CrazyBoards.org

I tried it for 3 days and had real jerky sleep, woke up a lot. Tried to benzo that away to no avail, and I really tried. I layed off it day 4, no Insomnia on normal sleep meds. Anyone had any experience here ? I take it in the AM. I'll retest once I am sure my sleep is back to baseline.

Edited by notloki
wrong med

What's your dosage?

2 hours ago, notloki said:

1g in AM.

Are they 1 g or 500 mg capsules?

2 hours ago, notloki said:

500 mg

Obviously I would say that maybe you could try starting with just 500 mg in the morning at first until you adjust to it (when you start it back again).

Also, I did a little researching, and apparently carnitine (in any form) is "methyl conserving"; i.e., it requires a lot of methylation to be made in your body, and by taking it directly, your body doesn't have to use as much methyl donors.

So it could be that your genetics are such that you already have high basal level of methyl donors (MTHFR gene, VDR gene, COMT gene, etc.), and that by adding ALCAR to your regimen, your body isn't burning off these excess methyl donors as much as it normally would, causing an increase in dopamine and norepinephrine (and I think serotonin too?), which could result in a number of side effects, including but not limited to insomnia. That's just my theory anyway. I understand very little about the methylation cycle.

Niacin and lysine are "methyl burners," but only in the range of several grams at a time...

Either that or you could be very sensitive to the pharmacodynamics of ALCAR, which I understand very poorly as well.

I hope you're able to continue taking it because ALCAR is so great after you take it for a little while!

Edited by mikl_pls