but then my mood might be affected like you are saying, giving you more energy.  Not that it is a bad thing, but it would affect my mood, therefore change meds around.  How the fuck do I convince the DR that going gluten free might actually have a bad effect for me if I do have celiac? 

(I need to know this in advance because I have to know what to say if I have it, if confronted with it when I don't expect it, and get tongue-tied).

How would you convince someone (ie a DR) that (if you had celiac), that going gluten free might not be the best idea?  I'm getting tested for celiac soon and if I have it, I KNOW the DR will tell me to go on a gluten-free diet.  

If you are tested for celiac and the doctor says you definitely have it, I would definitely cut out wheat. I have a friend who has celiac, she felt AWFUL until she was diagnosed. Her life has changed completely now that she is religiously following a gluten free diet.

I am allergic to wheat but do not have celiac but I completely grok that this disease can seriously debilitate someone. If you are tested and the doc is sure, follow his advice for sure. I cannot imagine it will have any ill effect on your meds. If anything, maybe they will work better.

WTF is wrong with person who keeps fucking saying allergies and celiac disease causes MI????????????????????????????????????????  I don't fucking even......   I have celiac disease did controlling it suddenly cause my crazy to go away????  FUCK NO, it made it WORSE because suddenly I had a lot more energy.   Yep I have ALLERGIES, wtf does that even have to do with SHIT.  I don't eat tree nuts that DID NOT CURE BIPOLAR.   I know, right????  who knew??!!!

WTF???  WHat is wrong with these people???

Celiac causes MI???  Allergies cause MI??? Next we will hear that drinking milk before the age of 5 causes MI.

How would you convince someone (ie a DR) that (if you had celiac), that going gluten free might not be the best idea?  I'm getting tested for celiac soon and if I have it, I KNOW the DR will tell me to go on a gluten-free diet.  He's already said so.  Like it is so fucking simple.  Shit.  It is not like it will cure it or anything.  It may get better, but then my mood might be affected like you are saying, giving you more energy.  Not that it is a bad thing, but it would affect my mood, therefore change meds around.  How the fuck do I convince the DR that going gluten free might actually have a bad effect for me if I do have celiac? 

(I need to know this in advance because I have to know what to say if I have it, if confronted with it when I don't expect it, and get tongue-tied).

I'm celiac and going gluten free was like magic.  It doesn't cure anything, including celiac but it sure as hell makes you feel better, stronger and more stable. I have my moments when I'm staring at the Little Debbie or sourdough but I do not, vehemently do not want to go back to being in pain all the time.    As for mood, I did get a little more stable since I wasn't having stomach issues all the time so that's something but it's a chronic pain problem.  

until we stop attacking other mentally ill people for presenting with mental illness, there will always be prejudice and stigma and hardship and it sucks that we do it to each other. i've struggled a lot with what i see of my medications and people who force them on me and i'll leave you to your thread attacking others, i just wanted to register my dissent with this entire idea of mocking and saying that people are unwelcome when they are mentally ill and maybe, just fucking MAYBE, that's part of how illness presents. it does in me. so i'll not let the door on this thread hit me on my way out of it.  

i have felt immense anger at people who have denied me my experience by telling me i don't need meds (or whatever).

but in the end, melli, i agree with you.  i think it is helpful to stop and not assume the reasons for those kinds of perspectives.  it would be way easier to assume it's all either ignorance or malice.  i think you raise a good point when you say it's not that limited.  thank you for interrupting what is usually for me a knee-jerk reaction to being shamed or hurt in the past - i want to see what IS, not what i assume.  and i feel better at least trying to allow someone dignity.

You don't shame others, guilt others, or try to get them to stop taking their meds though, Mel.

That's the difference.

I also get that you're frustrated about being on court- mandated treatment. I would be too.

...I don't think you meant it like this, and I don't want to try to speak for mel. But I'm just going to say this:

In her situation, being on court-mandated treatment would be but one slice of my FRUSTRATED AS FUCK pie that I get served every day.

