CrazyBoards.org

Just now, Iceberg said:

Do you need an inpatient stay? Just asking cuz it would at least get you out of the house and have some immediate feedback. Having done it before I know that after failed ECT the med options are a lot tricker and maybe close observation will produce a lightbulb 

Can’t afford dog care anymore broke now. Don’t ever want to see that particular hospital again either. Cost me 383.00 for 2 weeks of care for my baby. 

And my disability is only 800. Heh

9 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Do you need an inpatient stay? Just asking cuz it would at least get you out of the house and have some immediate feedback. Having done it before I know that after failed ECT the med options are a lot tricker and maybe close observation will produce a lightbulb 

If I had care for my dog I’d go to a different hospital in a heartbeat 

5 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I'm sorry that's tough. No family options? 

Heh. Mom has bpd just took me out of her will a few days ago. Again. I have no family available, no. 😐

7 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I'm sorry that's tough. No family options? 

Just googled doc that did ECT in hospital. He’s been licensed for five years. 

Wish I could sue

• Sad 1

Just now, Iceberg said:

Do you think it was the doc's fault tho or just the ECT itself ?

Had ECT with miraculous results several years ago. No problems. 

1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Do you think it was the doc's fault tho or just the ECT itself ?

Thanks so much for chatting with me, I’m feeling out of touch with everything going to lie down listen to Buddhist chants. Thank you again. 

10 minutes ago, DammitJanet said:

Had ECT with miraculous results several years ago. No problems. 

Thanks so much for chatting with me, I’m feeling out of touch with everything going to lie down listen to Buddhist chants. Thank you again. 

Hope those chants help!! 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 2:24 PM, lifequake said:

@DammitJanet  I am so sorry you had a (partially) similar outcome.  I imagine you are in a state of confusion and disbelief over what has happened to you.

Allow me to validate that your anger is justified and prepare you gently for any invalidation and denial you may encounter from various medical professionals. 

It seems that my psychiatrist believes me  

If I were you, I would request all your records, and run like hell from that psychiatrist.  You will likely not get the understanding you seek, nor an apology for any damages incurred.

I do not know the details of your situation, but please PM me if you would like to vent or need any support.  I know of an online support community with tips for coping/brain healing, legal contacts, advocacy, etc.  You are not alone. 

Hello again. Fortunately, my personal psychiatrist believes me. The psychiatrist that did it was specifically the hospital pdoc. I desperately want to get the nerve to at least call him, ask him what he did exactly; bilaterally or unilateral, and doses compared to the first time I had it done. 

I was so depressed I didn’t even ask him that stuff prior. Stupid me. 😐

The headaches are excruciating daily and shoulders/neck are so tight I can barely check blind spot while driving. As if I should be driving ! I’m getting confused easy and trying to socialize is hard without being able to plan what I’ll say first as words aren’t coming near as easy off the cuff. 

I used to be pretty intelligent...now I’m literally stupefied.

I’m probably gonna stay away from any group, only because if I focus on it too much it’ll be at the forefront of my mind, and I’ll feel sorry for myself more. I just have to learn to deal with it, as it is what it is and can’t go back in time. 

Bless you for your support, I appreciate your pm offer. That, I’ll most likely take you up on. 

I hope your day is better than usual today. *hug*

On 8/25/2018 at 3:37 PM, DammitJanet said:

Hello again. Fortunately, my personal psychiatrist believes me. The psychiatrist that did it was specifically the hospital pdoc. I desperately want to get the nerve to at least call him, ask him what he did exactly; bilaterally or unilateral, and doses compared to the first time I had it done. 

I was so depressed I didn’t even ask him that stuff prior. Stupid me. 😐

The headaches are excruciating daily and shoulders/neck are so tight I can barely check blind spot while driving. As if I should be driving ! I’m getting confused easy and trying to socialize is hard without being able to plan what I’ll say first as words aren’t coming near as easy off the cuff. 

I used to be pretty intelligent...now I’m literally stupefied.

Just to clarify, you had ECT years ago with positive result (up until now)? And then after your current relapse, you just received another treatment in-hospital with these poor results? I've been researching ECT (and testimonials) for awhile, as I seem to have treatment-resistant depression and may get to the desperate point (in the future) where I seriously consider ECT.

