CrazyBoards.org

So I've been on seroquel between 50mg and 100mg for about two or three months.  I'd previously just needed Ativan to get to sleep.  Because of some movement-related side effects that we think are due to the seroquel, I have to go off of it.  We debated various sleep medications, but nothing stood out immediately, so we decided to temporarily try it with just ativan (possibly at a slightly increased dose). 

She gave me a few different options for getting off of it.  Because I'd been rotating between 50mg and 100mg, I figured I could go pretty quickly.  We decided on 100mg/75mg/50mg/25mg/off.  One day at each.  She gave me permission to tweak it as needed. 

I'm getting some of the positive changes from being off Seroquel that we were hoping for--I had been sleeping 10-11 hours per  night and because of how much I wake up during the night, that had meant going to bed around 9:30, falling asleep around 10, and waking up around 10. 

But...when I cut it back to 50mg last night, it took me 2.5 hours to fall asleep.  I do good sleep hygiene, my sleep study was fine. 

Any guesses at whether this is rebound insomnia from going off the seroquel that will progressively go away versus the actual issue resurfacing?

3 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Any guesses at whether this is rebound insomnia from going off the seroquel that will progressively go away versus the actual issue resurfacing?

IMO, there's really no way to know until you're off the Seroquel completely.......Seroquel has a fairly short half-life, so it shouldn't take too long to leave your system after last dose.

After you've been off it for awhile, if you still have sleep issues, it could be the root issue resurfacing.

I know my situation is somewhat different than yours, but when I had to quit Seroquel (weight gain), I had to go directly onto another sleep med (Trazodone), because I couldn't sleep at all without the Seroquel...

Edited by CrazyRedhead

thanks, good to know.  Trazadone's one that isn't a good fit for me (it caused my blood pressure to drop at night and gave me a panic attack in the morning), but the same point still holds.  My pdoc is seeing me 3/11 (she's keeping the reins tight), so if things aren't good by then, she and I can redebate the issue of what drug.  I'm worried she's going to do a larger scale change because she's worried about AADs and doesn't like multiple AAPs (though I've tried most of the sedating ones of that).

1 hour ago, dancesintherain said:

thanks, good to know.  Trazadone's one that isn't a good fit for me (it caused my blood pressure to drop at night and gave me a panic attack in the morning)

Hmmm.......My blood pressure is on the low side of normal (about 100/60), whenever I have a morning doc appt, but if I have a mid-day or afternoon appt, it's  a little higher, maybe 115/70.......That doesn't really seem to concern my pdoc, though.......Maybe Traz is the cause for my lower BP.......However, it has never caused me a panic attack........

As for other sleep aid options, I see you've tried Ambien.......Lunesta might be an option,  also maybe Belsomra might be worth a try........Just throwing those out there, because I can see you've already tried a lot of things.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

thanks, I appreciate the ideas.  Is Lunesta another Z-drug or is it a different class?  I'm not allowed to touch the Z-drugs because of my reaction to Ambien (I literally held a tea party with my dog in my sleep, in addition to sleep-talking, sleep-arguing, sleep-walking, sleep-eating, etc.).  I think there's a shot that it's not though?

Belsomra unfortunately won't work because melatonin makes me depressed.  Or at least, it's not likely to work.  I'm kind of at the "maybe it's worth a shot" point if this doesn't go away. 

Thanks for the ideas--sorry, I don't mean to just be shooting things down.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

thanks, I appreciate the ideas.  Is Lunesta another Z-drug or is it a different class?  I'm not allowed to touch the Z-drugs because of my reaction to Ambien (I literally held a tea party with my dog in my sleep, in addition to sleep-talking, sleep-arguing, sleep-walking, sleep-eating, etc.).  I think there's a shot that it's not though?

Belsomra unfortunately won't work because melatonin makes me depressed.  Or at least, it's not likely to work.  I'm kind of at the "maybe it's worth a shot" point if this doesn't go away. 

Thanks for the ideas--sorry, I don't mean to just be shooting things down.

Yes, Lunesta is considered a z-drug, so I guess that's off the table.

Belsomra doesn't affect melatonin......Maybe you're thinking of Rozerem, which does affect melatonin?

Belsomra also is not a z-drug--it works completely differently...

Edited by CrazyRedhead

@dancesintherain - can I ask what kind of movement issues you had with seroquel? I take 25mg at night right now, but have the freedom to play around with dosages or the XR version . Did you notice any weight gain? I noticed I was craving sweets a lot and was super tired. I’m taking buspar as an add on and I’m hoping it’s the missing piece to my cocktail. Have you tried restoril for sleep? 

hello,

the movement problems are with my mouth.  my left side was chattering and I was occasionally clenching my teeth.  not good.

I've lost 11 pounds over the past 2.5 months.  It wasn't easy, but it was feasible.

I haven't tried restoril.  I'd forgotten about it.  I currently take 2mg ativan, which I doubt my pdoc would add on to, but I could see about changing.  thanks!

8 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

So I've been on seroquel between 50mg and 100mg for about two or three months.  I'd previously just needed Ativan to get to sleep.  Because of some movement-related side effects that we think are due to the seroquel, I have to go off of it.  We debated various sleep medications, but nothing stood out immediately, so we decided to temporarily try it with just ativan (possibly at a slightly increased dose). 

She gave me a few different options for getting off of it.  Because I'd been rotating between 50mg and 100mg, I figured I could go pretty quickly.  We decided on 100mg/75mg/50mg/25mg/off.  One day at each.  She gave me permission to tweak it as needed. 

I'm getting some of the positive changes from being off Seroquel that we were hoping for--I had been sleeping 10-11 hours per  night and because of how much I wake up during the night, that had meant going to bed around 9:30, falling asleep around 10, and waking up around 10. 

But...when I cut it back to 50mg last night, it took me 2.5 hours to fall asleep.  I do good sleep hygiene, my sleep study was fine. 

Is the idea to not stick with benzos long term? Cuz there are other benzo options that might be better than the Ativan. 

I've been on ativan for years as an antianxiolytic...it only recently started taking dual purposes of helping with sleep.  I'm curious if she'd swap benzos for me.  That might be the easiest attempt, because I can pretty easily change back.  Which are good?

(My + antecdotal experience )

depends on what you need to treat

sleep induction: I prefer halcion but that's deep in the bag (or not at all) of tricks for many pdoc. Xanax works too sometimes.

valium is kind of in between, had success with it in combo with zyprexa or by itself at higher dose 

klonipin, restoril are good for sleep maintaince, flurazepam too but again think that's lesser known by some pdocs. I've had very good luck with halcion for cutting Down how long it takes me to fall asleep 

now that you've mentioned it, I've taken halcion before (different pdoc).  we only stopped it because I didn't need anything to help with sleep anymore.

I'll keep the others in mind. I think mine is more initiation, but I haven't been without something that would help with maintenance for a while, so I don't really have a baseline for that.

thanks!

21 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

now that you've mentioned it, I've taken halcion before (different pdoc).  we only stopped it because I didn't need anything to help with sleep anymore.

I'll keep the others in mind. I think mine is more initiation, but I haven't been without something that would help with maintenance for a while, so I don't really have a baseline for that.

thanks!

Could you just mention maybe restarting the halcion if it worked? 

thanks, good to know.  I'm crossing my fingers that this is a temporary problem because I fell asleep in a little over an hour last night and I slept for about 9 hours.  Progress.  I'm still nervous though

• Like 1

last night was a disaster.  I gave in and took 25mg because it had been four hours.  Fell asleep within 15 minutes.

I have to be able to get off this drug.