CrazyBoards.org

Invega for schizoaffective disorder?

I was recently diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I am now on 6 mg of Invega and doing well, aside from the depressive crash I'm in after some brief hypomanic symptoms. Does anyone else take Invega for schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia? Or even bipolar, depression? I don't know much about this drug, I'd never even heard of it. 

How has it worked for you?

24 minutes ago, saoirse said:

I was recently diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. I am now on 6 mg of Invega and doing well, aside from the depressive crash I'm in after some brief hypomanic symptoms. Does anyone else take Invega for schizoaffective disorder or schizophrenia? Or even bipolar, depression? I don't know much about this drug, I'd never even heard of it. 

How has it worked for you?

Invega is a metabolite of Risperdal, if you've ever tried that. 6 mgs seems to be in line with a good starting dosage. It is specifically approved to treat schizoaffective, I can't think of others that are (which doesn't necessarily mean it will work better than other APs) I am not sure how it fares with depression... I know Risperdal is not typically a first-line depression option on its own, so I assume that Invega would be similar in that regard. However, I am sure there are people  here who have had it help their depression, so YMMV on that one. 

5 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Invega is a metabolite of Risperdal, if you've ever tried that. 6 mgs seems to be in line with a good starting dosage. It is specifically approved to treat schizoaffective, I can't think of others that are (which doesn't necessarily mean it will work better than other APs) I am not sure how it fares with depression... I know Risperdal is not typically a first-line depression option on its own, so I assume that Invega would be similar in that regard. However, I am sure there are people  here who have had it help their depression, so YMMV on that one. 

Thanks for your response. I did some googling and it seems that Invega isn't known for helping depression very much (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm also on lithium. I just started the lithium last week. I really hope the lithium starts working soon because I have a lot to get done. 

I was on 6mg of Invega for about 3 months after being on clozapine for 2 years. It definitely helped with mood and psychosis, but not enough as I was still having symptoms and insomnia, so I got back on clozapine, my tried and true antipsychotic. I found Invega to be stimulating too, and I tend to regress on any med that is stimulating.

3 minutes ago, Butterflykisses said:

I was on 6mg of Invega for about 3 months after being on clozapine for 2 years. It definitely helped with mood and psychosis, but not enough as I was still having symptoms and insomnia, so I got back on clozapine, my tried and true antipsychotic. I found Invega to be stimulating too, and I tend to regress on any med that is stimulating.

Thank you for your reply. I've been almost desperate enough to ask for clozapine in the past when other meds weren't working, but I was too afraid of weight gain. I agree that the Invega is stimulating and I usually don't do well on stimulating drugs either, but so far it seems to be working okay. It's definitely not as stimulating as some of the antidepressants I've been on in the past, for example. I'm glad that clozapine works so well for you. 

2 hours ago, saoirse said:

Thanks for your response. I did some googling and it seems that Invega isn't known for helping depression very much (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm also on lithium. I just started the lithium last week. I really hope the lithium starts working soon because I have a lot to get done. 

yeah you really got to take your time with lithium for a few reasons.... going up too fast or without monitoring can cause hefty side effects, typically bloodwork is needed to find the right dose balance. also, it has been shown to help depression (sometimes) when at lower doses... they occasionally use very low dose lithium as an add-on for treatment resistant depression. and with all that, lithium is not known to be super fast acting, but once it builds up and the level stabilizes it is often worth the patience 

4 minutes ago, aura said:

Invega made me lactate and cause painful tenderness in my breasts. I barely lasted two weeks on it. I hope you have more success!

I had similar issues with risperdal which it is related to.

I THINK I took 9mg...it worked until it didn't and I started randomly hallucinating.  It made me lactate so I took medication to control that (in case you were wondering about the lactation issue, there are ways to deal with it).  

• 4 weeks later...