But I am very very afraid of these risks and don't want to do something that would render me unable to function or work ever again :-(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

Just to clarify, you had ECT years ago with positive result (up until now)? And then after your current relapse, you just received another treatment in-hospital with these poor results? I've been researching ECT (and testimonials) for awhile, as I seem to have treatment-resistant depression and may get to the desperate point (in the future) where I seriously consider ECT.

But I am very very afraid of these risks and don't want to do something that would render me unable to function or work ever again :-(

Exactly correct. It was miraculous the first time. 

I looked up my doc this time and he’s only been licensed for 5 years. I’d just say do research. I am starting to function a bit better, but the headaches still are nonstop without medicine for them!

17 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

I am starting to function a bit better, but the headaches still are nonstop without medicine for them!

There is no med you can take for headaches/migraines? I'd think they would offer this after ECT, seems like a common aftereffect.

Keep us posted on how you do. A small part of me wants to try it, but then I read all of the horrible testimonials....Also it seems no one gets away with just a few sessions of treatments. You start with like 12...then any benefit is temporary, and treatments must be maintained usually for life, or every few years. Then you must still stay on meds afterwards, correct?

Can I ask how much you paid out-of-pocket? I'm not sure what type of insurance you have, or if insurance usually covers most of these treatments for med-resistant folks? I'd rather do TMS (less invasive), but can't afford that.

5 hours ago, Blahblah said:

There is no med you can take for headaches/migraines? I'd think they would offer this after ECT, seems like a common aftereffect.

Keep us posted on how you do. A small part of me wants to try it, but then I read all of the horrible testimonials....Also it seems no one gets away with just a few sessions of treatments. You start with like 12...then any benefit is temporary, and treatments must be maintained usually for life, or every few years. Then you must still stay on meds afterwards, correct?

Can I ask how much you paid out-of-pocket? I'm not sure what type of insurance you have, or if insurance usually covers most of these treatments for med-resistant folks? I'd rather do TMS (less invasive), but can't afford that.

The first time I had it, they gave me hydrocodone right after, and they never lasted past that day. 

This time was completely different and messed up, and even weeks I’m having them daily and all I have for pain is tramadol which really messes with my mood. 

Insurance paid for it all, because I’m on Medicare with Medicaid as an adjunct. I’ve heard it’s covered by most though. Especially when all else has failed. 

Edited by DammitJanet

6 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

@DammitJanet I hope you find some relief! How is your mood now? Any better than before the treatment?

This round actually made me feel worse! And in general just did a lot of crap to my cognition, memory, etc. But. The first round several years ago like I said, was miraculous. The only reason I’m feeling slightly better now is a change from Cymbalta to Viibryd. 

Not what you wanted to hear, I’m sure. Sorry. 

14 hours ago, DammitJanet said:

This round actually made me feel worse! And in general just did a lot of crap to my cognition, memory, etc. But. The first round several years ago like I said, was miraculous. The only reason I’m feeling slightly better now is a change from Cymbalta to Viibryd. 

Not what you wanted to hear, I’m sure. Sorry. 

It really seems like a "hit or miss" and also makes a difference depending on unilateral or bilateral. Do you remember how long ago you had the first treatments? And how many sessions you completed?

How many sessions have you had this most recent round?

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

It really seems like a "hit or miss" and also makes a difference depending on unilateral or bilateral. Do you remember how long ago you had the first treatments? And how many sessions you completed?

How many sessions have you had this most recent round?

I’m not sure if it’s hit or miss, or just doctor’s experience. I tend to think the latter. 

My miraculous sessions (8) were in 2012. I think bilateral. 

This time was 4 sessions, only because I wouldn’t let him do one more. Zero benefit, I just don’t think he did something right. Now I doubt I’ll ever try again, even if life or death. 

• Sad 1

ECT for me was AMAZING.

Two problems though.

1) Memory - still not back the way it was :(

2) Apnoea. They got the drugs wrong on one occasion and I ended up paralysed yet awake - I couldn't breathe, let alone signal that I was in distress. Ended up having a lot of therapy for that blunder :(