CrazyBoards.org

world events contributing to apocalyptic delusions

Is anyone else having an issue with world events contributing to apocalyptic (or other) delusions, or heightened anxiety because of world events?  I'm still recovering from a psychotic episode from last September/October, and the last few months of the virus and subsequent economic things seem to have amped up some of the psychotic symptoms.  Sometimes I even wonder if I'm somehow responsible for all this world chaos, which I know I'm not, and then I'm stuck in an internal conflict with myself.  I also think people are mad at me when they're not, think I've made a horrible nameless mistake when I haven't, and even worry about end-of-the-world type crap.  My pdoc and I are tweaking my Zyprexa dose to see if we can't get me feeling better, but in the meantime, I was just curious if anyone else feels this way.

18 hours ago, Motoko said:

Is anyone else having an issue with world events contributing to apocalyptic (or other) delusions, or heightened anxiety because of world events?  I'm still recovering from a psychotic episode from last September/October, and the last few months of the virus and subsequent economic things seem to have amped up some of the psychotic symptoms.  Sometimes I even wonder if I'm somehow responsible for all this world chaos, which I know I'm not, and then I'm stuck in an internal conflict with myself.  I also think people are mad at me when they're not, think I've made a horrible nameless mistake when I haven't, and even worry about end-of-the-world type crap.  My pdoc and I are tweaking my Zyprexa dose to see if we can't get me feeling better, but in the meantime, I was just curious if anyone else feels this way.

Yes, I have some of these symptoms.  Definitely end of society catastrophic events thoughts running round and round in my mind.  On Friday night and Sat. night I take extra Seroquel to combat this - because I don't have to work on the weekend.  You are absolutely not responsible for this world chaos and pandemic.  We are all victims to this terrible international event.  I also have frightening thoughts of catching Covid-19 and being ill in the hospital.  Not a pretty picture of course.  I called my old therapist and did a few Zoom therapy sessions to help cope.  Also would like to get out my old CBT workbook and brush up on catastrophizing.  Cause I am so good at it.  ha ha

21 hours ago, Motoko said:

Trigger warning for suicidal ideation

When my mood was super high for several days and I started to get delusional, on the downswing, I became convinced that I was going to kill someone I live with with Covid-19 and had to kill myself first.  I don't think I am overly worried about it right now, just taking care with masks and gloves and limiting going out.

• 1 month later...

This will sound like a platitude, but I've been seeing way too many people -- probably most people -- going "off the rails" and overeacting (or reacting in a "knee-jerk", under-thought manner) to world and national news events. I mean the non-clinical population at large. It's like the news format has never been better at being inflammatory, Twitter and Facebook and even LinkedIn amplify the importance and emotional impact of things...

I've fully switched off the news six months ago. Whenever I catch a glimpse of it, it makes me somewhat angry. The news is shouty and has full saturated colors and all anchors now seem to be emulating that guy from the film "Network" saying "I want you to get mad grrr". 

If bipolar folks didn't get this (and probably even more strongly), we'd be en route to major breakthroughs in the basic science of mental illness. By which I mean -- if this isn't healthy for people who don't need meds, it can't be healthy for us. Not just news TV, but this whole environment where we're latching on the most important things ever to happen and we travel in ultimate certitude in light of which the other guys are the worst, grrr. 

At this juncture I think everyone would do better to avoid political fights with friends and family. I'm not a medical doctor, this is a kind of speculative sociological generality. But maybe we should be extra careful not to get inflamed with this zeitgeist of absolute certainties.