CrazyBoards.org

I just had Abilify 10 mg added to my Clomipramine, Klonopin, and Ativan. I took my first pill tonight.

Will the Abilify help me to think more clearly? My mind has been muddled with strange thoughts that got worse when I recently trialed Lexapro. To give an example, the tip of my thumb was burning and the thought that the devil was touching my thumb popped into my head. 

I’ve also been waking up deliriously confused and with hallucinations worse then normal. Recently I woke up and heard demonic grunting coming from our bedroom. I asked my boyfriend what he was doing and he replied casually that he was clipping his nails. I hallucinated that I got up to look and he was pulling his fingernails out 😱 Then when I became fully awake I realized he was at work. No one was even in the bedroom.

Hallucination sounds like a psychotic feature.

The strange thought may be what is called "intrusive thought".

Abilify helps me a lot with my intrusive thoughts and being an antipsychotic it should be good for psychosis obviously.

I'd say the answer is yes.

• Thanks 1

I'd say definitely give the Abilify a try. It most likely will help, and it can't hurt to try it. It sounds like to me from personal experience that you have some psychotic features.

Edited by mikl_pls
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, looking for answers said:

what are you taking the abilify for?

My diagnosis is unsure right now. It keeps going between SZA, MDD with Psychotic Fearures, and Bipolar Disorder.

6 hours ago, HydroCat said:

Hallucination sounds like a psychotic feature.

The strange thought may be what is called "intrusive thought".

Abilify helps me a lot with my intrusive thoughts and being an antipsychotic it should be good for psychosis obviously.

I'd say the answer is yes.

Are intrusive thoughts part of I OCD? I know for sure I’m formally diagnosed with that.

2 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I'd say definitely give the Abilify a try. It most likely will help, and it can't hurt to try it. It sounds like to me from personal experience that you have some psychotic features.

I agree. It scares me so much!! I don’t want to completely lose touch with reality.

In my opinion, abilify can be great for mood but not that great about psychosis. But we're all different. Have you tried risperidal/Invega? If I was a pdoc that would be my go to drug for psychosis :) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

In my opinion, abilify can be great for mood but not that great about psychosis. But we're all different. Have you tried risperidal/Invega? If I was a pdoc that would be my go to drug for psychosis :) 

Well, I took the Abilify last night and today I feel spaced out. Zonked. I don’t know if I want to continue taking it or any other antipsychotics. 

I have tried Risperdal years ago and got horrible akathisia...

I recommend that you give the Abilify a fair trial. The spaciness goes away in a few days. If you get nausea, that will go away in one week. I love Abilify. I don't notice any side effects at all at 30 mg.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, cakepop said:

Well, I took the Abilify last night and today I feel spaced out. Zonked. I don’t know if I want to continue taking it or any other antipsychotics. 

I don't know what your insurance covers but I'm starting rexulti right now (which is similar to abilify) and it's much cleaner than abilify in terms of side effects. But it's brand new so your policy might not cover it. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cakepop said:

As jt07 said, the spaciness and nausea etc will go away after a week or so. I did end up switching to taking my Abilify at night. I also take 10 mg ... it has been helpful to me both with mood and delusions.

• Thanks 1

Abilify controls my psychosis and helps with my mood quite a lot.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, CeremonyNewOrder said:

I don't know what your insurance covers but I'm starting rexulti right now (which is similar to abilify) and it's much cleaner than abilify in terms of side effects. But it's brand new so your policy might not cover it. 

I second thing notion to seek out the opinon of your psychiatrist and their feelings about giving Rexulti a try. If they’ve been visited by an Otuska pharma rep, then they should definitely have some samples and titration packs, or at the least a copay card. 

I was on Rexulti before at the max dose of 4mg and it made me extremely euthymic and stable. I would definitely talk to your doctor about giving Rexulti a try. You could look into a patient assistance program to pay for your it if you really want to try the medication. 

What insuance plan do you have, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m just looking for your pdl (preferred drug list) or what might be called your prescription plan formulary so we can see if your health insurance covers Rexulti