Software Update Finished, feedback welcome Read more... ×
CrazyBoards.org

hello all,

i'm having a lot of trouble with some inattention/hyperactivity and i've been seeing psychiatrists for 16 years+ now but only recently my pdoc started suggesting i have some ADHD symptoms and i was wondering if those of you who have ADHD for sure and have been aware of it for a long time validate some symptoms for me? like do you experience the same kinds of things?

- inability to sit in lectures for longer than 10 minutes, feeling like need to move and feeling like "being on fire" and needing to leave?
- inability to read for longer than 10-15 minutes, lose thread of thought, feeling almost like emotional pain because can't go on with reading?
- same for everything that requires concentration for longer than 15 minutes?
- at work doing 1000 things at the same time (write 3 words in an email, then go back to the Word document, then adjust music volume, go back write another 5 words in the email, check another email, forget to add attachments etc etc)
- panic while watching movies bc losing track of what's going on have to take a break?

the problem is i also have borderline and boredom is a huge thing for me, and i can't escape boredom but is it bc i can't pay attention? or just.. what? WHAT'S GOING ON I'M SO CONFUSED?? could i really have had ADHD for years and decades and never realized it until now that i've stabilized my bipolar on meds? is that a thing? pls help guys thanks i'm not a freak right.

What do you mean "not realized it"? Have you just now started experiencing these symptoms or are you just now aware that they have always been there?

I'm ADHD-Inattentive type so I don't have a lot of advice for the hyperactive part but yes I absolutely suffer from some of what you do. I used to absolutely love to read. I could sit and read a book for an hour easily, sometimes for the whole day. But starting around 2 years ago I started to lose that ability; all the way to the point where I couldn't read two paragraphs without forgetting what I had just read or, if I am able to sit and read for 30 minutes, I'll realize two chapters later that I haven't actually been retaining the info because my mind was off somewhere else without me even noticing. It's led to me just not reading or watching movies/new shows. Before I went to my psych it got to the point where I couldn't even play my favorite video games anymore because my mind would be all over the place and I'd have no idea what I was doing halfway thru the match. 

You're not alone my friend. I hope the Concerta is helping!

I have had ADHD ever since i can remember 

I am ALYWAYS moving even if i look still im wriggling my toes or mving my tongue 

I cant listen very well

I forget things easily 

I am depressed/anxious but when i wasnt i was very hyper literally climbing on the walls and even now i can have those moments

I find it hard to concentrate 

I am always thinking my mind is going 24/7

I have been on tablets for years however and it does help me i know ive been off them for times but i honestly cant remeber a time i havent taken medications for it i take hte concerta 36mg i think thats hte right unit of measure not sure but i cant still have hte above symptoms, ADHD can be hard to spot sometimes some facts about it too females tend to be less hyper but harder to concerntrate while males are more hyper (not a sexist thing just something that tends to be more present in the specfic genders) however can easily be both ways trust me the tblets work and if htey arent you may need a higher dosage hope this helps

Posted (edited)

I usually have 5 or 6 books on the go at a time, read a page or two of one, swap to another. This is with non-fiction, normally I just have one fiction. Before goodreads I found it really hard to finish a book, but now I like adding them to the list, I get a real kick out of it, so I can finish books :)

I interrupt people and finish their sentences and can't stop myself jumping in to other people's conversations sometimes when they are interesting or WRONG about something.. like the lady who I heard utter the words "It's the smart version of Autisim" ... WHAT

My moods tend to change at the drop of a hat.. very low emotional inertia you could say. They also tend to be really extreme, according to my BF.. I thought this was normal, he said he never saw anyone cry like me in his life and he's nearly 40. I cry like actresses on TV cry when they find out their children are gone.

I can be really irritable

Every flatmate I ever had had to sit me down and talk to me about leaving the oven on or the hobs on or the gas on. It never did any good.

I can have an irritated tone of voice because it seems urgent to get the information out quickly, and I upset people :(

I often zone out while people are speaking, even when I am interested or it's important or both

I sometimes lose my train of thought in the middle of a sentence

I leave my keys in the front door for anyone to just walk in

I leave the back door wide open

I boil the kettle to do the wash up, start doing the washing up.. start doing something else.. water is cold by the time I get back to the wash up, if i get back to it

I tend to half do a household chore and then this feeling starts, I call it the buzzing, I get it when I write as well (I've dyxlexia) it's like a restless feeling but i know restlessness it's not restlessness.. I feel like if I keep doing it my head will start bleeding so I move onto another one... I tell myself Ill do the other half the next day but I never do usually

My autopilot is unreliable and will do strange things or break down completely if interrupted

I can NOT concentrate on the road when I'm cycling (this is why I refuse to learn to drive a one tonne weapon of mass destruction called a "car")

I won't watch a movie in one sitting unless I have to.

