Prior medications (with dose range):
- amitriptyline (Elavil) 25 mg: primarily used for sleep, not very effective
- amoxapine (Asendin) 50-100 mg: partial response
- clomipramine (Anafranil) 50-225 mg: horrible response, worsened depression, severe side effects
- desipramine (Norpramin) 25-200 mg: worked great as an adjunct but not too well by itself (even in high doses)
- desvenlafaxine succinate ER (Pristiq) 50-150 mg: generic Pristiq did absolutely nothing for me, even at the supratherapeutic dose of 150 mg
- doxepin (Sinequan) 10-75 mg: used primarily for sleep, worked a little too well... too long into the next day (next day hangover)
- duloxetine (Cymbalta) 30-120 mg: works great at high doses (120 mg), but my pdoc doesn't like me to be on that dose, and it keeps pooping out anyway, but I keep revisiting it
- Emsam (selegiline transdermal system) 6-9 mg/24 hr: Didn't really do much at all. My pdoc refused to go above 9 mg/24 hr, so I feel I wasn't allowed to give the medicine a proper trial.
- Fetzima (levomilnacipran) 40 mg: Made me feel awful, dysphoric, crying, withdrawal effects halfway through the day...
- fluoxetine (Prozac) 20-80 mg: Works okay, but isn't quite strong enough.
- fluvoxamine (Luvox) 100 mg: This may as well have been me dropping acid... Hallucinations (visual, auditory, etc.) and kept me in a complete trance-like daze for the entire time I took it.
- Forfivo XL (bupropion XL) 450 mg: worked extremely well, but caused extreme and intolerable nausea
- imipramine (Tofranil) 25-50 mg: nightmares, hyperhidrosis, depression exacerbation, anxiety exacerbation (probably not dosed high enough)
- Lexapro (escitalopram) 10 mg (brand name): Took this back in high school before we knew I was bipolar; psychosis, rapid cycling between mania and depression, disinhibited behavior (probably part of mania)
- Marplan (isocarboxazid) 40 mg: worked okay for a very short time, then pooped out and it was extremely expensive... even with copay coupon ($200+ per month)
- mirtazapine (Remeron) 30-45 mg: 30 mg was rather innocuous except for inducing binge eating, but it did help me sleep. 45 mg made me suicidal, feel and look miserable, and feel generally awful.
- nefazodone (Serzone) 200 mg/day: Didn't really do anything, but didn't really take for long, so I can't really say for sure that it didn't do anything.
- Pristiq (desvenlafaxine succinate) 50-100 mg (Name brand): No response, if anything, worsened depression
- nortriptyline (Pamelor) 50 mg: meh, kinda worked a little... I had to increase the dose to 150 mg to get any benefit
- protriptyline (Vivactil) 30 mg: very stimulating in a good way, very good antidepressant, but caused urinary retention after a while of taking it
- sertraline (Zoloft) 100-200 mg: Probably the best SSRI I've ever taken. It works extremely well but poops out after a while. I can come back to it later and it will work again and poop out again, cycle repeats.
- tranylcypromine (Parnate) 20-40 mg: Hands down best antidepressant I've ever taken, but in combo with a stimulant only. At 40 mg, my pdoc took away Adderall and I crashed through the floor. Also, it caused me extreme weight gain which is paradoxical.
- trimipramine (Surmontil) 25-75 mg: didn't help so much with depression as it did with sleep. Excellent for sleep.
- Trintellix (vortioxetine) 10-20 mg: probably one of the worst antidepressants I've ever taken. Worsened depression, anxiety, etc., extreme nausea
- venlafaxine XR (Effexor XR) 37.5-825 mg: took at heroic dose because of lack of efficacy and rapid poop out at next dose. I decided it wasn't worth it to keep increasing the dose to toxic levels. But it worked great while it worked (a week at a time after each dose increase).
- Viibryd (vilazodone) 20-40 mg: This one is one I keep revisiting because of how well it works. It just works for a very short time. I've considered taking 60-80 mg as my pdoc suggested once, but I don't know how my insurance would react to that.
