CrazyBoards.org

Is there anything similar to Remeron, minus the side effect of constant hunger?

I was prescribed 15mg, but I can only handle half a pill.  I like that it helps me sleep, and it is good for anxiety.  I just don't want to gain weight.  I'm already too big for my own good as it is.  Having trouble breathing when I stand up and on 15mg it gets worse.  

5 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Is there anything similar to Remeron, minus the side effect of constant hunger?

I was prescribed 15mg, but I can only handle half a pill.  I like that it helps me sleep, and it is good for anxiety.  I just don't want to gain weight.  I'm already too big for my own good as it is.  Having trouble breathing when I stand up and on 15mg it gets worse.  

I Wish that existed...but calming mood lift always seems to carry problems

• Thanks 1

Nothing in the US is close to it. Its stablemate, Mianserin, is not FDA approved.

Maybe a TCA of some sort, but I'm not sure if you can take a TCA with BP1.

Just now, argh said:

Nothing in the US is close to it. Its stablemate, Mianserin, is not FDA approved.

Maybe a TCA of some sort, but I'm not sure if you can take a TCA with BP1.

Most ssri I have tried just make me flip out, even trintellix did that to me.  Not sure why this happens. 

2 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Could u use an aap? 

That's a good question.  I don't really want to change from Vraylar at the moment, since it is working well.  

18 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Most ssri I have tried just make me flip out, even trintellix did that to me.  Not sure why this happens. 

That's a good question.  I don't really want to change from Vraylar at the moment, since it is working well.  

Ha yeah Vraylar was what I had in mind without even knowing u were on it 

Just now, Iceberg said:

Ha yeah Vraylar was what I had in mind without even knowing u were on it 

LOL it's a really good med so far.  

Low-dose doxepin (10-50 mg)? Low-dose trimipramine? (25-100 mg) (Not really TCAs, but rather antihistamines... Trimipramine has the advantage of acting like an antipsychotic...)

Low-dose trazodone (50-200 mg)?

Nefazodone?

• Thanks 1

I second low dose Trazodone. Remeron was the only medication that made me straight up fat. Trazodone has worked at 25mg-50mg for years, with no side effects. Give it a try.

• Thanks 1

Third vote for Trazodone....Been taking it for years now and no weight gain at all.

• Thanks 1

4th for trazodone. Works well, no next day sedation or hangover so long as I got the hours in that I need.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gb84 said:

Do you guys just take trazadone for sleep?  

Yeah. According to the covering pdoc that prescribed it to me, it’s a crap antidepressant but a great sleep med.

i don’t believe that 7.5mg of Remeron actually has any ad effects, though I suppose if you are petite or med sensitive, it might.

of meds that I have been prescribed for sleep in terms of “knock you the fuck out”

remeron >>>>>> trazodone >> gabapentin.

its gentle, not like Remeron that had me stumbling like I’m drunk and crashing into walls 30 minutes after a 15mg dose.

First time I tried Remeron 15 years ago it knocked me out in 15 minutes.  I had to crawl into bed.  Now it is just enough to get me to sleep in a couple hours.  Maybe because I have had gastric bypass meds work differently. 

What dosage of trazadone is working for you? 

1 minute ago, gb84 said:

First time I tried Remeron 15 years ago it knocked me out in 15 minutes.  I had to crawl into bed.  Now it is just enough to get me to sleep in a couple hours.  Maybe because I have had gastric bypass meds work differently. 

varies. if i can't get 7 hrs (due to schedule), i take 25mg. I find that to be very subtle and gentle in terms of sedation before sleep.

If i can get 7+, 50mg. That is a bit more heavy handed, but still nowhere near remeron.

If it's 5 hrs or less of sleep due to schedule, I don't take anything.

My core issue isn't falling asleep, it's staying asleep.

• Thanks 1

@gb84 just going to throw this out there because it doesn't seem to have been mentioned. 

As someone already said, mirtazapine is a structural analogue of mianserin, but most people don't realize that there is another structural analogue of mianserin available in the U.S. as an AAP: asenapine (Saphris)

In my experience with Saphris, it would make me ravenously hungry about 15-30 minutes after taking it, BUT any weight gain was dependent on my food intake. So I didn't really gain an appreciable amount of weight as long as I ignored the hunger. Additionally, I only felt the hunger shortly after taking it, but I was so sedated from it that I would force myself to go to bed before I had the chance to eat anything. The hunger didn't persist into the following day really.

To add, Saphris has some compelling evidence in its treatment of depressive symptoms in bipolar disorder even though it's only approved for manic/mixed episodes and maintenance.

I do see though that you are taking Vraylar sooooo might not be an option.

Edited by browri
ughhh homonyms

21 hours ago, gb84 said:

I take 200mg every night, but your doc would probably start you out much lower....

Typical starting dose is 25-50mg.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

I will ask for some trazadone.  Does remeron have any withdrawal?   I've been taking 7.5mg for about two weeks. 

1 minute ago, gb84 said:

I will ask for some trazadone.  Does remeron have any withdrawal?   I've been taking 7.5mg for about two weeks. 

I would recommend letting pdoc know you want to stop the Remeron.....Pdoc would be able to tell you if you need to taper or not.

• Like 1