CrazyBoards.org

I wake up in a pretty severely depressed mood...sometimes it's no emotions, lot of times it's just intense depression, despair.

Once I get up and move around, eat, and exercise, it starts to fade away and by the end of the night I feel almost normal before going to sleep.

Problem is this is repeating itself every day and I often can not even get out of bed it's so bad.  

Any good strategies you guys found?

2 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

I wake up in a pretty severely depressed mood...sometimes it's no emotions, lot of times it's just intense depression, despair.

Once I get up and move around, eat, and exercise, it starts to fade away and by the end of the night I feel almost normal before going to sleep.

Problem is this is repeating itself every day and I often can not even get out of bed it's so bad.  

Any good strategies you guys found?

I wake up to the same thing.  I wish I knew how to keep it from happening in the first place, but I don't. 

Like you said, getting up and doing stuff is the only thing that makes it go away.  

• Thanks 1

If I'm not mistaken, this may be a sign of "melancholic depression," or "depression with melancholic features," which is a DSM-defined subtype of depression.

Melancholic features are defined in the DSM-V as:

A. One of the following is present during the most severe period of the current episode:

1. Loss of pleasure in all, or almost all, activities.
  2. Lack of reactivity to usually pleasurable stimuli (does not feel much better, even temporarily, when something good happens).

B. Three (or more) of the following:

1. A distinct quality of depressed mood characterized by profound despondency, despair, and/or moroseness or by so-called empty mood.
  2. Depression that is regularly worse in the morning.
  3. Early-morning awakening (i.e., at least 2 hours before usual awakening)
  4. Marked psychomotor agitation or retardation.
  5. Significant anorexia or weight loss.
  6. Excessive or inappropriate guilt.

Supposedly the tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are more effective than other classes of antidepressants at treating melancholic depression, so I've read. Which one you would need would depend primarily on your symptoms. For example, if you're primarily agitated and anxious along with depressed, you would probably do better with a tertiary amine like amitriptyline or imipramine; however, if you were primarily sluggish with psychomotor retardation you would probably do better with a secondary amine TCA like desipramine or nortriptyline.

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian. I try to get good rest, get up and shower, eat breakfast and then walk to the gym. Exercise helps a lot. Making plans to do fun things like concerts, sports events also helps. Believe it or not watching the Presidential funeral this morning focused my mind on a greater purpose and a life lived to the best of one’s abilities. Hope that you find some strategies that work for you.

• Thanks 1

I used to be a mess in the morning. Crying, anxious, depressed. I was fine once I got to work but getting there was such a battle. As the day progressed things got better. My doc suggested some klonopin at bedtime, 1-2 mg. Given Klonopins long half life I would still have a good level of Klonopin in me when I woke up. I don't find the need to take more Klonopin during the day. if something comes up my rescue benzo is Ativan. I rarely use it.

That solved the problem of the messy mornings. I don't have them anymore and mornings are pleasant again.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 4:14 PM, notloki said:

I used to be a mess in the morning. Crying, anxious, depressed. I was fine once I got to work but getting there was such a battle. As the day progressed things got better. My doc suggested some klonopin at bedtime, 1-2 mg. Given Klonopins long half life I would still have a good level of Klonopin in me when I woke up. I don't find the need to take more Klonopin during the day. if something comes up my rescue benzo is Ativan. I rarely use it.

That solved the problem of the messy mornings. I don't have them anymore and mornings are pleasant again.

I have Ativan, but I'm always reluctant to get back into benzos, but you're saying Klonopin knocked out your horrible mornings completely ?    I wonder if it's the buildup of cortisol that causes the horrible mornings.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:13 PM, mikl_pls said:

If I'm not mistaken, this may be a sign of "melancholic depression," or "depression with melancholic features," which is a DSM-defined subtype of depression.

Melancholic features are defined in the DSM-V as:

A. One of the following is present during the most severe period of the current episode:

1. Loss of pleasure in all, or almost all, activities.
  2. Lack of reactivity to usually pleasurable stimuli (does not feel much better, even temporarily, when something good happens).

B. Three (or more) of the following:

1. A distinct quality of depressed mood characterized by profound despondency, despair, and/or moroseness or by so-called empty mood.
  2. Depression that is regularly worse in the morning.
  3. Early-morning awakening (i.e., at least 2 hours before usual awakening)
  4. Marked psychomotor agitation or retardation.
  5. Significant anorexia or weight loss.
  6. Excessive or inappropriate guilt.

Supposedly the tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) are more effective than other classes of antidepressants at treating melancholic depression, so I've read. Which one you would need would depend primarily on your symptoms. For example, if you're primarily agitated and anxious along with depressed, you would probably do better with a tertiary amine like amitriptyline or imipramine; however, if you were primarily sluggish with psychomotor retardation you would probably do better with a secondary amine TCA like desipramine or nortriptyline.

It is Mikl, I have rather severe Melancholic Depression that's not being controlled by my current medications. :(

13 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

It is Mikl, I have rather severe Melancholic Depression that's not being controlled by my current medications. :(

Have you ever tried a TCA?

On 12/5/2018 at 3:32 PM, Nomadiclife said:

Hi Brian. I try to get good rest, get up and shower, eat breakfast and then walk to the gym. Exercise helps a lot. Making plans to do fun things like concerts, sports events also helps. Believe it or not watching the Presidential funeral this morning focused my mind on a greater purpose and a life lived to the best of one’s abilities. Hope that you find some strategies that work for you.

this is what i was gonna say, maybe get up, get a cup of coffee, get some excercise in. It helps, FORCE yourself to do it, kick start your day. See if it helps

Good advice guys, and I know you're right.

I guess sometimes I wake up and think "I'm never really going to achieve feeling great again"   You know how when you're in a depression, the best you can hope for is maybe feeling just a bit better, and only mildly depressed, it's not much of a goal, and that becomes depressing.