CrazyBoards.org

As the topic says, what helped or is helping you quit tobacco? 

I just bought a nicotine patch kit that has all three steps.  If that doesn't work, I'll probably ask to try Chantix. 

The patch and gum did nothing for me. Chantix was a miracle for me BUT beware it can do some crazy things to your psyche and my primary care doctor almost didn't give it to me because of my MI. Some people say Wellbutrin helps too. For me, it took many times of "quitting" before hopefully this is the last time. Being around other smokers esp. when drinking is the hardest to deal with. Good luck.

Don't take Chantix on an empty stomach or within an hour or so of sleep to avoid nasty effects.

Took me three times, and I think the third time I got the flu, being sick helps for kicking the habit.

I gradually tapered down the amount of cigs I smoked, until I was down to nothing.....I don't really see the tapering method being recommended a lot for quitting cigs, but to me it made sense (taper down the nicotine just like you would when discontinuing any other med).

I only smoked a pack a day at the most, and it did take several months for me to get to zero with this method:

https://www.helptoquit.com.au/how-to-quit-smoking/how-to-quit-smoking-cutting-down-to-quit

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I use smokeless pouches, like snus.  I probably only go through a can a week now.  I used to do one a day a few years ago.

I figured the patches would at least get me down to a regulated level, before going cold turkey.  Of course I have failed cold turkey many times before.  But I haven't used a cessation method before since they're all marketed to smokers. 

I just want to quit dipping, tired of all the money wasted and being addicted. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gb84 said:

I just want to quit dipping, tired of all the money wasted and being addicted. 

Didn't realize you were using the smokeless tobacco.......Here's a pretty good article that gives some quitting tips, specifically for smokeless tobacco users:

https://www.rogelcancercenter.org/breaking-habits-beating-us/smokeless-tobacco

Edited by CrazyRedhead

47 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

Didn't realize you were using the smokeless tobacco.......Here's a pretty good article that gives some quitting tips, specifically for smokeless tobacco users:

https://www.rogelcancercenter.org/breaking-habits-beating-us/smokeless-tobacco

Thanks for that. 

19 minutes ago, sbdivemaster said:

If you're talking dipping, I rescind my vaping advice.  Totally different habits.

However, if you do take up smoking, I recommend vaping to help you quit.  lol.gif

Lol

5 hours ago, sbdivemaster said:

Hit me up anytime for support!

Thanks bud! 

Ordered some mint snuff off Amazon.  Supposed to get the patches tomorrow.  Here's to getting tobacco free. 🤞

How are you getting on gb84?

I managed to quit by just going cold turkey. However, it took me a lot of attempts to do it. I'm finally there though and had my last smoke around 14 months ago.

Hope things are going well and the patches/mint stuff are working!

i used to chew tobacco. Not smoke. I tried so many things to quit. I tried patches, gums, was on welbutrin already.......they took the edge off but didnt work for me. I tried vaping..

i tried vaping, and the gum, and sunflower seeds. 

But what finally made me quit.

I got ulcers in my mouth, i was bleeding like crazy, dentist didnt know what it was, oral surgeon didnt know what it was, neither though cancer, but werent sure. Sent to a peridontist. He said my gums were ok and it wasnt cancer. But didnt know what was causing it. Turned out to be something i was eating actually, and people can have bad oral reactions to it. It was somethign i had just starting eating when it started to happen. DUring that time it took about 3 weeks to from dentist, to oral surgeon, to peridontist. THinking i had cancer...........i was not putting that stuff in my mouth. I used gum , seeds, vaping. Then after 3 weeks of not doing it, and being told i was ok. I was not going back.

The craving were intense for about 5-6 weeks. the first 3 weeks i had a"fog".  then teh cravings slowly subsided over the year. Intermittent cravings lasted about 3 years . WOuld come on out of no where. Im totally free now. but literally about 3.5 years till i didnt need to have gum, or something in my mouth. Nuts. 

I know this is of zero help to you, Because i went cold turkey, and it sucked, but i did it.  Anyways Good luck to all trying to kick the habit. You can do it, and its great when you do!

On 12/9/2018 at 1:08 PM, The Hitcher said:

How are you getting on gb84?

I managed to quit by just going cold turkey. However, it took me a lot of attempts to do it. I'm finally there though and had my last smoke around 14 months ago.

Hope things are going well and the patches/mint stuff are working!

I'm not doing good.  I made it a week on the patch and gave in.  Bought a tin, been dipping ever since.  As I see it, my teeth are already destroyed.  I haven't smiled in 6 years.  I look like a meth addict.  Dentist wants 7 grand for dentures, can barely afford to have a tooth pulled when it finally fails.  Fuck dentures, I'm 34 going on 35.  I already look like a monster, imagine my teeth falling out while eating or talking in public.  Hey, it might be good for a laugh.  Maybe I'll win the lotto and get implants.  I now know why my cousin went into dental surgery instead of becoming a primary physician.  Even he won't help me out.  

5 hours ago, gb84 said:

I'm not doing good.  I made it a week on the patch and gave in.  Bought a tin, been dipping ever since.  As I see it, my teeth are already destroyed.  I haven't smiled in 6 years.  I look like a meth addict.  Dentist wants 7 grand for dentures, can barely afford to have a tooth pulled when it finally fails.  Fuck dentures, I'm 34 going on 35.  I already look like a monster, imagine my teeth falling out while eating or talking in public.  Hey, it might be good for a laugh.  Maybe I'll win the lotto and get implants.  I now know why my cousin went into dental surgery instead of becoming a primary physician.  Even he won't help me out.  

Shit man, that really sucks! Sorry the patches didn't help you. Have you thought about another way of getting your nicotine, like gum? Might help with the oral fixation as well. Shame your teeth are so bad and your cousin won't help, hopefully something comes along soon and you can get them done, a nice bonus or something like that.