CrazyBoards.org

Manic hoarding maybe?

I have reached a tipping point from extremely cluttered to the home of a hoarder. Finally I’ve decided this is the result, I think, of stress leading to hypomanic spending and maybe a little more adhd than usual making it even harder to organize the growing amount of stuff. So finally after checking in with my pdoc, I’ve gone up on my meds. Already I’m feeling able to stop the spending and starting to figure out how to get rid of things (like what, I’m not sure) and how to organize what’s left. I may even have to abandon my plan of donating everything I can and actually toss things because with covid, places don’t want/won’t accept donations.   I admit the more manic I get, the more this gets to be an issue. 

Anyone else end up overwhelmed by their manic purchases piling up?  They seem so necessary at the time. What do you do to get out from under?  I’m hoping as med levels ramp up I’ll be able to sort this out better. 

This may not be doable right now because of the pandemic, but hiring a professional organizer for just a few hours can be really helpful, and many of them will cart stuff away to be donated for you. They charge between $40-$100 an hour, but you can get a lot done in even a couple hours, and you'll be left with advice on how to do more.

I did find a partial solution. I found a business that will come and collect your things, and take them for donation, recycling, and trash. I have to pay but if they’ll take what I can get ready, I’ll have space and the ability to get to the next layer of stuff to sort it, too. I hope I can keep up my momentum to sort and toss. When I lose that it’s all to a standstill. I need to get rid of things whenever I am able. I envy those who don’t acquire and are more minimalist but I’ve never been there. I’d at least like to have usable rooms. 

• Like 1

In a perfect world I’d gather things and take for donation myself. Well ok maybe I wouldn’t need to. But as things are, I need to just pay someone. I’ve asked friends to help with dump runs in the past for large items but this is a lot of stuff and I actually don’t want people to know things are this bad—anyone with this issue can probably relate to that. Right now I’m filling bags with stuff pretty easily unless I stop to think about it but I know that can end. Honestly I wish I did manic cleaning rather than manic buying but apparently it doesn’t work that way in my brain. 

I had some variant of this when I was single. Like having all these threads -- I'm going to be a DJ and make robots and collect Russian film cameras and buy boxes of *prime* slide stock so I can xpro... 

Getting married did me a lot of good. Even if you're in a good place where you don't have to explain yourself, having someone around who lives at constant speed and makes you slow down and explain "yeah, I've got this pile of textbooks on orbital mechanics because...."

Telehealth appointment went fine, better than in person in a mask, for me. However he had some new ideas. One is to consider a change of meds, not just doses. That’s on hold for the moment. The other is to see a therapist, which I have not done in years. The purpose would be to deal with getting out from under the current hoarding effects on my home and life, and get back into a routine, which has been disrupted by covid. I said I would agree to that. I’ve had mixed experiences with therapists. The last one was nice but useless and I felt she didn’t really understand much about me, although I was seeing her for a specific purpose. I stopped after a couple visits. Let’s hope this goes better. Actually I’ve mentioned the manic hoarding issue before and I don’t think pdoc understood. Maybe seeing stacks of stuff behind me got the message across. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 9:09 PM, sugarsugar said:

Telehealth appointment went fine, better than in person in a mask, for me. However he had some new ideas. One is to consider a change of meds, not just doses. That’s on hold for the moment. The other is to see a therapist, which I have not done in years. The purpose would be to deal with getting out from under the current hoarding effects on my home and life, and get back into a routine, which has been disrupted by covid. I said I would agree to that. I’ve had mixed experiences with therapists. The last one was nice but useless and I felt she didn’t really understand much about me, although I was seeing her for a specific purpose. I stopped after a couple visits. Let’s hope this goes better. Actually I’ve mentioned the manic hoarding issue before and I don’t think pdoc understood. Maybe seeing stacks of stuff behind me got the message across. 

Glad your appointment went well. I'm doing weekly pdoc visits (he also does therapy) via Zoom, and I'm not crazy about it, but it's better than nothing. I've not really had the experience of manic shopping, but I'm always fighting hoarding and it's horrible. The years-long depressive episodes means very little ever leaves the house during those times, including me. The inertia of depression may be nearly as bad as the pain, at least for me. My mom was a world class hoarder - I found my Brownie uniform at her house when I was about 35, and I was the youngest, so there was no one she was saving it for. Hoarding is so stressful. When I'm well my house is magazine photo-ready, but when I'm down, it's so embarrassing that I won't let anyone visit.

I don't know how you're set for cash, but hiring an organizer was the best thing I ever did, by far. I had been moved into this house about a year, and the movers had unpacked, which means they unbox everything and take away the packing materials, but nothing gets put away. The organizer came in, dove in, and suggested where things should be put, and then she put them there. I was with her the whole time, as is her usual practice, so it's not like she came in and took over and I couldn't find anything later. She was so fast! And by the time it was over with, I had a junk hauler come and take away the trash, of which there was a lot, and also take things for donation. I forget what it cost now, but it was so worth it to me. She completely organized a three-bedroom house with a small garage in a day and a half, and it was a total wreck when she started.  

I hope you get some empty space soon, no matter how you get there. Actually, I wrote this post while I was taking a break from taking out the garbage. I probably should call the organizer back myself, now that I think about it. I could use some empty space myself.

I’m a bit of a stress hoarder and depression or manic moments both make it worse. I can get rid of some things, some times. But it’s a struggle to maintain order. Supposedly the therapist is to help me with this specifically but via video visits, so we’ll see. I suspect getting rid of things is key since I have shelves etc but too much stuff. I can see the value in an organizer for sure. I don’t know the answer but I’m hoping this therapist will be of help and not just say to set a timer and clean for 15 minute increments.