And to have someone say "I also get that you're frustrated about being on court-mandated treatment"... would mean, to me, were I in similar situation, that they don't really get the frustrations I experience []and frustrations would honestly not be at all the appropriate word, because i don't think there is a word] or why I experience them,nor how they manifest.

That is, if I were to be in a similar situation. <sarcasm> which is ludicrous. Obviously mel and I are NOTHING alike, right?</sarcasm>

---

That being said, I'm not terribly active here, but to make a general thread like this kind of sucks.

addressing each situation and each poster individually is appropriate and I've certainly been aggressive and protective on that front at times- and not at others, depending on the individual situation.

But to make a general thread, so many people are alienated with one sweep- even people who might be open to a conversation where one says to the other "Look you make me feel like shit when you try to enforce your ideas on me"... and that could be coming from either side of this, yes?

Was the point to alienate people? Or was it just because there was anger and someone felt crappy? I get the latter, but not really the former.

But to make a general thread, so many people are alienated with one sweep- even people who might be open to a conversation where one says to the other "Look you make me feel like shit when you try to enforce your ideas on me"... and that could be coming from either side of this, yes?

lol. I totally forgot what this thread was about when I answered Melissa about celiac. Also couldn't even understand what I posted back in the beginning of july.

This thread reminds me of one of my college professors, she was a health nut and also a conspiracy theorist. She told us that the body doesn't get diseases and that any diseases it it gets is from something that big pharma, or the environment, or something did to us.

My favorite though was that she said that you don't need anti-depressants, all you need to do is eat a handful of cashews a day.  

Nah. It was about the regularity of people showing up here and saying one of several variants on a theme:

- psych meds are government mind control, stop taking them

-psych meds damage your brain, stop taking them

-taking psych meds means you're a weakling, you should feel like a loser until you stop taking them

- psych meds are a crutch, stop taking them

- psych meds are a corporate ripoff, stop taking them

This irks the fuck out of me.

These people are saying their crackpot- ass opinion trumps my lived experience, for one. For two, there's people here for which those arguments DO work, and for whom going off meds are dangerous. For three, their attitude issues from an MI stigma perspective. Yes the MI can embrace the Crazyphobia of the culture around them, see also closeted gays who work against gay rights, women who fight feminism, ETC.

I was angry. I didn't intend to alienate Melly or someone who IS MI...what I was going after, and apparently not precisely enough, is people who judge against us or anyone for using meds, or try to guilt us about how we survive and cope.

Anyway, I'm sorry for hurting people and causing offense against those who came here for support. I can only apologize and state that that was not my intended target.

I do flatly hold the opinion, though, that it's actively dangerous to advocate to anyone besides yourself they go off any med.

It's nice if you can have a good quality of life without, but most of us here are not lucky like that.

Nah. It was about the regularity of people showing up here and saying one of several variants on a theme:

- psych meds are government mind control, stop taking them

-psych meds damage your brain, stop taking them

-taking psych meds means you're a weakling, you should feel like a loser until you stop taking them

- psych meds are a crutch, stop taking them

- psych meds are a corporate ripoff, stop taking them

This irks the fuck out of me.

These people are saying their crackpot- ass opinion trumps my lived experience, for one. For two, there's people here for which those arguments DO work, and for whom going off meds are dangerous. For three, their attitude issues from an MI stigma perspective. Yes the MI can embrace the Crazyphobia of the culture around them, see also closeted gays who work against gay rights, women who fight feminism, ETC.

I hate when people do this too.  You worded it well how i feel about it.

Stickler I'm assuming you're referring to Mellifluous and not me. Cause I'm certainly not offended by anything you said! 

Who knew there would be so many Melly's! 

Stickler I'm assuming you're referring to Mellifluous and not me. Cause I'm certainly not offended by anything you said! 

Who knew there would be so many Melly's!

Oops! Yup.