CrazyBoards.org

CrazyRedhead

If government shutdown continues, Food Stamps and tax refunds could be affected

Posted (edited)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/millions-face-delayed-tax-refunds-cuts-to-food-aid-as-white-house-scrambles-to-deal-with-shutdown/2019/01/04/b5b58616-0fa3-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fe555499d111

If Trump continues his temper tantrum for "the wall", beyond January, food stamps would be affected.....Congress has not allocated any funds for the SNAP program beyond January. 2019.............Also, people who are expecting to get a tax refund this year, may not receive one until the government shutdown ends...

If this happens, it's going to get crazy, folks........Trump himself has stated he will never give in, and that "the shutdown could continue for months or years".........Trump simply doesn't care about all the folks that would be affected, not to mention those poor gov't workers who are currently going without their paychecks.

How far will this go?.......Trump has done enough damage....Can't wait for the Mueller Report to come in..

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/millions-face-delayed-tax-refunds-cuts-to-food-aid-as-white-house-scrambles-to-deal-with-shutdown/2019/01/04/b5b58616-0fa3-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fe555499d111

If Trump continues his temper tantrum for "the wall", beyond January, food stamps would be affected.....Congress has not allocated any funds for the SNAP program beyond January. 2019.............Also, people who are expecting to get a tax refund this year, may not receive one until the government shutdown ends...

If this happens, it's going to get crazy, folks........Trump himself has stated he will never give in, and that "the shutdown could continue for months or years".........Trump simply doesn't care about all the folks that would be affected, not to mention those poor gov't workers who are currently going without their paychecks.

How far will this go?.......Trump has done enough damage.....I hope the House is going to start impeachment proceedings, to be honest.

This country is so corrupted right now

There cannot be impeachment proceedings without clear evidence that Trump broke the law. That';s why everyone is awaiting the Mueller Report. If you start impeachment proceedings prematurely then they will be destined to fail and Trump will gain more strength having survived impeachment.

It's a damn shame that innocent people have to be caught up in this and, as usual, it's the poor and middle class who pay the price. That is the poor losing food stamps and middle class government workers losing their paychecks. A lot of people like to hate on government workers, but they are our friends and our neighbors because we a government of the people. Also, these government workers are non-partisans. Yet they are the first to pay the price when Congress and the President can't get along.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jt07 said:

There cannot be impeachment proceedings without clear evidence that Trump broke the law. That';s why everyone is awaiting the Mueller Report. If you start impeachment proceedings prematurely then they will be destined to fail and Trump will gain more strength having survived impeachment.

Good point.........Hope the Mueller Report comes soon......

16 minutes ago, jt07 said:

It's a damn shame that innocent people have to be caught up in this and, as usual, it's the poor and middle class who pay the price. That is the poor losing food stamps and middle class government workers losing their paychecks. A lot of people like to hate on government workers, but they are our friends and our neighbors because we a government of the people. Also, these government workers are non-partisans. Yet they are the first to pay the price when Congress and the President can't get along.

Also,  regarding the food stamps, there are a lot of poor people in the red states getting food stamps, who actually voted for Trump.........In fact, the percentage of people receiving food stamps is a lot higher in "red" states that Trump won in 2016.

Wonder what Trump supporters are going to think if their food stamps are cut off or reduced?

• Like 3

So upsetting ... we don't get food stamps anymore but we depend on our tax refund and SSI (not sure if SSI will be affected?). I feel terrible for all the government workers not getting paid, and their families. One man should not be allowed to hold the entire country hostage like this, we are supposed to have checks and balances.

• Like 2

my parking lot in my condo complex has been filled with cars during the day since the shutdown.  it's sad recognizing that while i'm there by choice/somewhat intentional circumstance, most of them are probably not. 

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)

SSI is self funded (Supplemental Security Income). SSDI (SS disability) is self funded. Medicaid and Medicare are self funded. We pay for these programs ourselves, they are taken out of our pay.  I had paid in over $100K to Social Security when I started getting SSDI checks. These self funded, user paid for benefits will continue through shutdowns.

Remember, the people who say Social Security is about to collapse ARE LYING TO YOU. Thank god we are paid electronically. 

Edited by notloki
bolding
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Juniper29 said:

So upsetting ... we don't get food stamps anymore but we depend on our tax refund and SSI (not sure if SSI will be affected?). 

Social Security benefits will still be paid during the shutdown.

SSI, SSDI, Medicare, and Medicaid will not be affected......But tax refunds could be frozen until the shutdown ends....90% of IRS employees have been furloughed until end of shutdown.....**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Nancy Pelosi was quoted somewhere (NYT?) as saying “we think he’s down to a beaded curtain now.”

i hope this thing ends really soon and I really hate that he is holding all the government workers hostage.  There’s a local news article about people being unable to afford medications soon (among other things) and that it literally could be life or death.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking about this whole situation, and it seems like Trump is really boxed in now.

If he signs a budget to re-open the gov't that doesn't include "wall" funding, he's going to really piss off his hard core supporters (about 30% of voters)......He relies heavily on this base of supporters.

