Software Update Finished, feedback welcome Read more... ×
CrazyBoards.org

I just started Busar yesterday (2.5 mg twice a day) and am experiencing a terrible headache accompanied by blurred vision, dizziness, and thinking difficulties. It basically feels like the front of my brain is in a headachy fog.

I wanted to know

1) Has any one else experienced this with Buspar and how long did it take to go away?

2) How do you continue taking medication when it feels like you're poisoning your body? - Is it worth it? Does it go away?

1) haven't taken BuSpar but antecdotaly it's known for having pretty mild side effects but headache and dizziness are at the top of the list if you look at the side effects

2) there's no formula for how long to stick it out but I'd say try and wait it out cuz that's a pretty low dose. BuSpar isn't super fast for the good effects kicking in. Could u call ur doc? That might be the best option

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

1) haven't taken BuSpar but antecdotaly it's known for having pretty mild side effects but headache and dizziness are at the top of the list if you look at the side effects

2) there's no formula for how long to stick it out but I'd say try and wait it out cuz that's a pretty low dose. BuSpar isn't super fast for the good effects kicking in. Could u call ur doc? That might be the best option

Hey thanks for replying! :)

I'm really not sure what my doctor could do.. 

1. Yes, I have had this with Buspar.

2. Mine went away but I don't remember how long it took. Certainly longer than 2 days. More like a week or two. All meds have initial start-up side effects. Usually it is worth powering through them because you won't know if the Buspar is worth it or not unless you give the med a fair chance to work.

4 hours ago, Mms said:

I'm really not sure what my doctor could do.. 

With my doc if I hit a side effect that is really bad my doc could 1) stop the med, 2) change the dose, or 3)add a med short term to help with the side effect. 

5 hours ago, looking for answers said:

I felt nothing from buspar, sorry

No side effects? Or nothing at all?

I got really agitated and tense on buspar.  I got into a few arguments.  My neck muscles were constantly tense and it was an all around horrible experience.  Haziness and blurred vision would have been welcome.

I haven't taken buspar but my experience with other meds is that startup side effects like headaches and blurred vision go away after a week or two. If it's really painful talk to your pdoc though.

For what it's worth, I just started Buspar a week ago Tuesday (7.5 mg twice daily) and I have not had any problems, but my pdoc says I tolerate medication well...plus meds affect people differently.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I am now taking 5 mg twice a day. My headaches are better, but i feel SO agitated/ irritable. I feel like snapping at everyone! I don't know if this is from the medication or not..

5 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

I as on 60 very inert shows how ynmv

Yeah, I'm generally very sensitive to side effects. 

On 2/19/2018 at 11:57 AM, wookie said:

I got really agitated and tense on buspar.  I got into a few arguments.  My neck muscles were constantly tense and it was an all around horrible experience.  Haziness and blurred vision would have been welcome.

I think i am feeling that now.. how long did you try before stopping?

Posted (edited)

Sorry. Buspar does not have very good evidence. Doctors use it because it's safe and maybe will have a placebo effect. Or they use it because they have no idea that clinically it is practically useless. Either case, I would get another doctor.

Sorry to deliver bad news. They are likely afraid of giving you a benzo. 

Edited by RisingRayne

17 hours ago, RisingRayne said:

Sorry. Buspar does not have very good evidence. Doctors use it because it's safe and maybe will have a placebo effect. Or they use it because they have no idea that clinically it is practically useless. Either case, I would get another doctor.

Sorry to deliver bad news. They are likely afraid of giving you a benzo. 

For the people in whom Buspar works, it can be very helpful. It acts on serotonin, rather than GABA, so doesn't pack the same kind of immediate anxiety relief that benzos do. As such, it also carries essentially nil in terms of addiction potential.

We want our members here to work together with their health care providers. Please encourage people to ask smart questions rather than criticize and change providers without adequate information.

• Like 2

I appologize. Am I able to delete it? My intention was only to provide help. OP should take it as directed and bring it to his/her medical provider if it is not working. If OP is unsatisfied with his/her care, then seeking help from another provider is appropriate.

Still take the medication as directed. It can take up to 4-6 weeks for the full of the medication to occur. Avoid alcohol as Buspar may intensify effects and for obvious reasons that alcohol is a CNS depressant and can contribute to depression and even anxiety when it wears off.

I tried  Buspar many years ago.  I was light headed and had brain shocks from it.  I was taken off it by the doctor.