CrazyBoards.org
echolocation

cardiazol, the precursor to ECT (journal article)

hey everyone! i'm currently writing a paper about how cultural influences have affected the accessibility and development of ECT for one of my classes. it's not a thesis or anything huge like that, just a 3500 word essay, but i've been finding some interesting journals while doing research for it.

this one is about the use of cardiazol, a heart stimulant drug used in the 1930s to induce seizures in patients with severe mental illness, administered by injection. it was discontinued shortly after ECT appeared in 1938, because it was far more dangerous to the patient than ECT was at the time. one (among many) of the reasons psychiatrists were looking for a replacement for cardiazol therapy was a horrible side effect the drug had where the patient would experience petrifying fear just before the seizure began, making the experienceĀ quite traumatic as a round of treatment could have 20 or more separateĀ injections. in addition, the seizures were so violent that many patients suffered spinal fractures.

if you likeĀ history of psychiatric treatments, it's a cool article.Ā it's not too jargon-y and pretty readable if your concentration is okay. the paragraphs are on the dense side, particularly in the beginning. it's 20 pages long. it's not particularly graphic, but if you're sensitive to mistreatment of psych patients, maybe skip it.

here's a link to a PDF of the article!Ā https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00570852/document

Edited by echolocation
clarity

That history stuff can be super interesting. I had to do one about how Thorazine changed the playing field for mental health and it was easy to write cuz it was generally interestingĀ 

that sounds super interesting! it's so much easier to do an assignment when the subject is something you have a genuine interest in.