CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Sam_I_Am

Ibuprofen Before Surgery for Intense Pain

I’m one week out from my (second) mastectomy with reconstruction for breast cancer.  (I am in remission, had a single mastectomy in Mar 2018 after 18 weeks of chemo,  but wasn’t allowed to have both breasts taken at the same time, just my surgeon’s protocol and due to the advanced stage of the cancer (stage 3).  

I have been having HORRENDOUS neck pain for the 10 days (stress induced and history of neck pain due to stress) as well as a severe headache for past two days (from starting Lamictal, which I was given permission to do so close to surgery).  Plus, I just started my period for the first time in two months, which means cramps are worse than usual.  General guidelines are that you are not *supposed* to take NSAIDS within 14 days before surgery (although my last surgeon said 7 days before surgery, for the original mastectomy, and he actually advised me to take ibuprofen right after surgery to limit dependency on opioids, whereas the new surgeon says no NSAIDS after for 14 days).  My question is, Tylenol doesn’t do anything at all for me— for the neck pain, headache, or cramps.... The ONLY thing that works for me OTC is ibuprofen (or Aleve but ibuprofen is better).

How bad is it to take ibuprofen close-ish to surgery.... because I already have take it within the 14 day window and intend to still take it.  I can’t tolerate this pain and be functional for the next week without something.  (The cramps will go away in a couple days, but not sure about the headache or neck pain.  I’m also using my klonopin that’s really intended for anxiety to help neck pain in addition to using my medical marijuana and non-pharmacological techniques— ice/cold therapy, stretching, got a massage, self-massage, warm baths).  I’m young, healthy (other than Hx of breast cancer at a freakishly young age), and have no bleeding disorder or other medical conditions.  Will they deny my surgery for taking ibuprofen a few days prior?

16 minutes ago, Sam_I_Am said:

I’m one week out from my (second) mastectomy with reconstruction for breast cancer.  (I am in remission, had a single mastectomy in Mar 2018 after 18 weeks of chemo,  but wasn’t allowed to have both breasts taken at the same time, just my surgeon’s protocol and due to the advanced stage of the cancer (stage 3).  

I have been having HORRENDOUS neck pain for the 10 days (stress induced and history of neck pain due to stress) as well as a severe headache for past two days (from starting Lamictal, which I was given permission to do so close to surgery).  Plus, I just started my period for the first time in two months, which means cramps are worse than usual.  General guidelines are that you are not *supposed* to take NSAIDS within 14 days before surgery (although my last surgeon said 7 days before surgery, for the original mastectomy, and he actually advised me to take ibuprofen right after surgery to limit dependency on opioids, whereas the new surgeon says no NSAIDS after for 14 days).  My question is, Tylenol doesn’t do anything at all for me— for the neck pain, headache, or cramps.... The ONLY thing that works for me OTC is ibuprofen (or Aleve but ibuprofen is better).

How bad is it to take ibuprofen close-ish to surgery.... because I already have take it within the 14 day window and intend to still take it.  I can’t tolerate this pain and be functional for the next week without something.  (The cramps will go away in a couple days, but not sure about the headache or neck pain.  I’m also using my klonopin that’s really intended for anxiety to help neck pain in addition to using my medical marijuana and non-pharmacological techniques— ice/cold therapy, stretching, got a massage, self-massage, warm baths).  I’m young, healthy (other than Hx of breast cancer at a freakishly young age), and have no bleeding disorder or other medical conditions.  Will they deny my surgery for taking ibuprofen a few days prior?

I think the only option is to call the doc office ASAP. You don't want to mess up the whole process and then have to redo later 

Edited by Iceberg
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I think the only option is to call the doc office ASAP. You don't want to mess up the whole process and then have to redo later 

Thanks. I put in a call to the on-call doctor at the surgeon office. I can’t wait until tomorrow for a response. If they say no, I will probably take it anyway though unfortunately. What other alternative is there?

The oncall surgeon said it’s ok to take the ibuprofen, that it’s more important that I can function and that bleeding risk is small. My surgery won’t  be delayed. I probably need something else, like a muscle relaxer for my neck, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it

Edited by Sam_I_Am

21 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Glad they got back so fast, good luck with everything 

Thanks Iceberg. I also saw my PCP today and got a short term script for robaxin. Hopefully that will help