CrazyBoards.org

I’m finishing an online school program. It’s been hard but I am doing it. But I hate one thing:  group work. We get assigned to groups of 3-5 students and have group assignments. I don’t know these people and they aren’t always someone I’d choose. It’s a group grade for group projects. Today I am so frustrated with my group. If I drank believe me I’d get drunk over it. It’s frustrating to have no control over what’s happening and be at the mercy of groupettes to finish an assignment that’s a huge hunk of my grade.  I guess I am mainly venting here. There’s nothing much I can do about this group, they don’t see eye to eye with me and apparently don’t mind turning in papers a minute before they are due. Any other school group frustrations?  What did you do?  Fortunately I never have to see these people again after December. 

• Like 1

I have a good friend who has hit this exact problem.  She got designated as the lead person for her group, but she can't for the life of her get any of other people to do their sections of the group paper.  She's faced with the choice of having to do it all herself or see if there's something she can squeeze out.  It's 50% of her grade, so that probably means do it all herself.

Right!  And if we complain to the professor we are told to work it out like in real life. I shouldn’t complain, this group at least do their work, even if we don’t agree on what the paper should say. 

Yeah, she has two people who literally won’t do anything.

Work it out like in real life is a cop out in my opinion.  If you’re at a job and two people are refusing, they aren’t going to have a job for too long.

• Like 1

That’s my thought too. But being in school doesn’t give me much power when I disagree. Ive never been in a “real life” group where people got away with this stuff. I’m glad it’s over soon. I need to get over being so frustrated by it. 

i haaaaaate group projects with such a passion. people slack so badly on them. i've got two more to do before the year is up and i am not happy.

if i were you, i'd keep checking in with them to see how the work is going. like you said, you never have to see them again after december, so be as pushy as you want. the other thing i'd do is cut my losses. group projects never end up with grades as high as things i do myself. you end up with a choice of accepting the 70 (or whatever grade) or doing a fuckton of extra work to bring it up to your standards. if you're taking other courses, buffer the loss with other marks. if not, oh well. one mediocre grade won't change anything.

i do understand your frustration, though. i took a marketing class that had three major group projects involving a ton of market research and then compiling a report or presentation. it was me and six other students, five of whom had fairly low english (international students). that group was a nightmare. i would section off the project and get back almost completely unusable answers using no real research, and usually indicating a misunderstanding of the basic task at hand. none of them understood how to cite sources or use sources properly, so everything was plagiarized.  i ended up doing almost everything. i've had shitty group projects since then, but that class took the cake. 

• Like 1