Software Update Finished, feedback welcome Read more... ×
CrazyBoards.org

Wooster

I wanted to self harm but instead I...

instead I did some crochet, texted with a friend, did laundry, took a bath, had dinner

I wish I could say these things helped.  It feels like I'm just delaying the inevitable.  But I tell myself if at each moment I just delay it a little more it will be ok.

• Like 2

Delaying is a reasonable strategy @Distant Rabbit... apparently much like my response here! 

• Like 1

Last time I posted on here I was able to delay SI for a couple days- not great but better than nothing, I guess.

Now I'm trying to distract/delay by crocheting and watching TV.  

I called my boyfriend and spent the night at his house, where I would be under supervision the whole time. 

I watched a movie and that helped distract me.

I wrote in my journal.

Listened to sad songs and cried.

Went for a walk.

Exercised.

Took a long shower/bath.

These seem to work for me. Not always, but most of the time. Although I know that they're just distractions and not solutions.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate every one sharing their stories on this panel and I am sorry for whatever reason you are cutting. Continue to distract yourself with things you can do like painting, writing a book, traveling!, speaking with a friend you haven't seen in a long time, go to church...anything but cutting. God Bless you guys.

FINALLY folded and put all my laundry away so I'm not getting dressed out of the clothes basket for the first time in about a month.

Though I have overcome this thing but there was a time when I self-harmed myself mercilessly by cutting with blades, glasses whatever I could get. However, I determined myself and started doing exercises during these phases and by God's grace its gone, no urges and no self harm.

I haven't self harmed for about ten years but it still sometimes crosses my mind to do it when I'm low and full of self loathing. I don't have any answers which will help people stop doing it - I stopped because it escalates, and I was afraid of needing to go to hospital and being found out. I know the pain takes your mind off whatever you're mentally torturing yourself with, and for me it was also a way to take out my hatred of myself in a real way. There are better ways to distract yourself from crappy thoughts. Cute animal pics and videos help. The world is awful and people are all trash and I'm a piece of... awww! Look at those little kittens!

Often works for me anyway.