- Adderall XR (amphetamine salts XR) (brand name) 30-90 mg: second best stimulant to dextroamphetamine for me
- Adzenys XR-ODT (amphetamine XR-ODT) 12.5 mg: no benefit at all
- amphetamine salts (Adderall) 20-60 mg: decent stimulant, third best stimulant I'd say
- armodafinil (Nuvigil) 200 mg: no benefit
- atomoxetine (Strattera) (generic) 80 mg: relapsed severely into psychotic depression when I was switched to generic from brand-name
- dexmethylphenidate (Focalin) 5 mg (taken with Focalin XR): no benefit, anxiogenic
- dexmethylphenidate XR (Focalin XR) 20 mg (taken with Focalin): no benefit, anxiogenic
- dextroamphetamine ER (Dexedrine Spansule) 15-45 mg: best stimulant for me, but I think I prefer instant release
- dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine/Destrostat) 10 mg 2 tid (60 mg): best stimulant by far
- Evekeo (amphetamine sulfate) 20 mg: no real benefit, but probably under-dosed, would like to try at higher dose
- methamphetamine (Desoxyn) 5-15 mg: bad news for me! very dysphoric and doesn't help ADHD or idiopathic hypersomnia at all
- methylphenidate (Ritalin) 30 mg: no benefit or effect
- methylphenidate CD (Metadate CD) 20 mg: some benefit/effect but pdoc wouldn't prescribe any higher of a dose, so I think I was under-dosed
- modafinil (Provigil) 400 mg: no benefit
- Nuvigil (armodafinil) (brand name) 250 mg: very helpful for dissociation and EDS, with an added benefit of weight loss to boot
- Strattera (atomoxetine) (brand name) 25-60 mg: very helpful as an adjunct for depression and ADHD, but unfortunately the generic form is crap
- Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) 50-70 mg: somewhat helpful, but can't get high enough dose prescribed to match my current dose of Dexedrine/Dextrostat
- Neupro (rotigotine transdermal system) 4 mg: works okay for tremor and depression but I'm apparently allergic to something in the patch (probably the adhesive) as it makes my skin red and itchy
- pramipexole (Mirapex) 2.25 mg: compulsive eating
- ropinirole (Requip) 0.25 mg: compulsive shopping/eating
- aripiprazole (Abilify) 2-30 mg: wonder drug for depression and mood stabilization, but eventually caused compulsive shopping/buying
- Latuda (lurasidone) 40-80 mg: first AAP, worked great for about a year then suddenly had akathisia, tried multiple times, became less effective each time, would like to revisit
- olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5-10 mg prn: used as needed for mania and depression or sleep sometimes
- Rexulti (brexpiprazole) 0.25-3 mg: very dysphoric and depressogenic
- Saphris (asenapine) 5-10 mg: wonderful for sleep and anxiety, but becomes depressogenic after a while of taking it
- ziprasidone (Geodon) 40-120 mg: great at higher doses but is a little sedating, not very useful in lower doses
- chlorpromazine (Thorazine) 25-100 mg
- fluphenazine (Prolixin) 1-5 mg
- haloperidol (Haldol) 0.5-5 mg
- loxapine (Loxitane) 5-10 mg
- pimozide (Orap) 4 mg
- perphenazine (Trilafon) 4 mg
- prochlorperazine (Compazine) 5-10 mg
- thiothixene (Navane) 2 mg
- trifluoperazine (Stelazine) 6 mg
- carbamazepine (Tegretol) 200 mg
- divalproex sodium ER (Depakote ER) 500 mg
- gabapentin (Neurontin) 300-900 mg
- lamotrigine (Lamictal) 25-400 mg
- lamotrigine XR (Lamictal XR) 50-400 mg
- topiramate (Topamax) 50-400 mg
- topiramate XR (Qudexy XR) 150 mg
- Trokendi XR (topiramate XR) 25-100 mg
- lithium carbonate (Eskalith) 300 mg
- zonisamide (Zonegran) 25-400 mg
- alprazolam XR (Xanax XR) 1-2 mg: not very impressive of a benzo, not very effective
- alprazolam ODT (Niravam) 2 mg: the best form of alprazolam!
