CrazyBoards.org

Touching med strips with wet hands?

I'm in another country and we also get the vast majority of our meds in blister packs like that.  In my experience the packages are very tightly sealed, so if you were just touching a strip, I can't see how you could harm the pills.  I wouldn't pop one out with wet hands though, because then you may risk causing part of the outer covering of the pill itself to start dissolving.  Overall, it's probably best just to make sure that your hands are clean and dry before handling any meds.

I am moving this to another board (Miscellaneous Meds/Questions about Meds), as it is more a general question than something unique to the clozapine shown in your pics.

29 minutes ago, MiaB said:

In my experience the packages are very tightly sealed, so if you were just touching a strip, I can't see how you could harm the pills.

So if my hands were just wet and i just touched the strip it wont damage them ?

1.  Does it feel wet? 

2. Were you handling all the strips of pills in the box with wet hands for an extended period?

3.  If so, have you made sure that the outside is dry?

I'm not sure how to assist further.  With apologies for repeating myself, these blister packs are very securely sealed. They are produced in the factory/at a manufacturing point and not created by a pharmacist to assist with, for example, medication compliance in the elderly.

Unless you were standing handling them under a running tap, it's highly unlikely that the pills inside the blister pack will have gotten wet.  Just wipe the strips with a tissue if that will ease your mind.  And as I said, make sure that you don't pop out a pill with wet hands - that should be the first time you actually come into contact with the pill itself, and you don't want moisture to touch it then.  Otherwise they are safe.

Seriously, of the eight assorted meds that I am on, only one comes loose in a bottle.  The rest of them are all in blister packs.  I have been receiving medication in this type of packaging for many years and have never had a problem with moisture getting into the pill itself without direct pill to wet hand contact.

Clinic - In future, if you are uncertain about the proper way to store or handle your medication, contact your pharmacist or the manufacturer. They can answer your question directly and specifically. And quicker than we can.