CrazyBoards.org

So Breonna Taylor was murdered in her sleep by police officers who were executing a search warrant (for someone who had already been arrested).  Her boyfriend thought they were intruders and shot once in their direction, they returned fire and Breonna was killed.

today is her birthday, so her story is all in the news.

One of my traumas is a drug raid.  I understand the fear, the confusion, the overwhelming show of power.  I understand having a gun pointed at your head, being handcuffed, and being left waiting while the whole apartment is searched.  And I remember being there with my 15-year-old client who did a few different disturbing things but otherwise did a great job (i..don't try to pass me drug money). 

This killing is raising those memories, which is making it difficult to fall asleep.  I'm going to resort to DBT's TIPP skill and find some ice to see if that calms e down.  But I'm open to other suggestions if that doesn't work.  I can't visualize, so viualization based strategies unfortunately can't work for me.

I'm so sorry to hear you are having a bad time right now. The only thing I can think of is to give emotional buffers. No news (or screens even) 1 hour before bed/waking up. If something triggers you, having a bland but engaging activity to do afterwards (sorting socks, cleaning grout, etc.) I've found it helpful when the news has been triggering

thanks @ananke.  last night the ice  helped re-regulate me.  But you make very good points.  I tend to watch the 7pm news then go to bed bed around 7:30-8.   I'm lame like that).  I should push that back a bit so there's a longer gape between news and bed. 

Edited by dancesintherain

Some meds that may help treat hyperarousal:

• SSRIs (particularly sertraline, seemingly, but I'm not sure if you can tolerate any of these) and the MAOI phenelzine (Nardil)
  • Buspirone (doesn't seem to be too effective, really, at all...)
  • Benzos (You're already on 3... Long-acting tend to be better... Klonopin has serotonergic properties and may be a superior agent in this application)
  • Lithium (you're taking this)
  • Anticonvulsants (doesn't say which one... Topiramate I know is used for PTSD but I don't know if it targets just nightmares or hyperarousal as well... Carbamazepine is mentioned for controlling poor impulse control related to PTSD but no idea if it works for hyperarousal... valproic acid and gabapentin may be beneficial...)
  • (Possibly clonidine or guanfacine) (gotta be careful since you're on prazosin and propranolol...)
  • Beta-blockers (you're on propranolol)
  • Cannabinoids (medical marijuana if available where you live, or synthetic cannabinoids manufactured by pharmaceutical companies like possibly dronabinol (a THC-based drug, (–)-trans-Δ⁹-THC, used as an antiemetic in chemo patients as well as a weight gaining/appetite stimulating agent in AIDs patients, even though there isn't any evidence supporting its use in PTSD... yet...), nabiximols (a standardized herbal extract oral mucosal spray, not sure if it's available by prescription and where it's available... it has a ratio of approximately 1:1 of CBD and THC content), Epidiolex (cannabidiol) (a pure CBD-based drug used as an anticonvulsant for seizures associated with Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, two rare forms of epilepsy), and nabilone (a THC-based drug used as an antiemetic for chemo patients, a racemic mixture consisting of (S,S)-(+)- and (R,R)-(–)-isomers (of THC?)).

Also, you may ask about temporarily increasing your prazosin dose for the time being until things settle down. You can take daytime prazosin doses as well as bedtime doses (higher doses at night may be better to help with nightmares, sleep, etc., where a lower daytime dose 1-2 times a day can improve core PTSD symptoms). Maybe like 1 mg prazosin 1-2 times per day, then like 5 mg at bedtime? (If that's not too much... You could play around with it if you were given a whole bunch of 1 mg or 2 mg capsules or both, maybe 30x 5 mg capsules too...)

It seems like a lot of what there is to try I've either tried or I'm already doing.  Sadly.  I appreciate the ideas.

I think my BP is too low from the prazosin/propanolol combination for me to be able to increase the prazosin, unfortunately. 

This may be a put the therapy skills into  asction step.

12 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

It seems like a lot of what there is to try I've either tried or I'm already doing.  Sadly.  I appreciate the ideas.

I think my BP is too low from the prazosin/propanolol combination for me to be able to increase the prazosin, unfortunately. 

This may be a put the therapy skills into  asction step.

I'm not your doctor, but I know from my past experiences that when I had super complex  cocktails, the "try and manage by therapy skill set" was always an advisable first option if only cuz I knew getting on the med go round again would not be a simple/fast process