CrazyBoards.org
Zaroxley

Is this anxiety? Trying to define the constant negativity.

I’ve been dealing with major depressive disorder and anxiety for several years now. I’ve read a lot of books on psychology and neurology. But I’ve only recently started seeing a psychiatrist. I was getting prescriptions from general physicians. Currently I’m on Wellbutrin and it works great for my depression but my anxiety still shows up. I told my doctor that it feels like an under-lying current. The anxiety is constant but I keep it at bay. He prescribed me Seroquel 25mg. Today is my second day on it. I don’t think I really knew how to describe my anxiety before today because today my brain feels silent. It’s like before there was a constant negative voice, my own voice - I guess, that would always repeat any negative thought I ever had. All my doubts were vocalized by this voice. I’ve never described it as a voice before because I always associated it with just thoughts. But today those thoughts are not there. I’m calm and that’s weird. So my question is, is it really anxiety? 

I have very negative thoughts from anxiety/depression. I don't know that I'd call it a voice. It is more of an inner dialog that is ongoing in my mind.

I tend to think of it in terms of the ego. I read the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle some years ago. If I remember correctly, he talks about you have the self and the ego. Most people think that their ego as themselves. It is pretty deep stuff.

Glad you're getting some relief. I took Seroquel a long time ago.

I would have to ask does this voice feel like you or something/someone else?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 
      My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.
      I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 
      The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 
      Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 
      Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused. 
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

• By Blahblah
      Hoping someone can offer some insight to what is happening with me?
      I've been taking Ritalin consistently over a year again. Pulled me out of a bad anhedonia - I'm focused, motivated and goal driven. Mood was great the last 5 months. Now, I'm having intense meltdowns in the afternoon/eve. Stress-related. Internal pressure to succeed. I've lost many years to depression, being unproductive (was even bed-ridden from episodes).I've worked REALLY hard to pull out, and had one of the best 5-month "good periods" in a long time. I'm afraid of going back to that...
      I wonder if the Ritalin is in fact causing mood swings now. I get crying spells: stress, perfectionism, anxiety, irritability. I know everyone here will probably suggest adding an antidepressant again, but to be honest the A/Ds increase my apathy and anhedonia (I have Double depression - chronic low mood/no pleasure, with intermittent severe episodes). I don't know what to do, this seems to be stress-related as I've been so focused on Ritalin and wearing myself down.
      My main coping mechanism lately is studying, reading, working, writing as much as possible to distract myself from my unrelenting unhappiness with my life and myself. Basically, nothing is fun or enjoyable for me, I can't enjoy going for walks, hobbies or even watching tv series. I think the Ritalin has motivated me (good) but I've become a workaholic robot who only gets satisfaction from output, accomplishing goals and achieving perfection. I feel like a complete FAILURE if I'm not learning or working the entire day until bedtime!!! Is this similar to a Hypo or "Mixed" episode?? I don't want doc to label me as Bipolar and then quit prescribing Ritalin.
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      So I've been depressed and have had severe anxiety for 3 years. Antidepressants make me hypomanic (kinda) and triggers unstable mood. I don't fit in the usual description of bipolar, but there is definitely something not right about the way i react to antidepressants - feeling high, warm, racing thoughts x 100, gets overly chatty etc. 

I've tried the following moodstabilizers
      Lamotrigine (disaster)
      Trileptal
      Gabapentin
      Abilify (made me hypomanic)
      Seroquel (made me hypomanic)
      Depakote/valproate (still taking)

This depression is killing me, but my p.doc. won't prescribe me lithium. Tried two different doctors. What are your thoughts?