If he holds out and keeps this shutdown going on for a long time, a lot of people are going to be angry about not getting their tax refunds.....Unpaid gov't workers are going to be angry about not getting their paychecks.....And people not getting their food stamps are going to be furious because of lack of food..........This will be disaster for the whole country, and voters won't forget it come 2020.

It seems to me that co-operating and reopening the gov would be the better option for him, but yet if he does it, his base will be up in arms, screaming for the wall.

So--In summary, he's dam*ed if he does, dam*ed if he doesn't............Poor little Trump.......

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CrazyRedhead said:

I've been thinking about this whole situation, and it seems like Trump is really boxed in now.

If he signs a budget to re-open the gov't that doesn't include "wall" funding, he's going to really piss off his hard core supporters (about 30% of voters)......He relies heavily on this base of supporters.

If he holds out and keeps this shutdown going on for a long time, a lot of people are going to be angry about not getting their tax refunds.....Unpaid gov't workers are going to be angry.....And people not getting their food stamps are going to be furious because of lack of food....

In summary, he's dam*ed if he does, dam*ed if he doesn't............Poor little Trump.......

Yeah, but so is Congress. People who hate democrats will not blame Trump but will blame Congress. I see it already and heavily on Facebook now.

I wish I could block these political people on FB but they are relatives. I hate to admit that but they are.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Yeah, but so is Congress. People who hate democrats will not blame Trump but will blame Congress. I see it already and heavily on Facebook now.

I wish I could block these political people on FB but they are relatives. I hate to admit that but they are.

Yes, there are some folks who will blame Congress.......

I hear you on the FB issue......I hardly ever log in anymore, and am thinking seriously about deleting my whole account.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

My husband is a government worker. No pay here for him, he is just a lowly middle class worker hurt by this disaster. Trump doesn’t care about families or couples like us. He cares about his ego.

We only are getting my tiny SSDI checks monthly for who knows how long. If this really and truly continues as long as Trump wants it to, we could lose our home (I think we would, I don’t think my SSDI pays for our home entirely monthly), we’d definitely lose our vehicles, I don’t want to think about how we could get groceries, we would have to move in with my in laws probably, we’d have to get a storage unit for our stuff, I wouldn’t be able to afford all my meds, etc etc etc. 

We are pretty scared. We are trying to stay positive. But Trump rattles off things like how this could last a year even. That’s scary. 

My husband barely was able to keep his days off around Christmas. Everyone was supposed to have their time off revoked. But he got lucky and just won’t get paid time off. Trump is the orange grinch who nearly stole Christmas. 

2 hours ago, CrazyRedhead said:

If he holds out and keeps this shutdown going on for a long time, a lot of people are going to be angry about not getting their tax refunds.....Unpaid gov't workers are going to be angry about not getting their paychecks.....And people not getting their food stamps are going to be furious because of lack of food..........This will be disaster for the whole country, and voters won't forget it come 2020.

It seems to me that co-operating and reopening the gov would be the better option for him, but yet if he does it, his base will be up in arms, screaming for the wall.

So--In summary, he's dam*ed if he does, dam*ed if he doesn't............Poor little Trump.......

• Sad 3

Quote from the fuckwad-in-chief: “I believe that the people that are on the receiving end will make adjustment, they always do”. 

Oh, but hey, he says “he can relate” to the federal workers that are being affected. Isn’t that comforting? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

We only are getting my tiny SSDI checks monthly for who knows how long. If this really and truly continues as long as Trump wants it to, we could lose our home (I think we would, I don’t think my SSDI pays for our home entirely monthly), we’d definitely lose our vehicles, I don’t want to think about how we could get groceries, we would have to move in with my in laws probably, we’d have to get a storage unit for our stuff, I wouldn’t be able to afford all my meds, etc etc etc. 

We are pretty scared. We are trying to stay positive. But Trump rattles off things like how this could last a year even. That’s scary. 

Cheese, if worst comes to worst, talk to your bank. They are pretty understanding when it comes to something you cannot control and what's not your fault. They might have you pay only the interest if they even will require that. Just talk to them. They want you to succeed because a foreclosure and resale costs a lot of money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here's the latest on the Trump shutdown.........Now he's talking about declaring a "national emergency" to get the wall built.

By doing this, he could completely go around Congressional approval...A president does have the power to do this, but he would have to really prove there's an actual emergency.

Of course, if he were to try this tactic, he would almost surely be challenged in federal court.....He would have to prove to a federal court that there really is an emergency...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/07/trump-national-emergency-wall-funding/2496357002/

IMO, Trump is a national embarrassment......We are now the laughing-stock of the entire world, even our allies are laughing at us....**SIGH**

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

My husband is a government worker. No pay here for him, he is just a lowly middle class worker hurt by this disaster. Trump doesn’t care about families or couples like us. He cares about his ego.

My husband barely was able to keep his days off around Christmas. Everyone was supposed to have their time off revoked. But he got lucky and just won’t get paid time off. Trump is the orange grinch who nearly stole Christmas. 

That's terrible, Cheese.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:22 PM, jt07 said:

Cheese, if worst comes to worst, talk to your bank. They are pretty understanding when it comes to something you cannot control and what's not your fault. They might have you pay only the interest if they even will require that. Just talk to them. They want you to succeed because a foreclosure and resale costs a lot of money.

Thanks for the info jt. That helps.