- clonazepam (Klonopin) 1 mg bid + 1 prn: very sedating and depressogenic
- clorazepate (Tranxene T-Tab) 15 mg tid: moderately effective, not very sedating
- chlordiazepoxide 25 mg bid-qid (50-100 mg): moderately effective, somewhat sedating
- diazepam (Valium) 2 mg qid/5 mg tid/10 mg tid prn: very effective at low doses, sedating at high doses
- estazolam (ProSom) 2 mg: no benefit
- lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5-1 mg tid prn: no benefit, extremely amnestic
- oxazepam (Serax) 10-30 mg qd-tid prn: second best benzo to alprazolam for me, works very well for anxiety associated with depression and in tandem with trifluoperazine (Stelazine) for anxiety
- temazepam (Restoril) 15-30 mg qhs prn: kinda okay for insomnia
- eszopiclone (Lunesta) 3 mg qhs prn: absolutely zero effect whatsoever, completely useless (notloki has advocated for going up to 6 mg though, but my insurance would never cover that)
- zaleplon (Sonata) 10 mg qhs prn: beneficial, but doesn't work long enough
- zolpidem (Ambien) 10 mg qhs prn: no benefit
- zolpidem CR (Ambien CR) 12.5 mg qhs prn: no benefit
- Zolpimist (zolpidem oral spray) 10 mg qhs prn: better than regular zolpidem, but tastes horrible (deterrent for abuse probably)
- atenolol (Tenormin) 50 mg: no benefit
- acebutolol (Sectral) 400 mg: worsened tremor
- metoprolol succinate (Toprol-XL): profound hypotension and bradycardia
- nadolol (Corgard) 20 mg: worked wonders for tremor and even shy bladder but caused severe bradycardia
- pindolol (Visken) 5 mg: helped a little for depression and anxiety, but caused bradycardia
- propranolol (Inderal) 20-40 mg: works well for tremor but I prefer the LA version
- propranolol LA (Inderal LA) 120-160 mg: at these doses, hypotension and bradycardia
- Belsomra (suvorexant) 20 mg qhs prn
- hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax) 25 mg q6h prn
- hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) 50 mg bid prn
- Rozerem (ramelteon) 8 mg qhs prn
- carbidopa/levodopa (Sinemet) 25 mg/100 mg tid
- Rytary (carbidopa/levodopa IR/ER) 23.75 mg/95 mg tid
- Belviq XR (lorcaserin XR) 20 mg qam: nothing spectacular... very expensive even with coupon, insurance won't cover
- Contrave (naltrexone/bupropion SR) 8 mg/90 mg 2 bid: no results whatsoever
- diethylpropion (Tenuate) 25 mg tid: worked pretty decently, not as well as phentermine
- diethylpropion ER (Tenuate Dospan) 75 mg qam: for some reason, this didn't do a single thing for me
- naltrexone (ReVia) 50-200 mg: actually caused weight gain
- phendimetrazine (Bontril-PDM) 35 mg 1-2 tid (105-210 mg): not much benefit, actually caused me to feel pretty awful at 210 mg/day (probably withdrawal from Dexedrine though...)
- phentermine (Adipex-P) 37.5 mg qam: probably the best anorectic available that I've tried (never tried benzphetamine before)
- liothyronine (Cytomel) 25-50 mcg: a wonder drug for depression, but I think it screwed up my thyroid big time...
- WP Thyroid ¼-¾ grain: much better than levothyroxine, but a little pricey.
- Deplin (L-methylfolate Ca) 15 mg qam
- L-methylfolate Ca 15 mg qam
- amantadine (Symetrel) 100 mg bid (200 mg): caused me to feel extremely sedated and stimulated at the same time, profound fatigue, lack of motivation to do anything, yet very restless. Generally an extremely unpleasant experience, which is unfortunate considering the potential benefits it could've had.
- memantine (Namenda) 5 bid-10 mg bid-tid: took for compulsive buying/shopping as well as OCD, but it didn't really work, even at the supratherapeutic dose of 30 mg/day.
- benztropine (Cogentin) 0.5-2 mg bid prn: a wonder for akathisia and other EPS, but can't take for too many days in a row or I lose my close-up vision and get extremely dry throat/mouth
- glycopyrrolate (Robinul Forte) 2 mg qid (8 mg): miracle drug for hyperhidrosis without causing too many anticholinergic side effects; downside is dry mouth/throat and occasional constipation (8 mg/day is the max dose for hyperhidrosis)