CrazyBoards.org

A while ago i had a moment when i was suicidal and i attempted its not like i had it too bad but i took my meds and wanted to get better and i wanted off of em cause it had been a while and who wants to stay on em and so i told my mom and she agreed with it and it was alright for a while but i had a breakdown and my mom put me back on them ( theyre zoloft btw) and i dont really have an outlet so im here and i wanted to know if it ever truly does get better.

It can get better but it might take time and maybe med changes. It took time for me to feel decent and each time there were bad times again I got discouraged. But now things are better most of the time. Doesn't usually work to go off meds, though. 

• Like 1

Slow and steady. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. You get what I mean. Psych meds are a marathon not a sprint. I literally only know one person with MI who responded to their first med enough that they didn't need a change or add on (which is why I think lithium should be more first line but anyway). It gets better, it's just that sometimes it gets worse first 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2017 at 4:37 PM, Iceberg said:

Slow and steady. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. You get what I mean. Psych meds are a marathon not a sprint. I literally only know one person with MI who responded to their first med enough that they didn't need a change or add on (which is why I think lithium should be more first line but anyway). It gets better, it's just that sometimes it gets worse first 

thanks for replying its been a year im still here mostly because im afraid if i did anything my mother would get rid of my dog but nothing has really changed except my mom who says shes looking for a doctor for me and so on is actually not because its been like 5 months since i first asked and ive resorted to weed to deal with my problems

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      So I've been depressed and have had severe anxiety for 3 years. Antidepressants make me hypomanic (kinda) and triggers unstable mood. I don't fit in the usual description of bipolar, but there is definitely something not right about the way i react to antidepressants - feeling high, warm, racing thoughts x 100, gets overly chatty etc. 

I've tried the following moodstabilizers
      Lamotrigine (disaster)
      Trileptal
      Gabapentin
      Abilify (made me hypomanic)
      Seroquel (made me hypomanic)
      Depakote/valproate (still taking)

This depression is killing me, but my p.doc. won't prescribe me lithium. Tried two different doctors. What are your thoughts?
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      So I'm withdrawing from Gabapentin 900 mg. I'm down to 300 mg every second day. About a month and a half ago I tried going from 300 every day to 300 every second day - skipping a dose every other day. At first it went just fine, but then at the second week mark i started getting really depressed and began crying all the time. I then went back up to 300 every day and I started feeling better again.
      Two weeks ago i went back down to 300 mg every other day, and again the first week was fine, but now I am experiencing the same thing all over again.
      So - I know this is a popular question - but is this just withdrawal or is it a relapse? I am not otherwise experiencing any other symptoms.
      Has any of you gone through gabapentin/neurontin withdrawal? And has anyone else experienced this pattern?
      I am taking it for bipolar disorder NOS and anxiety, but it hasn't really helped that much. I am also on Mirtazapine and Depakote
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been dealing with unbearable symptoms for over 4 years. Insomnia, racing thoughts (OCD), derealization, irritability, brain fog and depression. 
      I have tried so many medications, but none help. My insomnia and anxiety are through the roof and I have 24/7 derealization. Years ago, 2007, when I was struggling with depression, my psych talked about starting an MAOI, but we instead we added geodon to Zoloft and it worked (for awhile) 
      Long  story short, I developed sudden onset ruminating thoughts (in form of OCD), insomnia and Anxiety  in 2009. After many trials of meds (I’m adverse and paradoxical to most) I finally was put on remeron which got me sleeping again and in turn helped my other symptoms. 
      From 2010-October 2014 I did relatively well, that is until remeron stopped working and all my symptoms came back. 
      Since I have been inpatient several times trying every sleeping med , bipolar med, SSRI etc with no relief. 
      Mom wondering if an MAOI could help me? Can MAOI’s treat anxiety? Racy brain? I’ve read they can make insomnia worse, which I don’t need. 
      Symptoms: severe insomnia, lucid dreams/nightmares, 24/7 derealization, severe anxiety and panic, major depression, brain fog, dizziness, migraines. 
      I believe, like in 2009-2010, many of my symptoms are from sleep deprivation. I am very desperate to get control over my anxiety and sleep. I’m at the end of my rope. 
      Could an MAOI help me as a last ditch effort to get some kind of quality of life back? 
      Current meds: weaning off Zoloft, weaning off remeron, geodon 20 mg X2, Ativan 5 mg per day (please don’t jump down my throat about this, it will give me a panic attack. I know it’s a high dose and I need to taper this too), prazosin 2 mg. 
      TIA
    • By Truthometer
      Welbutrin (Bupropion) is a dopamine-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor; its occupancy at dopamine transporter (DAT) is 23%; whereas over 75% causes euphoria (ex. cocaine). A dopamine reuptake inhibitor (DRI) is a class of drug which acts as a reuptake inhibitor of the monoamine neurotransmitter dopamine by blocking the action of the dopamine transporter (DAT). Reuptake inhibition is achieved when extracellular dopamine not absorbed by the postsynaptic neuron is blocked from re-entering the presynaptic neuron. This results in increased extracellular concentrations of dopamine and increase in dopaminergic neurotransmission.
       I am currently taking Abilify 400 mg every 3 weeks (~ 20 mg / day) and 300 mg of Welbutrin. 
      I was complaining to my psychiatrist about the side effects of Abilify I was suffering from; depression (low mood),  sexual dysfunction, anhedonia, from a condition called "Neuroleptic Induced Deficit Syndrome" . I complained that I had totally lost my motivation, drive, and initiative and was experiencing anhedonia (lack of pleasure), emotional suppression, etc. It is like living in a mental restraint "straigthjacket". So my psychiatrist added Welbutrin. Abilify dampens down dopaminergic activity in three of the four dopaminergic pathways; It is the only Antipsychotic that I know of that can increase mesocortical dopaminergic activity. Other partial agonists like Brexiprazole and Cariprazine might do this also, whereas a silent antagonist cannot. Welbutrin has treated my low mood; I am euthymic now, but I am still anhedonic from Abilify being so frequent for such a dose; I am taking the daily equivalent of 20 mg: 400 mg per 3 weeks. At lower doses Abilify has a more stimulating effect. The Welbutrin he added certainly helps; but is unfortunately not enough. 
      I am considering adding a dopamine full agonist such as Ropinirole, Rotigotine, Cabergoline and Pramipexole to my prescription meds. Some dopamine agonists are useful at treating depression resistant to SSRI-treatment. Dopamine agonists can be given to counteract the side effects of antipsychotics and serotonergic antidepressants. No doubt that dopamine antagonism has a negative effect on mood. In the mesolimbic pathway *(reward pathway)* Aripriprazole reduces dopaminergic activity; which reduces motivation - salience (liking, rewarding), which can be identified as a major source of anhedonia. Aripriprazole does not reduce dopamine transmission in the mesocortical pathway in people whose mesocortical pathway has .less than normal activity. The dopamine boost that Welbutrin provides keeps me stable; counterbalances some of the negative effects of Abilify. I just need more help in alleviating this zombified state of existence in which I am alienated from my own real self. and cannot enjoy the things I used to enjoy; food, drugs, sex. I live in anhedonia, a state of a loss of pleasure; due to the neurological inhibition caused by Abilify. Welbutrin works as a wakefullness promoting agent, a mild stimulant.

