CrazyBoards.org

I've been borderline hypertensive for over a year.  

Toby just started on meds for that and has started monitoring his BP (we got an at-home machine a couple of hours ago).  

I've been measuring mine.  

Suddenly it's in the 90s/60s or even lower.  I know 90/60 is still normal, but that my blood pressure is suddenly so much lower...what's up with that?

I've had a few episodes of feeling woozy that I thought was low blood sugar from metformin, even though it's not supposed to lower blood sugar.  But, perhaps I had low blood pressure instead?

My meds - 20mg zyprexa, 1000mg metformin, 1.3ml of CBD, 300mg lamotrigine, 900mg gabapentin.  Lamotrigine and gabapentin aren't new. 

I know @dancesintherain has low blood pressure, and takes zyprexa...

I've done some googling and haven't turned out anything obvious.  CBD is a possible?

Posted (edited)

@jarn, yes it's possible for olanzapine to cause lowered BP.......

https://www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Treatments/Mental-Health-Medications/Types-of-Medication/Olanzapine-(Zyprexa)  

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/18192-olanzapine-tablets

I also found a link about high doses of CBD causing "modest " drop in blood pressure, although I have no experience with CBD and don't know what's considered a "high dose":

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/cbd-effects-on-blood-pressure-and-heart-rate/CBD-blood-pressure/

For what's it's worth, I have low normal BP, too, about the same range as yours..........My BP tends to be lowest in the morning, and goes up a bit as the day goes on..........My pdoc doesn't seem too concerned about it.

If you're concerned and worried about it, I suggest calling and talking to your doc.

Edited by CrazyRedhead

Thanks CR!  

Today's a holiday here so no doctor - I was going to get in touch tomorrow.  It's the same at night time, and that's last night even after running and caffeine.  

I think I'm okay, it's just - what is causing this!  I read so many different things about zyprexa I got confused.

Appreciate your help!

2 minutes ago, jarn said:

Thanks CR!  

Today's a holiday here so no doctor - I was going to get in touch tomorrow.  It's the same at night time, and that's last night even after running and caffeine.  

I think I'm okay, it's just - what is causing this!  I read so many different things about zyprexa I got confused.

Appreciate your help!

No problem......I hope you can get it figured out when you talk to doc.

• Like 1

@jarn,  I think my lowering is the combo of antihypertensives that I'm on (prazosin for a while and newly adding on propanalol), rather than a different chemical reaction.

My normal, healthy blood pressure is right about 95/65. So on the low side, but nothing to fret about. But during the few weeks I was on Zyprexa, it fell into the 80/50 range. I looked it up at the time, didn’t bookmark it, but can probably find the link again: low BP is a rare but known side effect of Zyprexa.

Ah. Here:

https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/psychiatric-medications/zyprexa-olanzapine-patient-information

Ooh yes, you guys have better googling skills than me!  I suspect zyprexa is the culprit.

Husband thinks I should do 7 day monitoring protocol and then call dr.  I don't think they can do anything though?  It's sometimes too low but normally just low.