CrazyBoards.org

Has anyone had genetic testing for depression treatment? 

If so, how was your experience with it? How much did it cost? (Did your insurance cover?) Were you able to find better medicines using the results? 

This website explains what genetic testing is in detail. Is your experience similar to what’s described in the link?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/two-takes-depression/201407/genetic-testing-better-depression-treatment

• 2 weeks later...

I know Medicare covers genetic testing for depression, and I've looked into it and talked to my pdoc about it.

As far as its worth goes, at the practice I go to everyone regards it as basically a scam. The test will tell you what you metabolize well, but just because you metabolize something well, it doesn't mean it's going to be an effective medication. Combine that with what it can cost a person - that's why they regard it as basically a scam. If you've tried a lot of different medications, I'm not sure you'd learn anything helpful by doing the testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with 0112358 . The tests don't tell you what meds are best for your situation. The tests give you an idea of what you metabolize well or not. Metabolism is not depression. The tests can tell you which meds you need to take less or more of a med. If you have tried a lot of meds the test is kind of useless.

• Thanks 1