CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
PSmith4630

Seem to be in remission with Brainsway deep TMS

I'm in my last couple weeks of Brainsway.  My diagnosis is Bipolar II so the pdoc there recommended that I take Rexulti to keep me from going hypomanic.  Aside from that I'm still on Zoloft and Trazodone for sleep.  The pdoc recommends that I not change anything medication wise for about a year, which is a bummer since I was looking forward to coming off the Zoloft because it put a lot of weight on me.  But I've come this far I'm not about to screw it up now, if she wants me to leave the medication as is I'll live with it.  

I got a little bit of a scare lately though.  So lately when my old way of thinking and attitudes would pop up, something would happen that I'd compare to a switch coming on, and just shutting that down.  Well over the last several days that wasn't happening, and Thursday morning I felt like my old self again, and not in a good way!  Depressed, irritable, I was miserable.  Then after I was at work about an hour to an hour & a half, I felt a little twinge of pain on the left side of my head, and it was like the switch came back on.  I felt fantastic. 

I'm getting tapered off of my Brainsway treatments but I had one scheduled that night and I told the technician what happened.  She said people have had reported similar experiences, maybe not of a switch coming on but of feeling like they were slipping back to their old selves again.  She said people call her in a panic saying that the treatment didn't work for them because they're depressed again.  But like she's been telling me all along, it's a process and it's not all going to happen at once.  Since then I've felt good, maybe not fantastic like when that "switch" came back on, but my attacks of negativity are few and far between.  That experience did show me how far I've come.  I honestly don't know how I lived as long as I did feeling like I did that Thursday morning.  

I don't know if this therapy will do for you what it did for me, I can only give my experience.  But if you're like me and you've tried several antidepressants AND talk therapy without getting results, I'd say give it a shot.  It's been a life saver for me.

• Like 1

It's always good to hear a positive outcome. Thanks for posting.

I'd say the Rexulti might also be playing a role because many people find it fantastic against depression when combined with an antidepressant. I think your doctor is wise not to mess with your meds.

1 minute ago, jt07 said:

It's always good to hear a positive outcome. Thanks for posting.

I'd say the Rexulti might also be playing a role because many people find it fantastic against depression when combined with an antidepressant. I think your doctor is wise not to mess with your meds.

Yeah the one thing I hate about that is not knowing if it's the TMS that's caused the improvement or the Rexulti or both.  Because if it was just a change in medication that I needed I could have done that years ago, and not wasted so much of my life feeling like crap (I'll turn 46 in June).  But both the pdoc and the TMS technician said that the TMS makes medication work better so it's most likely both, and the technician said I can only control right now, not to worry about what if this or that.

Remission means you have not had symptoms for 6 months, not a few weeks, according to the DSM.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, notloki said:

Remission means you have not had symptoms for 6 months, not a few weeks, according to the DSM.

Okay well, whatever you want to call it it's a real improvement LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PSmith4630 said:

Okay well, whatever you want to call it it's a real improvement LOL

Congratulations. I hope you have a good recovery.  

• Thanks 1