CrazyBoards.org

Antidepressants(for ocd) without drug interactions?

So far i know 2 meds which dont have drug interactions.

1. escitalopram(lexapro) - No significant actions on CYP450
  2. desvenlafaxine(Pristiq) - metabolized by CYP450 3A4 but does not inhibit or induce anything

Any other meds for ocd without drug interactions ? 

I dont want meds which increase dopamine like sertraline as they make my psychosis worse.

Edited by clinic

I like the Drugs.com interactions checker at https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

It has a tab for "professional" which goes into the interaction in a more detailed manner.

There will always be interactions, it is important to not freak over them. Many are theoretical, minor, or moderate. Some interactions are desirable. The do not take together for any reason type of interactions are few and far between.

On 6/8/2020 at 11:20 AM, clinic said:

So far i know 2 meds which dont have drug interactions.

1. escitalopram(lexapro) - No significant actions on CYP450
  2. desvenlafaxine(Pristiq) - metabolized by CYP450 3A4 but does not inhibit or induce anything

Any other meds for ocd without drug interactions ? 

I dont want meds which increase dopamine like sertraline as they make my psychosis worse.

You say interactions, but then mention particular enzymes. Are you looking for antidepressants that aren't metabolized by certain enzymes or what?

When most people say interactions, they're usually referring to interactions between two or more prescription medications, not enzyme pathways.

9 hours ago, psychwardjesus said:

You say interactions, but then mention particular enzymes. Are you looking for antidepressants that aren't metabolized by certain enzymes or what?

When most people say interactions, they're usually referring to interactions between two or more prescription medications, not enzyme pathways.

well in laymans terms, im just looking for antidepressants which do not increase the blood levels of my antipsychotic(clozapine)

Yes i mean interactions between two or more meds

Edited by clinic

9 hours ago, clinic said:

well in laymans terms, im just looking for antidepressants which do not increase the blood levels of my antipsychotic(clozapine)

Yes i mean interactions between two or more meds

Well then, I provided you with a link to an interaction checker. Use it. Then if you have questions bring them to the list but I agree, this is a doctor or pharmacist question.

Edited by notloki

• 1 month later...

agreed with @notloki & @saintalto that this should be checked with pdoc. 

That being said, pdocs like escitalopram because it has very few interactions, if any. Based on my own experience, if my pdoc gave me the choice between the two for OCD or an anxiety disorder I would stick with the escitalopram and talk to your doctor about a dose increase as long as you tolerate it. Treatment-resistant OCD typically takes higher antidepressant doses, higher than you would use for major depressive disorder or anxiety disorders.

E.g. #1 Fluoxetine is dosed in children at 10mg to start then up to 20mg. 20mg to start in adults and up to 40mg if necessary. However, 60mg and 80mg are often-used for treatment-resistant cases or instances of unresolved anxiety or OCD.

E.g. #2 Depression often responds to escitalopram at a dose of 10mg after about 4 weeks. However, for difficult anxiety and OCD, pdocs will go to 20mg and sometimes even 30mg that I've seen.

@clinic I checked and you have specifically asked for drugs for OCD that do not have interactions before in other threads you started. You should really talk to a doctor or pharmacist about this matter if it concerns you so much you post about this same topic repeatedly. Medical professionals are the only ones who are going to be able to give you the answers you want. We are all just forum members here. You are free to ask and learn about our collective experiences with the understanding we are not a treatment provider. 

Just know that your paroxetine CR is a CYP1A2 inibitor. I don't know how potently it inhibits that enzyme, but it does.

Sertraline, if I'm not mistaken, is just a substrate for CYP1A2. Escitalopram is neither a substrate nor inhibitor of that enzyme.

You and I are a lot a like in some ways. You've got to do everything in your power to real in your obsessions/compulsions so that they don't interfere with your treatment plan. If you worry about whether your medicines or working well together or not, or whether they're interacting ok or not, you'll not get anywhere. Trust me.

People have asked you this question and it seems you gloss over it every time. Do you have a counselor/therapist?