Software Update Finished, feedback welcome Read more... ×
CrazyBoards.org
CrazyRedhead

Teva vs Accord clonazepam-opinions?

Some people might already know this, but Teva has discontinued their clonazepam......Starting this month, the pharmacy I use will now be carrying the Accord brand........So my next fill, I will be getting the Accord.....I hate it when this type of thing happens.

I am trying to keep an open mind, but I have always used the Teva brand for years, and I'm a little nervous about the switch....I am wondering if it will work the same for me as Teva.

Has anyone used the Accord brand?.....If so, does it work well for you.?....How does it compare with the Teva brand, if you have used both?.....All opinions welcome......Thanks

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Teva was a sugar pill for me. I've tried so many generics and Accord is pretty good.  I now am on name brand, but I do think Accord is really potent.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ethansmom said:

I now am on name brand, but I do think Accord is really potent.

Thanks for your input......Glad to hear an opinion from someone who has tried both....!!

My pharmacy has used Teva, Accord, and Actavis (I think it was bought out by teva) they are literally all the same. The only thing that makes me prefer the new Teva pills, the actavis pink ones, is that when split they split evenly. The accord brand sometimes crumbles when cut in half and can be uneven when split. But potency wise... They're the same.

• Thanks 1

I worked in pharmacies for years and can honestly say I never heard anyone make kind of special request for any particular brand of clonazapem. They'll look different but in terms of how they function it'll be the same, except it'll look different. An Analogy: I know in my heart of hearts that Orijen is the best dry dog food money can buy, so I buy that, and if Orijen changed the bag tomorrow to include Comic Sans font, I'd still buy the food. The point is that if the med works for you, in all but a very small number of special cases you won't notice a difference between generics. That said, if you truly feel you do notice one, tell the pharmacist and ask for another brand. it's a common request and usually is accommodated,  especially in independent pharmacies.

Edited by La La LOLocaust
  • Thanks 1

Back when I was on clonazepam, the pharmacy would change the generic every once in a while. I never noticed a difference. Lamotrigine, however, was very different. The generic made a huge difference for lamotrigine.

• Like 1

I just switched to Accord without incident. I take 1-2 mg and felt no need to increase the dose or that Accord was weaker.

I think for IR (Immediate Release) medications it is unlikely for a manufacturer to mess up. Meds that are time release are far harder to emulate the original brand. The problems with generic Wellbutrin a few years ago illustrate this. The FDA is charged with oversight over generics and are supposed to do testing to assure the new generic has the same characteristics as the original. The FDA, rightfully so, complains they do not have the resources to do this. The governments has cut the FDA's budget year after year.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, notloki said:

I just switched to Accord without incident. I take 1-2 mg and felt no need to increase the dose or that Accord was weaker.

Thanks.....I will be picking up my first fill of Accord brand soon (previously got Teva).......Nice to hear that it seems to working fine for other people...

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Just an update, took my first Accord clonazepam last night, and it seems to work just as well as the Teva......I was very pleased with it.........So, I was all nervous for no good reason, but that tends to happen a lot with me....

• Like 3

On 10/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, CrazyRedhead said:

Just an update, took my first Accord clonazepam last night, and it seems to work just as well as the Teva......I was very pleased with it.........So, I was all nervous for no good reason, but that tends to happen a lot with me....

Seems fitting for someone prescribed clonazepam, yes? hehe. Happy you're okay. I had the same worries.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, jt07 said:

Back when I was on clonazepam, the pharmacy would change the generic every once in a while. I never noticed a difference. Lamotrigine, however, was very different. The generic made a huge difference for lamotrigine.

Lamictal and Synthroid are one of those funny ones where the manufacturer makes the difference. Synthroid especially. 

When a patient starts on a generic version, it is prudent to keep them on that same one. The tiniest of incriments make a huge difference. Some people prefer the brand Synthroid (because of the switching generic fear) while we've only carried Mylan's Levothyroxine and people have been happy with it. 

I'm not too sure about the Lamictal differences. There are one or two neuros who prefer brand but I haven't heard too much about it.

Late to the party, and never got to try accord, but found a big difference in Teva versus Actavis.

I'm very upset TEVA changed and I want it back. Tried Actavis, Solco and Teva Wafers all my pharmacy said they could order other than name.

Currently trying to get a prior auth for name brand. It's still not as good as TEVA was for me, but I'm extremely sensitive to medications and small changes.

I"m happy Accord worked for you!