CrazyBoards.org

I have acid reflux (GERD).  I take medication for it (Pepcid at bedtime).  I do some dietary modifications to reduce acid.  (ex avoiding certain foods)

For those who have acid reflux, can you share some of your tactics for managing it?

Often the long acting formulations are easier on the GI, thus less acid. I can't take 2 grams of Metformin a day but I can if it is Metformin ER (Extended Release). Pills are the worst offenders in kicking up acid. Take what pills you can with food, it will buffer things. No food before bed. Zofran, as an adjunct, is your friend. Soda pop is not.

Taking Prilosec 20mg everyday has made my symptoms virtually go away. For me, I had to try all the different meds before finding one that worked. Kind of like psych meds 

I take Nexium or Prilosec. I also like Prevacid. They are all proton pump inhibitors Quite frankly, I consider them to be miracle meds because they work so well without side effects (for me).

I don't take those meds 365 days out of the year. I usually go a month on and a month or two off. For acute acid reflux I take baking soda. 1 level teaspoon in 1/2 glass of water is what works for me. It works immediately. You just have to be careful because baking soda has a LOT of sodium ... it's like drinking salt water. By the way, the taste is pretty awful so it's best to drink it quickly and try not to taste it.

A more expensive variant of baking soda is Alka Seltzer. It is basically baking soda with aspirin added and some fizzing agent.

If your problem is serious and chronic, then I think the Prilosec/Nexium/Prevacid route is best for you.

Now I'll give the usual statement that I'm no doctor and YMMV.

On 12/13/2018 at 8:52 PM, netsavy006 said:

For those who have acid reflux, can you share some of your tactics for managing it?

I get acid reflux occasionally.......What I do is simply eat a cup of low fat, plain yogurt, and problem solved.

May not work for everyone, but it's a simple home remedy that works for me.......Can't hurt to try it, anyway...

https://homeremediesforlife.com/yogurt-for-acid-reflux/

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I just got on prescription strength prilosec on Thursday - so far so good - I have TEMPORARILY made changes to my diet as I don't expect to eat/drink like this forever. But for some reason I don't understand, hot tea has been one of my irritants, iced tea also for that matter. I am not brave enough to try a soda yet. I don't lie down after eating and I make sure to drink my water after each bite or two of food, instead of one drink to 4 or 5 bites. 

There are some key side effects that were picked up post-market (after the drug was on the market). by the FDA. An increase in fractures (hip, wrist, and spine),  seems the PPI's Proton Pump Inhibitors are the cause. The data shows that patients at highest risk for fractures received high doses of prescription PPIs (higher than OTC PPI doses) and/or used a PPI for one year or more. This affects all PPI's but not a separate class of meds, H2 Blockers (such as Zantac, Tagamet, others)

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm

I do take an H2-blocker.  (Pepcid at bedtime).  I was seeking other advice from others in regards to supplementing taking the Pepcid.  Sorry I didn't make that clear in my OP.

1 hour ago, netsavy006 said:

I was seeking other advice from others in regards to supplementing taking the Pepcid. 

Alka Seltzer or baking soda will get you the most immediate relief.