I am completely addicted to my phone and can not seem to control this, furthermore I knew it would happen so I waited ages before getting a smart phone.

If I listen to audiobooks or online talks etc. I need them to be sped up or I can't concentrate

Yeah I get depressed and have had delusions during depression in the past

I can't tell what order things happened in when I remember them, I have trouble gageing how much time has passed

I have almost no working memory so I am bad at tasks that require that. So for example in school I was ok at algebra and linear programming because you could see it so you didn't have to hold anything in working memory, I could do maths where every step was pretty stand alone and didn't require you to remember anything about the previous step, but once it did, I was lost. This meant I couldn't do certain things that were supposed to be "easy" and I could do certain things that were supposed to be "hard"

I always score really low in IQ tests because I'm 1/3 of the way through when time is up, like so low that if that was my actual intelligence I couldn't live on my own.

If I am concentrating on something and someone interrupts me I feel really disconcerted and sometimes really angry, like it's star trek and I just got teleported to an alien ship against my will with no warning.

I haven't got a dx because my country is really backwards in terms of that, I'm an adult but they want to interview my parents and see all my old school reports from 25 years ago.

Edited by Antecedent

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By nervousnellie
      Hi there,
      I am wondering if I could get advice regarding what type of professional is needed to diagnose ADHD?  What type of training, background, credentials, etc?  There have been hints that I may have ADHD (inattentive).  I have seen a clinical psychologist who told me she has neuropsychology experience (her PhD or PsyD is in Clinical Psych).  The tests she said she'd give me are the WAIS (Wechsler); the Woodcock-Johnson Cognitive Ability test, and the Taylor Manifest Anxiety Scale test (I do have diagnosed anxiety, and I have to say that IF I have ADHD , it does seem to be helped somewhat with anti-anxiety meds).  
      I guess my question is this:  how much subjectivity is involved in analyzing these tests?  This provider is covered by my insurance, but I'm not super thrilled with her experience (school counselor who seems to be fairly new at working with ADHD folks).  There is a neuropsychologist in my area who is supposed to be extremely good but is not covered by my insurance and the testing/reports/recommendations would cost over $2,000 all out of pocket.  Please note that if I DO get a diagnosis of ADHD, I would not be getting counseling from either; I would simply see if adding a small amount of stimulant (or other) medication would help me.
      I would rather not pay that much money IF the testing is relatively objective and the results would likely be the same regardless of who administers the tests.
      Thank you!!
    • By Stephielove77
      Hello, amigos. It’s day 3 on Ritalin SR 20 once a day,  finally prescribed after « doctor shopping » and faulty antidepressant tryouts. It kicked in right away however I did  take a nap today shortly after taking it but that’s probably my body’s usual reaction to fighting off anything new to the system. It worked right away which is a miracle!!!!!!  I have the worst job in the world which is dishwashing in my family’s restaurant, basically waiting to die. Well! Let me tell you, the soul crushing agony of a wasted 41 year old woman’s life were momentarily alleviated by focus, order, and execution. I just got on with it. S’ppose it coulda been a Placebo  (great band) effect but I’ll take it.                                Having run the gamut of, oh, every antidepressant to no avail, the last being Trintellix, which after a month left me exhausted, though I’M SURE it would’ve worked after six weeks 🤪                                          So experienced créatives,my questions to you are:  Has adding an antidepressant to your current stimulant (preferably Ritalin) made you exhausted/fried and if so for how long? Is Prozac a lost cause, especially according to Dr Charles Parker ? Ixnay on Celexa, Citalopram, Abilify, Viibryd, Trintellix, Cymbalta, Effexor...those last three were great for a 2 or so months then I slept all day, modalert didnt make a dent..Zoloft I would say I’ve had the most success with but maybe I should do the Ritalin for a couple months before reintroducing? And finally, Wellbutrin was great until the Cicadas in my head....I.E Tinnitus made me want to inpatient myself. Thank you!!               tl;dr dx’ed  MDD, no bipolar traits and other failed depression treatments include Valdoxan (Agomelatine), Doxepin, Celexa was a goddamn disaster. I aint doin’ no MAOI’s, thanks. Also I live in France and Ritalin was extremely difficult to get prescribed.                                         Thanks, Steph 
    • By icygrave
      Hi everyone. I'm here today seeking your advice. I have recently had Wellbutrin XL 150mg added to my cocktail of 5 years, Prozac, Klonopin, and Trazodone. It is being used to augment the Prozac and to address symptoms of lack of motivation, concentration, focus, drive, and apathy. I have only been formally treated for Depression, GAD, and Panic disorder, with there being discussion about potential ADHD. This is important.
      The Wellbutrin has been treating me wonderfully. It was a slightly rough start up, but I no longer feel "speedy", and dear god I might even feel..NORMAL? I have my motivation back. I have my energy back. My focus is back. I'm feeling creative again, I have new ideas, new projects I'm working on, actually PURSUING those new projects....this is so different from what I am used to. The apathy for the most part is also gone. That being said, I did some research on Wellbutrin and ADHD because these things I'm feeling, are different from when medications have worked for my depression. Before the Wellbutrin I was NOT depressed. So I thought, what if the Wellbutrin is helping with the ADHD my psych had brought up awhile ago? Upon further research, I have found that people actually DO take Wellbutrin for ADHD.
      The first thing I ask, which obviously can ultimately only be answered by my psych, is that if what I was feeling was not a partial response to my SSRI, but more so untreated ADHD symptoms? Did the symptoms I list in the first paragraph resonate with any of you? Second...if for some reason I eventually do end up on an ADHD stimulant medication, I am worried about two things. The first thing being that ADHD medications have potential for abuse, and I have a past of drug abuse. I used opioids though, and never really cared for stimulants. Do things like Adderall or Ritalin cause any cravings or reinforcing behaviors in you guys? Or for the most part, have they only helped you? Second, I am scared about being seen as a drug abuser by my pharmacy since I would be prescribed a stimulant AND a benzo. I had a bad experience with another pharmacy regarding my Klonopin prescription, and since then I have just been kind of ashamed by some of the things I present to my current pharmacy, even though it is all in my head and the pharmacy staff is full of lovely non-judgmental people. So, is it out of the ordinary to be prescribed something like Adderall with Klonopin?
      I apologize for the walls of text. Please let me know what you think, because this has been very eye opening for me, and I do not get to see my psych for another 2 months. Obviously for now I am just going to be grateful for the Wellbutrin, and will not be seeking out anything new, this is all for what is possible for me in the future. Thank you so much for helping me.

