CrazyBoards.org

dancesintherain

short term thorazine or haldol usage?

Hi all,

I've been dealing with some nasty insomnia for the past month or two or so.  It's gotten particularly worse recently.  My psychiatrist and I definitely intend to find the root cause (if it started in response to a med change), but I'm looking at the interim.

Anyone have experiences (good or bad) using thorazine or haldol as an intermediate "knock me the fuck out" medication?  I'm literally just looking for something that will hit me over the head like a sledgehammer.

Definitely Thorazine.

Low doses (25-50 mg) can hit you pretty hard, but my pdoc prescribed me 100 mg once for sleep and it knocked me on my ass like nothing else has. I eventually got used to it though. Weight gain isn't really an issue either at these doses. I experienced an acute dystonic reaction the first time I took it, but never again the rest of the times I took it.

Haldol isn't really useful for sleep for me unless I combine it with a good dose of a benzo, and the Haldol needs to be a considerable amount, too (enough to where an acute dystonic reaction is within the realm of possibility...)

Edited by mikl_pls

Thorazine. All the way. 50mg worked very well but it was always in combo with I think valium. Had to drop Valium so bumped to 100...lights out 

I was on Thorazine before and would take it as needed for episodes of rage. It knocked me on my ass. Could not keep my eyes open or even lift my body up once it kicked in.

great thank you.  normally knocked straight my ass is not what I'd be going for, but I took my night-time meds almost 7 hours ago and I'm having to focus hard when talking or typing, but otherwise awake.  And it's been that bad since Friday.  I'll see if my pdoc can call in something as a temporary fix.

Haldol never knocked me out sleep wise. I think your best bet is the other one, as the others have stated. Good luck dances!

Haldol kept me up from akathisia. I don't recall thorazine completely knocking me out (then again its rare any medication knocks me out besides clozapine) but I think it made me drowsy.