CrazyBoards.org

I got pulled off of what I am doing at my work to be a floater a couple months ago, which makes me unhappy because I like routine.  However, what is also bothering me is that the task I am doing for the next week is really routine and monotonous.  I was wondering if anyone had any tips on focusing on boring things.  I figure that I can leave tv and music going and maybe do it outside on certain days.  Maybe alarms for controlled breaks and nothing besides that?  I need more exercise.  

• 1 year later...

Tody is a really helpful app for helping me clean without getting sidetracked because i couldn't prioritize or know what needed to be done today when it seems like everything needs to be done today.

i haven't been doing any exercise since lockdown

the kid from videos below has a rule where she has to do x number of exercises before she can open the fridge or do other things she enjoys

adhd reddit has lots of tips, they should really make a wiki list instead of having 5 new threads with ideas every week/// actually i dunno about the "adhd" reddit i mean the adhd women subreddit which of course you can read whatever your gender but they don't want anyone identifying as masculine to post but also everyone is pretty accepting because sometimes an issue is very specific to having being socialized as a girl

the kid has ideas.. she has other videos on this sort of thing too

Edited by Antecedent
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Antecedent said:

Tody is a really helpful app for helping me clean without getting sidetracked because i couldn't prioritize or know what needed to be done today when it seems like everything needs to be done today.

I am so wanting to try this!!!!! Thank you times a million for posting these helpful tips! I get overwhelmed by prioritizing too. I feel like “EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TODAY ASAP RIGHT NOW” too and I get sidetracked and overwhelmed.

Very much appreciated! I’m so scatterbrained. Anything helps! You are fabulous @Antecedent!

• Like 1

An app I really should use more that I think you might find at least partially useful, @Antecedent, is: FlyLadyPlus

Now, don’t hate me if it’s too bogus or too corny. Lol. I have not had the focus to play with it extensively. But some of it I did find helpful. It’s a checklist-like format if I remember correctly. I do like a good checklist!

Just throwing it out there. It’s free so that’s a big plus. If you hate it, delete it! No sweat!

On 10/9/2021 at 5:12 PM, Wonderful.Cheese said:

An app I really should use more that I think you might find at least partially useful, @Antecedent, is: FlyLadyPlus

Now, don’t hate me if it’s too bogus or too corny. Lol. I have not had the focus to play with it extensively. But some of it I did find helpful. It’s a checklist-like format if I remember correctly. I do like a good checklist!

Just throwing it out there. It’s free so that’s a big plus. If you hate it, delete it! No sweat!

Edit: I wrote a really long post so I am going to hilight the stuff that isn't just rant:

Flyladyplus looks really cool! Does it have  a Tomboy mode? ha ha. I'm on her website now http://www.flylady.net/ I love it, it's so web 1.0, which is my aesthetic, even in purple and pink. It's very cool I gotta check it out. I broke my phone two days ago and had to start over with tody which was soooo sad. If i'd had a cover for the phone it would have been fine, it was sitting on the kitchen counter and partner spilled water on the counter without either of us noticing and it promptly drank up all the water that it was sitting in :(

It looks quite similar to Tody in some ways, tody doesn't work on some devices so flyladyplus is great to have as an option as well. Just looking at the sample chores.. "remove all cobwebs" and my thought process first was: what's wrong with cobwebs? And then I said, well ok, maybe I should remove them for if we have guests, and now I've decided to wait till after halloween.

Tody allows me to set it to "relaxed" as well which is nice, doing three things a day for me is often a lot, so I'm not penalized that some things end up being overdue. You have the option to compete with Dusty and I have him set on easy. He says really funny little motivational quotes like "a messy house keeps guests away!" .

There's no punishment which is really necessary because with Habitica if you didn't do the chore your character would lose hitpoints, so I ended up cheating! Habitica is pretty cool but you can't set recurring tasks and that's such a huge deal, the "do this every 3 days" type tasks. Keeping the counter clear, for example, is a tiny tiny tiny job if I do it every 3 days but it was a HUGE job when I was doing it every now and then, though the plan was to always have it clear, I couldn't organize that in my head at all. I never knew when it was due, I never knew when it was time to clean it, and there is always something else to clean and how do I pick? It must sound so easy to people who have all their executive functioning working, but now I have this app to take over where my brain is lacking.

I would have been one of those hunter-gatherers who just left their camp forever every time it got messy. I do have this urge to move to new places all the time, I think that's how I'm wired, it just doesn't work in this era and when you have 7 billion people on the planet as opposed to 10,000 it's pretty harmful to just get up and leave your mess behind you!

• Like 1

also thinking about focusing on boring things... I don't know what the task is like... but

change things about it, e.g. swap to dark mode, do it in a different room, change the language of the interface to something you learned in high school to make it harder, maybe there are two different programs for the same task and you can swap between them, swap between sitting and a standing desk (kitchen counter with a box on it can work, but be careful about typing like that because if your arms are reaching up to type you can get carpal tunnel)

change, novelty, simulated urgency, set a timer and see how many you can do in x amount of time then try to beat the record, i dunno! I'm trying to do something boring at the moment and god i just procrastinate all day long. I need to set myself a time limit so i will make myself do it I think, "these 3 hours are for the task!!!" rather than saying "ah i'll do it in a minute"

Edited by Antecedent
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Antecedent said:

Does it have  a Tomboy mode? ha ha.

Lol!!!!! I know, right?

And then I said, well ok, maybe I should remove them for if we have guests, and now I've decided to wait till after halloween.

Lol!!!!! You are absolutely hilarious! Oh, A! You crack me up! Thank you for the laughs!

Tody allows me to set it to "relaxed" as well

Good to know. I still want to try Tody. Maybe today I’ll get it if I have time. 

I do have this urge to move to new places all the time

I have that urge too! I feel like up and moving to start fresh with cleaning and everything to a new place! I think about it from time to time lol!!!!!

On 10/12/2021 at 6:22 AM, Antecedent said:

also thinking about focusing on boring things... I don't know what the task is like... but

change things about it, e.g. swap to dark mode, do it in a different room, change the language of the interface to something you learned in high school to make it harder, maybe there are two different programs for the same task and you can swap between them, swap between sitting and a standing desk (kitchen counter with a box on it can work, but be careful about typing like that because if your arms are reaching up to type you can get carpal tunnel)

change, novelty, simulated urgency, set a timer and see how many you can do in x amount of time then try to beat the record, i dunno! I'm trying to do something boring at the moment and god i just procrastinate all day long. I need to set myself a time limit so i will make myself do it I think, "these 3 hours are for the task!!!" rather than saying "ah i'll do it in a minute"

I love your ideas! Thank you for sharing them!!!!!

• Like 1