CrazyBoards.org

confused

What to do when asked to be alone with client?

I will ask my boss, but I want an idea of what people do.

i work at a residential mental health facility.  My co worker told me when I started  not to be alone with residents, especially opposite sex.  I have been adhering to that.

yesterday, a man asked to talk to me privately, outside.  I asjked him if he would rather talk to my male co worker and he did.  Today, a nurse asked me if I could take a male resident outside, because  everyone else was too busy.  I took him out and we talked. It wss fine.

i am not sure what to do in the future. It is not just a safety issue, but i have no witness if they claim something happened.

4 hours ago, confused said:

I will ask my boss, but I want an idea of what people do.

i work at a residential mental health facility.  My co worker told me when I started  not to be alone with residents, especially opposite sex.  I have been adhering to that.

yesterday, a man asked to talk to me privately, outside.  I asjked him if he would rather talk to my male co worker and he did.  Today, a nurse asked me if I could take a male resident outside, because  everyone else was too busy.  I took him out and we talked. It wss fine.

i am not sure what to do in the future. It is not just a safety issue, but i have no witness if they claim something happened.

i would consult your boss. See what company policy is and tell them your concerns. Better safe than sorry

I understand your concerns, confused, and they are valid ones. I think this is something that you are going to have to discuss with your boss to find out what is expected of you. However, if I were uncomfortable with what they were asking me to do, I'd certainly protest.

In my setting we assess risk on a person by person basis, so you might choose not to be alone with someone if you think there is more risk of them making an allegation or being violent. Also documentation is a really big deal, like if there is any inappropriate behaviour or anything concerning, or if the client makes a statement about making an allegation or anything like that, to document it in detail including your response. But knowing the policy of your organization is key to being protected as well. It also depends on your level of training - it is fair for example for a peer support worker to have a different comfort level than a nurse or for someone who has been in the field for 20 years to feel different from someone just starting. 

Edited by tryp

Thanks.  I asked and it s okay but up to my discretion.  

Thanks everyone

• Like 1