CrazyBoards.org

echolocation

casual jokes about your MI

@jt07 @echolocation mmm, with fava beans and a nice Chianti...

@Cerberus I’m not on the autistic spectrum, I don’t think, but I froth at the mouth at such horrific words of “retarded”. There is just NO such excuse of “oh, I was kidding”. Those words are heinous.

I’ve gotten the “did you take your meds” a few times, from stupid husband. He thinks he was joking, but it was angering. Once I said “I might not have... go to sleep, I dare you...”

When they aren't meant to hurt jokes can be a way for people to accept your problems. And who want's people tip-toeing around them? I'm just depressed and think that it's the end of the world, but it's not the end of world or anything. That wasn't a very good joke (Yes! There was a joke there! And reading it back I now realise how poor it was. Thinking it's the end of the world but it's not the end of the world. I'm so sorry.) but I think that the sense of humour is always there when all seems dark and hopeless. Life is ridiculous, and that can make you either laugh or cry. I tend to fluctuate between the two points of view.

Something that's been annoying me recently is people saying that something is offensive to mentally ill people (generally it's people who aren't mentally ill). They may have the best of intentions but I wish they'd shove those good intentions up their arse and shut the fuck up. We are human still and your politically correct totalitarianism is doing more harm than good by making us into something that normal people need to treat as something other than 'normal' (I think I've expressed all of this poorly, and I could ramble on about how fragile such concepts as 'normal' and 'sane' actually are but I'm probably talking shit which has nothing to do with the original post.) Or am I overreacting? Probably. But I'm haven't been offended by many of the things that other people have found offensive on my behalf.

So in conclusion - the ones made of rubber last longer but cat's prefer aluminium.

• Like 1

@Fluent In Silence i thought it was a pretty good joke, actually. but i like those kinds of jokes. they're a small light when everything is dark.

i also really hate non-mentally ill people speaking on our behalf about what we find offensive. we can talk too, dumbass, let us decide. i think something that non-MI people don't always get is that the jokes we make about our MI are not always for them to be able to laugh at. so their reaction is, "you shouldn't make that joke, it's offensive." yeah, it might be, but i'm making it as a mentally ill person, about my experiences being ill. i get to laugh at it, and other MI folks who've been through the same get to laugh at it. non-MI folks don't get to, because they're not experiencing it. we're laughing at ourselves, they're laughing at us.

i hope that's somewhat coherent. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i don't have the energy to do my usual 15 minutes of editing per reply (a compulsion courtesy of the department of ocpd) so i'm just going to leave it.

I've always tried to keep black humor about MI part of the spirit of this website so yeah, I'm down with dark as shit suicide jokes and that kind of thing. 

On 30/09/2018 at 6:32 AM, Velvet Elvis said:

I've always tried to keep black humor about MI part of the spirit of this website so yeah, I'm down with dark as shit suicide jokes and that kind of thing. 

Let what be my fucking umbrella? Don't know if you wrote those but I remember reading "Today's forecast: bright and sunny except for one dark, festering, soggy black cloud permanently stalled out over you." and so on, and thinking that this seems like a good place. Humour is the best defence.

• Like 1

Yeah I think when it's friends doing it, it is nice, very  normalizing. Depends on how it's done, sometimes I feel like the emphasis is on encouraging you to change but trying to be polite by pretending it's a joke, and that's different, I don't like that. But I might be too sensitive to non-existent criticism?

Yeah I agree with Fluent in Silence, I love the forum names!