• By rebird77
      Hi everyone, it's been a while. 
      So, I took the full 6 months of my short term disability, and I just started a new job. It's a little stressful, but it pays well. It is a contract job, and it required me to move to the location of the contract. I'm salaried though, and my company is putting me up in an extended stay hotel, and they are flying my home once a month and getting me a rental car when I am home...so I can come home and see my sisters and parents. That is a blessing. I can see my best friend too. 
      I am struggling with the never ending anxiety that I can never beat. I take a lot of meds for my bipolar. I think mine is really non specified because I'm so hard to treat. I take geodon, gabapentin, topamax, klonopin and lunesta plus vitamins. If I could wean off klonopin I could probably wean off everything but geodon. I'm just not ready to wean off klonopin, and I take .5 mg even though I'm prescribed 1 mg. 
      I am doing therapy online with betterhelp since I am on the road, and it is going pretty good. I just selected and therapist, and am sticking with her. I don't like her as much as my IOP therapist, but it is online, so I acknowledge the quality of therapy won't be as good but it is consistent. 
      I did go no contact with my ex boyfriend because that relationship was slowly killing me. He'd been abusive in the past, and was a narcissist. I loved him so much that it contributed to my breakdown in a serious way, and taking this job moved me out of state and away from him and helped me go no contact, so I am working through that with my therapist. It's hard. I've had ptsd over the past couple months since my short term disability was about to run out and I wasn't sure what I was going to do about money, and I knew I had to do something about him. I was waking up with nightmares and night terrors thinking someone was trying to kill me or I was going to die or the world was going to end. I don't know how to describe it. It was terrifying. I felt completely untethered from this world and it felt like I was threatened and like I was going to not live or survive or maybe subconsciously didn't want to. That was the scariest thing. I slowly started to feel disconnected from everything. Like I am just meaningless and one of billions of people and what does it matter? Those weren't my thoughts but my feelings. I was fighting that daily. I have been fighting that.
      ive also been fighting some mortality issues with my age. Since I just broke up, I just turned 39, and I am traveling and single again. I am scared I won't meet anyone again or fall in love again. I worry about my parents aging. All of a sudden this stuff is in my head. I think because I have leaned on them so much this year since it has been so hard. 
      'I guess the good news is, I stopped having nightmares a few nights ago. No more night terrors and waking up thinking I'm going to die. I enjoyed music at work today. I went to a recovery group at church last night and that was helpful to talk and heal about what I went through with my ex. I'm trying to do the best I can at work. If it works out, great. If it doesn't, life will go on, and hopefully, so will I. I am trying to live more in the moment and practice mindfulness to help with my anxiety. Trying to take things one day at a time and if I can't do that, take things one moment at a time. 
      I know bipolar is for life, but I think recovery is possible, and it is possible to function with this illness, but maybe we just have to modify our lifestyles. Right now I just come to the hotel, take it very easy and am very gentle with myself and rest at night. I try to exercise when I feel like it. I need to be a little better with my diet. But it's not that bad. I'm not pushing myself working late or volunteering to work longer hours even though I know I can. I know what that leads to...cycling. My goal is boring stability. I take turmeric and magnesium to keep brain fog at bay but I wish I knew what I could do about these feelings of despair and loneliness. Maybe that's not mental illness. Maybe that's just heartbreak, and will take time to heal on its own. 
      Love to you guys and to everyone living with mental illness.