Software Update Finished, feedback welcome Read more... ×
CrazyBoards.org

I've been stuck in this awful cycle lately - go to my mental health appointment, be asked about self harm, admit that I have done it recently, agree to let a doctor have a look at my cuts, and then get shipped off to the emergency room. The most annoying part is when the community doctor (GP or pdoc) thinks that I have an infection and that I need antibiotics very urgently and that I will get sepsis and its all very serious etc, and so they force me to go to the ED, but the doctor there never thinks they're infected, and I just leave again with a few stitches! Its happened twice now and its so frustrating because its just wasting everyone's time.

I don't get how there can be such huge inconsistencies between the GP's opinion of infection and the ED doctor's opinion - I feel like the GP should ring and check first, before forcing me to go there. I know that ED doctors obviously see the worst cases of everything, which is why things are never that severe to them, but surely the GP should be at least slightly on their level of thinking. I had one GP a few weeks ago section me under the mental health act and literally force me to go to the hospital because he was so concerned, and the doctor at the hospital thought it was a massive overreaction. It was so traumatic and awful. 

I'm so over it and am on the verge of withdrawing myself completely from all mental health treatment. Its just an endless cycle of questions and useless meetings and nothing. God maybe I will get sepsis and it will put an end to everything.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense and is quite ranty. I'm just so done! (Haha I am also aware that a simple solution to this problem would be to stop self harming, but thats a bit beyond me at the moment). 

That does sound really awful. Worth maybe talking to your doc on a day when you haven’t self harmed to make some kind of preemptive plan in advance for how to handle it in a way you can both live with? I’d be upset too in your shoes. 

That's a good idea - would be worth a shot anyway! At the moment i'm still on the 'I'm gonna withdraw myself from all support' warpath, but if I do decide to stay then I will try that