CrazyBoards.org

About to go off abilify. Went from 2.5 mg - 1.25 mg 5 days ago.

since yesterday anxiety, agitation and akathisia has gone through the roof. My intire body tingles, burns etc. And it feels like i’m about to explode. Just can’t relax.

I was only on the drug for 4 weeks.

Any ideas how long this is going to last?? And has anyone experienced this as well?

damn you drugs.. Amiright <_<

Hi there

I'm moving this to the antipsychotic board, where you'll hopefully receive more targeted responses.

Mia (mod)

• Like 1

Abilify is actually one of the easiest psych meds to withdraw from. It has a super long half-life and does its own taper.

Edited by jt07
something crazy with the formatting
  • Like 1

How are you doing?

My psychiatrist has recently asked that i try abilify (in addition to my current medication regimen of luvox klonopin and lamictal for chronic Depersonalization... it also helps with other things).

I'm concerned because the last AP I took somewhat led to my dx of chronic Depersonalization. 

I've read that its an easy need to come off. But everyone's different. 

I haven’t had any depersonalization with abilify. I did have emotional flatness though - which felt like depersonalization. But again, I’m extremely sensitive to all drugs. Abilify was great for my depression and anxiety as well. It made me mentally restless and pushed me into a hypomanic state. A lot of people have had great succes with abilify. Don’t be afraid of it. 

Sorry to hear about your depersonalization! - It’s no fun. Wish you luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyclingsarah said:

I haven’t had any depersonalization with abilify. I did have emotional flatness though - which felt like depersonalization. But again, I’m extremely sensitive to all drugs. Abilify was great for my depression and anxiety as well. It made me mentally restless and pushed me into a hypomanic state. A lot of people have had great succes with abilify. Don’t be afraid of it. 

Sorry to hear about your depersonalization! - It’s no fun. Wish you luck.

Thank you sarah

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Britton777
      Hi all. I saw my (worthless psychiatrist today- I’m seeing a new one in March) 
      I suffer from severe anxiety and panic, OCD (ruminating thoughts, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts), derealization, severe insomnia, agitation and depression. I have tried many many medications. Nothing has helped. 
      I specifically went to talk about trying Nardil today. She’s willing to let me try this, but will have to go off Zoloft and remeron for 2 weeks which scares me. Then if Nardil doesn’t help/work, I’d have to wait another 2 weeks to get back on something else. 
      She offhandedly asked if I had ever tried rixulti and I told her no. So she pulled out a sample pack for me. I’ve been reading reviews of drugs.com, and it seems that it helps many people with depression, but makes OCD, anxiety, agitation and insomnia worse. Doesn’t sound like a good medication for me. 
      Was hoping for some thoughts on this. TIA
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been dealing with unbearable symptoms for over 4 years. Insomnia, racing thoughts (OCD), derealization, irritability, brain fog and depression. 
      I have tried so many medications, but none help. My insomnia and anxiety are through the roof and I have 24/7 derealization. Years ago, 2007, when I was struggling with depression, my psych talked about starting an MAOI, but we instead we added geodon to Zoloft and it worked (for awhile) 
      Long  story short, I developed sudden onset ruminating thoughts (in form of OCD), insomnia and Anxiety  in 2009. After many trials of meds (I’m adverse and paradoxical to most) I finally was put on remeron which got me sleeping again and in turn helped my other symptoms. 
      From 2010-October 2014 I did relatively well, that is until remeron stopped working and all my symptoms came back. 
      Since I have been inpatient several times trying every sleeping med , bipolar med, SSRI etc with no relief. 
      Mom wondering if an MAOI could help me? Can MAOI’s treat anxiety? Racy brain? I’ve read they can make insomnia worse, which I don’t need. 
      Symptoms: severe insomnia, lucid dreams/nightmares, 24/7 derealization, severe anxiety and panic, major depression, brain fog, dizziness, migraines. 
      I believe, like in 2009-2010, many of my symptoms are from sleep deprivation. I am very desperate to get control over my anxiety and sleep. I’m at the end of my rope. 
      Could an MAOI help me as a last ditch effort to get some kind of quality of life back? 
      Current meds: weaning off Zoloft, weaning off remeron, geodon 20 mg X2, Ativan 5 mg per day (please don’t jump down my throat about this, it will give me a panic attack. I know it’s a high dose and I need to taper this too), prazosin 2 mg. 
      TIA
    • By BipolarBicyclist
      I made the prolonged mistake of not refilling my meds for about 3 weeks. Whoops! I'm on 20 mg of aripiprazole (Abilify) and 200 mg of lamotrigine (Lamictal), which I've been on for about 2 years in varying doses. So my friends finally took me to the pharmacist today to pick them up, but I want to make sure I'm safe about going back on. Should I slowly increase dosages? Or can I just start back on my normal amount ASAP? I would go to a psychiatrist to figure this out, but I there aren't any appointments for another 2 weeks.
    • By Abilifyscared
      Hello out there,
      i am so very desperate.  I was perscribed Abilify 2.5mg in July 2018.  Because I was struggling with inner restlessness and my symptoms were returning, I decided to discontinue at the beginning or December 2018 (5 weeks ago).  Since discontinuing I have experienced anxiety that is terrifying.  I have very little rest from it... terrible insomnia.  Many days I feel I can’t go on.  I returned to my doctor a week ago and she has started me on Sertraline, and has given me a few diazipam.  I was so desperate I went to the hospital yesterday and have been put under the care of the psychiatric team and have been given some sleeping tablets to help me sleep, which didn’t work very well last night.  I am scared that the withdrawals will never end. Is there anyone out there that has experienced similar? 
      Af x