CrazyBoards.org

Dewey

New friend, new issues

I have no close friends anymore, mostly due to my disability and being unable to get out and about. 

However, I have one neighbor who has reached out to me and has provided transportation for me, which I regard as a very special person of interest now. 

She has a strange quirk.  She calls most evenings to chat, but..... she will only talk 30 minutes.  I got to the point where I watch the clock to get what I want to talk about in quickly.  She will announce it's time to go and she suddenly hangs up. She will also talk over the top of me and cut me off in the middle of a conversation.

It's very frustrating to be timed with conversations like this. 

She did explain that she has to use the bathroom frequently and that is one reason why she times the conversations, but when that happens to me, I just excuse myself for a minute or to, go my business and come right back.

My former neighbor will, right in the middle of something I am talking about, will suddenly announce that so-and-so is calling her, she will call me right back and off she goes, never to call me back again. 

I don't get it.  I am used to talking for longer times.  Since I live a very isolated life, I feel the need to talk longer than 30 minutes or less. 

On 11/19/2018 at 10:40 AM, Dewey said:

I don't get it.  I am used to talking for longer times.  Since I live a very isolated life, I feel the need to talk longer than 30 minutes or less. 

I'm just guessing here, but maybe she has "phone anxiety"......Some people can get very anxious about talking on the phone.

That is quite the quirk! Imagine! exactly 30 minutes! It sounds a little difficult alright, clock is ticking, tick tock, like on a game show. But at the same time, who knows what's going on inside her head and if this is what makes her feel comfortable, for whatever reason, it's cool that she has found it and doesn't just avoid the phone out of worry, like I do.