CrazyBoards.org
Catnapper

Changing pdocs temporarily - coronavirus and logistical issues

This post could go in a few different forums, but I put it here in the hopes to get more views. It has to do with switching ECT providers temporarily because my initial ECT provider has shut down due to the coronavirus. I have found another program nearby that's still operating, so as a courtesy and because I like to keep everything in the open, I asked both my regular pdoc and my ECT pdoc if they thought it would be a problem if I went to the new place for treatment until the old ECT place opens back up. 

They both agreed that I was free to choose my treatment providers. My regular pdoc didn't think it was a good idea because as he said, "Too many cooks spoil the soup". However, he has given me the required referral to the new program and sent over my records. He's okay with doing an initial consultation with a new ECT doctor, although he's not thrilled with me starting the actual physical treatment there and then returning to the old program. The actual physical ECT treatment is tweaked on a regular basis depending on the patient's response, so there's a possibility that a new program could switch things around quite a bit.

The ECT pdoc never really answered the question and said she has never been in a situation where she has had a patient start with their program, switch to a different program temporarily, and then return. Her recommendation was to follow the advice of my regular pdoc because he knows me the best. The more I have thought about the call with the ECT pdoc, the more I have wondered why her response wasn't something like, "We're thrilled that ECT has helped you, and we're sorry our program is temporarily shut down, but we're happy to coordinate with a new provider and will welcome you back for further treatment once our program resumes treatment." 

Although I have spoken with the coordinator at the new place, I haven't talked with any of their doctors yet, so it's possible the new ECT pdoc may refuse to treat me and this could become a non-issue, but in the meantime I'm trying to understand my existing doctors' reasoning. Do you think it's unreasonable for me to expect that both my regular pdoc and the ECT pdoc would support me in an attempt to continue treatment that is clearly beneficial to me?  

When I switched pdocs due to a change of insurance, I expected them to coordinate, but they said it didn’t work that way. Now, that seems odd, because if it was, say, a heart or kidney problem, they would coordinate. Somehow it’s different with psych issues, apparently. So I’m not surprised you’re hearing this. Doesn’t make sense to me, but seems standard. 

On 5/28/2020 at 1:45 PM, sugarsugar said:

When I switched pdocs due to a change of insurance, I expected them to coordinate, but they said it didn’t work that way. Now, that seems odd, because if it was, say, a heart or kidney problem, they would coordinate. Somehow it’s different with psych issues, apparently. So I’m not surprised you’re hearing this. Doesn’t make sense to me, but seems standard. 

Yes, it seems odd to me, too. And what makes it more strange to me is that although my regular p/tdoc knows me really well and it would be impossible to replicate our relationship, ECT treatment is a 3-D physical medical procedure with just 5 - 10 minutes spent talking to the pdoc ahead of the procedure. There are three pdocs that rotate in and out, so from my perspective it's much more akin to a heart or kidney problem.   

I"m happy to say this has become a non-issue! The ECT program I've been using is starting back up again, and my next treatment is scheduled for June 12th! I can't wait!!!

• Like 2

That’s good news. I guess that’s good tiing, albeit later than ideal, but still. I hope it’s helpful again. 

That's great news catnapper!  I know you've been missing it and how much it helped you.