• By HaloGirl66PartDeux
      Hello again friends. It has been a few years. I was HaloGirl66. Or IndyMode. I can't remember. But I re-registered because I couldn't recover my old user info. 
      I've had severe insomnia, ADHD, GAD & Migraines for years and am now going through a bipolar diagnosis.
      So hello again.
      -Mandy 
    • By mmaryland
      I am 22 y/o and have filed for SSI twice. The first time I got denied I didn't appeal within 60 days so I had to apply all over again. Now I am going through to extensive appeal process and no lawyer seems to want to help me. They claim since I am young, I almost need to have schizophrenia or an autistic/spectrum disorder to be able to actually be approved and get benefits otherwise it is going to be very hard to get SSI. Now here are some of the facts of my case. I was fired from my job last November due to "no call, no show" because I was in a bipolar depressive episode where I literally didn't leave my room but maybe 5x to make a microwave meal and shower once. This episode lasted a little bit shy of 2 weeks. So for my 3 no call, no shows I was terminated from my job at University. I asked if they would accept a physician's note explaining my circumstances but the manager actually refused documentation, saying "No it's not necessary, I don't need that". She also said that I should have called and at least have told her what was going on so she knew I couldn't come in, but let's be real guys, doing that during a severe bipolar depressive episode is like writing a PhD dissertation in less than a day. So I applied for unemployment and get a denial letter saying I am denied benefits of $50/week because they contacted my former employer and was told I was terminated for misconduct. So that was the end of that.
      I had applied for SSI last year around August I would say and was denied 1st time. Re-applied December and got denial letter again, this time on Feb. 8th stating "your conditions are not severe enough for you not to work. You are capable of substantial gainful activity". Yet on my listed disabilities I listed epilepsy (reoccurring grand-mal seizures), bipolar disorder NOS,  insomnia NOS, ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks, manic episodes, social anxiety disorder, delayed sleep phase syndrome, and listed all the medications I was on and how some of them has side effects that were impairing themselves. Has anyone here who is young actually gotten approved for SSI benefits? If so, how many times did it take for you to finally get approved and did you use a lawyer to help you through the process? Also, if you don't mind, what conditions/disabilities did you report to them that you believed qualified you for SSI or SSDI? I can't apply for SSDI because I don't have enough work credits so I can only apply for SSI. This whole process kinda sucks and is difficult especially for people with disabilities. So frustrating.