CrazyBoards.org

So the wikipedia says this: 

" Hypomania is also a feature of bipolar I disorder; it arises in sequential procession as the mood disorder fluctuates between normal mood (euthymia) and mania. Some individuals with bipolar I disorder have hypomanic as well as manic episodes. Hypomania can also occur when moods progress downwards from a manic mood state to a normal mood. Hypomania is sometimes credited with increasing creativity and productive energy. "

I never realized this before. I had a hypomanic episode a few months ago, and now am going through another one. But I was confused because I thought only type II got hypomanic. I was wrong I guess. Anyway, it is funny because I don't have the bizarre ideas and racing thoughts, and I have been sleeping ok, but I am more talkative and outgoing than usual, a bit obnoxious, and slightly irritable if I don't catch myself. But the beauty of it is, I can catch it. I like this kind of mania, I don't get myself into trouble, I am just a better version of myself. Is that wrong to think of it that way?

Who else here has Bipolar I but continues to have hypomanic episodes, and why did mine just start in November and come back periodically, - will I get more or do you think it will escalate? It's been a week already...

I feel like this most of the year except for the late fall and winter months.  Once I can get back outside and get consistent exercise I am definitely in a controlled hypomanic state like you described.  I love the feeling, it feels like freedom, I feel like a human again. 

lithium has nicely regulated mania for me but I still get hypomanic breakthrough episodes for several days. Luckily I'm not completely out if it and can contact my pdoc.

If you can believe it, Lithium works well for me compared to Lamictal, but I still rapid cycle, at least 6-7 episodes a year, maybe more actually. I need to keep track. But Lamictal did nothing, at least Lithium is keeping me from going total psychotic. Except for the one time, that is... heh.

On January 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM, CeremonyNewOrder said:

Lamictal did nothing for me

I had best effect when I took them together 

I had an almost 2.5 year hypomanic episode while on lithium. My pdoc was ok with not raising lithium (at the time) because I used to have a history of getting off meds. He figured if I was taking it and controlled, it was ok. Then I had a manic episode.....which dropped to a depression which is where I am now.

But I liked the hypomania. Mania, I do not like.

I also had a similar hypomanic run -- maybe 2 or 3 years straight about a decade ago. But this was when I was not on lithium. It ended with a suicide attempt.

So I have them, but they spin out of control eventually.

Since we are on Lamictal -- it didn't do anything but make me extremely agitated.

I am newly diagnosed BP1 (like, 3 weeks ago today) and was wondering the same thing.  I had a mixed episode with psychosis and despite Abilify putting a firm end to the psychosis (Actually I think it was the Zyprexa at the hospital that did most of it) I feel like I’m kind of bouncing between “angry” hypo (hair trigger temper) and depression and maybe still kinda mixed.  So yeah, I was a little confused about whether BP1 experiences hypo or not but it sure seems like it.

First off,  by the time I got diagnosed I had pretty clearly been misdiagnosed for years, and no idea if I’d been manic or hypomanic except in retrospect. I was labeled bp1 because the symptoms were severe enough and lasted several months. Since then I have been hypomanic at times and other times like maybe now at the edge of even and hypomanic. I have no understanding of mixed states so can’t comment there. So yes I’m labeled bp1 but get hypo. If I never get fully manic again I will consider myself very lucky and very happy because that was pretty disruptive to my life. 

• Like 1

I am usually at a stable hypomanic state as a BP1.  I would think that's from lamictal considering it keeps me from ever being depressed, but it activates at the same time.

The problem for me with hypomanias is that they can progress rapidly into a full manic episode.  Everything is great and then suddenly I'm not sleeping at all and up all night working on a million projects, talking everyone's heads off constantly, not eating, but irritable and dysphoric.  That may last about a week or so until I start feeling like I'm being followed, I'm calling out of work because I don't think it's necessary for me to go to work because I have "greater things to do" and the universe is sending me messages.

So, for me, it's something I have to really watch out for.  By the time I'm becoming aware that things are getting out of hand, by the time I get on an antipsychotic, I'm way behind on treating an impending loss of reality, and then I have to spend a really long time trying to stabilize again.

Just be aware of your red flags.  Mine are most definitely not sleeping and flights of ideas and nonstop projects.  Y'know, the ones we never finish.

For me hypomania usually escalates to mania, but not always. I'm at the start of an upswing right now, actually. Hoping not to go too high!