CrazyBoards.org

I take 20mg of Zyprexa right now.  I find it doesn't make me fall asleep.  But - I have SO much trouble waking up and staying awake.

It wasn't like this at 10mg - then I found it activating.  I could get up early!  Now I struggle to wake up and it's basically only Toby waking me up.  I start work later than I'd like (I am working from home at the moment due to COVID) and often fall asleep during the day.  I slept for 2.5hr this morning on the couch.  I only woke up when our dog walker knocked.  (She's coming in once a week).  

I have an appointment with pdoc tomorrow.  I think I will ask to go back down to 10mg or even 15mg and have an additional PRN that I can take if I need it.

Today probably wasn't helped by me needing to take an ativan (.5mg) last night as the CBD oil did not fully stop the akathisia.  

Edited by jarn

I should note that it's not like we tried 10 and 15mg and I was still psychotic.  20mg was always the goal (I think because starting low on Haldol was such a failure).  So I think I could try a lower dosage.

1 hour ago, Iceberg said:

I often had this issue too, trying the lower dose might help, but when I was at 20 I could never fix the problem 

That helps...thanks.  I really can't remember what 15mg was like but 20mg has been a nightmare in terms of daytime sedation.  I take it at bedtime too

Thanks @dancesintherain.  I was on the lower doses for such a short time I honestly don't know if I would have issues or not.  But I think it's either provigil to wake up (not preferred; did that on seroquel) or lowering the dosage.  I slept for 2.5 hrs this morning while 'working' and I'm still tired.  I've drank 2L of diet pepsi (not a coffee person and tea does not deliver enough caffeine) and that's still only made a dent.

If it helps, I've also rested while working over the past few months.  I can't fall asleep, so it's not a full-fledged nap.  but it's the same idea.  And I match your caffeine consumption. 

Don't know if the commiseration helps, but you aren't the only one.  I figure if I'm getting my work done, the way I get there doesn't matter as much.l 

• Like 1

Pdoc said to go down to 15mg.  I may ask to go down to 10mg if 15mg isn't enough, but I think he's concerned about my stability.  So we shall see how it goes.  Fingers crossed!

4 minutes ago, jarn said:

That's good advice @Iceberg, thanks.  Especially since I suppose half-life or what have you could have the 20mg dosage hanging around longer than I think.

And even after that, it takes time to reorient a sleep schedule even after the meds are dialed down 

That makes sense @Iceberg

I was bad last night - the pharmacy didn't have the prescription (it's possible it hadn't been sent yet, though I was also talking to the shockingly dumb assistant, so who knows) so instead of cutting one 10mg pill in half so I could take 15mg I was lazy and just took 10mg.  SO much easier to wake up!  And I'm staying awake!!!!!!!  Shocker!  

So I am hopeful for 15mg.  

I just called the pharmacy and spoke to someone who is not a dumb person, and it hasn't been received, so I've emailed pdoc's office.  They're usually pretty quick.  

Edited by jarn

On 6/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, jarn said:

I take 20mg of Zyprexa right now.  I find it doesn't make me fall asleep.  But - I have SO much trouble waking up and staying awake.

It wasn't like this at 10mg - then I found it activating.  I could get up early!  Now I struggle to wake up and it's basically only Toby waking me up.  I start work later than I'd like (I am working from home at the moment due to COVID) and often fall asleep during the day.  I slept for 2.5hr this morning on the couch.  I only woke up when our dog walker knocked.  (She's coming in once a week).  

I have an appointment with pdoc tomorrow.  I think I will ask to go back down to 10mg or even 15mg and have an additional PRN that I can take if I need it.

Today probably wasn't helped by me needing to take an ativan (.5mg) last night as the CBD oil did not fully stop the akathisia.  

If you're experiencing legitimate akathisia, there are better options than lorazepam (couldn't say for CBD), especially if you are taking it frequently. 

I think my pdoc suggest ativan in part because I already have a script for it.  The hospital gave me some other stuff (I forget what) that was useless.  The CBD works very well though, as a daily med.