CrazyBoards.org

May I have some input about my meds?

Nothing makes me sleep really well except Seroquel. However, the Seroquel makes me so depressed now that I'm useless for the rest of the day. Also, however, my new doc (whom I do really like) insists that Seroquel helps depression. After consulting with 3 sleep doctors, they all agree that my severe insomnia is directly related to my bipolar mania.  (I can only take a smaller amount of lithium because of severe memory loss bordering on total amnesia with the larger amounts).

I have Ambien CR, but do not get a good night sleep with it (and you know how we need REM sleep). Lunesta does not work, nothing nothing else works on me.

1. How do I convince my doctor that his precious edict about Seroquel and depression is not true in my case? Is there any literature to support this? (Even Depakote made me severely depressed, too and the docs don't believe that).

2. Should I choose to have good sleep and be depressed (despite my Zoloft), or have bad sleep and feel happy?

Have you ever tried amitriptyline? It's a very sedating tri-cyclic antidepressant. Neither Ambien nor temazepam would keep me asleep more than a couple of hours, but the amitriptyline lets me sleep a full night's sleep.

It carries the standard warning for antidepressants and mania, but is still used for bipolar depression and/or insomnia. I guess it's one of those things where you won't know until you try it.

The therapeutic dosage is something like 150 mgs, but you can get the sleep effects from as little as 25 - 50 mgs about an hour before bed. And, it's super cheap. My last script for 30 25-mg tablets cost a whopping $1.42.

Anyway, I hope you can get some good sleep soon. Insomnia sucks.

Greeny

It is, indeed, true that Seroquel tends to help with depressions.  If it's not in your case (mileage varying and whatnot), then tell your doc it doesn't.  If need be, remind him that meds work differently for different. people.  Be insistent.  Ask for something else; it may be that another AP (Zyprexa maybe?) will work for the sleep while not causing the depression; it may even help fight it.  APs added to ADs (Symbyax, anyone?) have been shown to boost yhe efficacy of the antidepressant.  Dunno, but it's worth a shot to try something else.

Good sleep?  Be depressed?  Shit, I say have your cake and eat it too.  Go for good sleep+happy fun good times.  it's not impossibel.  (Or so I've been told)

Have you ever tried trazedone? its an anti dpressant that works much better as a sleep aid-but you may get some AD effect even on low doses. I swore by this for 10 years- depending on moods etc- i'd take any where from 25 to 200 mg. ( i think a real AD dose could be up to 800- but it would make people too sleepy so it got kind of switched from being an Ad to a sleep med)

it was the first med they gave me on my first hospitalization- they said they couldn't do anything with me until i could sleep.

ambien never worked for me- i'd fall asleep, then 3 hrs later pop up and could never go back.

now i take a combo of low dose lithium, low dose serequel and ativan, which works pretty well most of the time.

Have you ever tried amitriptyline? It's a very sedating tri-cyclic antidepressant. Neither Ambien nor temazepam would keep me asleep more than a couple of hours, but the amitriptyline lets me sleep a full night's sleep.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Greeny, yes I took 25 mg of amitryptilene for a couple of years for diabetic neuropathy that went away. It had absolutely NO drowsiness effect on me whatsoever. I'll talk to my pdoc about it, because if it even worked better than temezepam for you, maybe I have not explored it thoroughly yet.

Have you ever tried trazedone? its an anti dpressant that works much better as a sleep aid-but you may get some AD effect even on low doses. I swore by this for 10 years- depending on moods etc- i'd take any where from 25 to 200 mg. ( i think a real AD dose could be up to 800- but it would make people too sleepy so it got kind of switched from being an Ad to a sleep med)

it was the first med they gave me on my first hospitalization- they said they couldn't do anything with me until i could sleep.

ambien never worked for me- i'd fall asleep, then 3 hrs later pop up and could never go back.

now i take a combo of low dose lithium, low dose serequel and ativan, which works pretty well most of the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trazedone does nothing but make me a little dizzy. Nothing. If you can combine those meds safety, then I will start trying to combine Ambien with a very lose of Seroquel. I need to save my benzo for the daytime.

What about an old style antipsychotic? I have (had) severe insomnia even when not particularly manic, and nothing worked. Benzos and AAPs did nothing. So we tried chlorpromazine out of desperation and it has really helped.

Might be something to consider?

Archived